Sign in with
Your question

[Newly Built Comp] Monitor recieves no signal on POST

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2009 2:33:18 AM

Hello! I have recently ordered my build and with help from TomsHardware, I have purchased my build and have put everything together. Before trying a BIOS attempt or a POST without a monitor, I have perfect success. All my fans, parts, lights, etc. work.
NOTE:I have went through the two boot-up problem topics, with no success, so I have created this as a last resort.

Then I attempted a POST with my test monitor to begin my BIOS (A VGA HP 17" CRT). I plugged in the correct part for my VGA display to my GPU port. Once I power up, the monitor turns on, then onto stand-by immediately. Once I unplug my monitor cable from my computer while it's running, it turns onto "No video signal found", so my monitor is working. I am purchasing a new 22" HP Widescreen monitor tomorrow since I need a new monitor, so I'll be able to absolutely rule out a monitor issue here with this new one.
UPDATE:My new monitor does not work either.

I was also thinking it could be something with my GPX card, so I re-installed/re-seated it. Only to try again with failure. It's seated correctly, so that's not an issue.

So I'm wondering what is wrong here, I have no idea. The only thing I could think of was that the VGA input cable was not going all the way into the GPU VGA port, but I'm pretty sure it is plugged all the way in. And the last thoughts of mine, would be a bad graphics card. I would swap out my GTX275 for another card, but I don't have another card to test with. My MoBo doesn't have an onboard video either.

Two out of the four LED Diagnostic lights on my motherboard are lit up on start up. However my manual says nothing about what it means..

Any thoughts on what could be the issue? My parts are listed below.

Case
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
PSU
Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE
MoBo
MSI P55-CD53 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
Op Drive
Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE 22X SATA DVD+/-RW Internal Drive
GPU
GIGABYTE nVidia GeForce GTX275 OC 896MB DDR3 DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card
HDD
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
OS
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee
a b C Monitor
October 10, 2009 2:40:10 AM

Do you hear any beeps?

Double check that you've pluged in your 4/8 pin CPU power.
m
l
October 10, 2009 2:44:48 AM

I cannot hear any beeps since my Mobo doesn't have an system speaker (Has far as I know..) I was planning on picking up a system speaker gadget tomorrow.

My 4Pin CPU power cable is plugged in as well.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
October 10, 2009 2:47:04 AM

You have an MSI board. They usually come with an LED bracket. Did you plug that in. It will give you a light diagnostic instead of a beep code.
m
l
October 10, 2009 2:49:43 AM

AH! Yes, thank you very much for reminding me about that!

I checked my manual about what they meant, however, it only told me the FEATURE. It didn't even tell me what the LED codes meant.

I have 2/4 that are lit up, before and after when the monitor is plugged in.
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 10, 2009 3:20:04 AM

I'm not laughing. I must've missed the joke.
m
l
October 10, 2009 3:36:18 AM

aford10 said:
I'm not laughing. I must've missed the joke.

That's too bad.
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 10, 2009 3:53:51 AM

overshocks said:
That's too bad.

Is retarted post like this how you got your points? We're all very impressed.
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 10, 2009 4:05:56 AM

aFord10 +1

That *** is very annoying overshock
m
l
October 10, 2009 6:07:44 AM

I've already re-seated my graphics card over 3 times. Nothing worked there.

m
l
a b C Monitor
October 10, 2009 6:08:55 AM

Is the fan spinning on the card?
m
l
October 10, 2009 3:08:50 PM

PopcornChicken said:

Then I attempted a POST with my test monitor to begin my BIOS (A VGA HP 17" CRT). I plugged in the correct part for my VGA display to my GPU port. Once I power up, the monitor turns on, then onto stand-by immediately. Once I unplug my monitor cable from my computer while it's running, it turns onto "No video signal found", so my monitor is working.

This could be a longshot but this happened to me also. I have an old flat screen monitor that I hooked up when first booting up. I got the one beep post but no video, unplugged = no video signal, etc.

Problem was the VGA cable. Apparently much older VGA cables have a pin missing that worked fine in the day but when I replaced it with a newer cable I had laying around which had all pins, it worked.
m
l
October 10, 2009 7:25:08 PM

Yep, the fan is spinning perfectly. Both PCI-E power connectors are installed. I would of turned my system off immediately if the fan didn't spin.

Yeah this is an older monitor.. I'll be picking up a new LCD today, most likely the 23" Acer LCD.

Hopefully this will fix the problem, but if it doesn't, I'll be back.

Thanks for the insight supe_!
m
l
October 12, 2009 2:49:35 AM

Update..

New monitor does not work either. I'll try asking EVGA about this problem, until then, any other ideas would could be wrong?

If all else fails I'm just going to RMA.
m
l
a b C Monitor
October 12, 2009 4:14:01 AM

From the light code you mentioned, it's your video card.
m
l
October 13, 2009 10:44:18 PM

Hello again! I just breadboarded my comp. Cleared my CMOS again, removed one out of two sticks of RAM, and turned it on. Bam, success! Got into my BIOS and everything is working as it should.

Don't know what was exactly causing this.. But I'm about to put it back in my case and I hope it boots up again.
m
l
March 6, 2010 6:24:10 AM

PopcornChicken said:
Hello again! I just breadboarded my comp. Cleared my CMOS again, removed one out of two sticks of RAM, and turned it on. Bam, success! Got into my BIOS and everything is working as it should.

Don't know what was exactly causing this.. But I'm about to put it back in my case and I hope it boots up again.

I'm having the same problem right now with my build. I too have followed all of the proper troubleshooting procedures. Were you able to overcome this problem? If you could shoot me a message at william.a.malcom@gmail.com, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
m
l
!