Slow Transfer Speed of external HD in Powered Esata case

ravisghosh

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I got an powered esata enclosure over ebay and put in a Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 500-GB 8-MB buffer Hard Drive inside. I tested it with Linux Disk Utility and the results are:

External HD in powered esata enclosure:
Write Speed: 59 MB/s
Read Speed: 66 MB/s

The speed seems to be way to slow than the promised 3 Gb/s.

Then I checked the transfer speed of my internal hard disk (Western Digital 7200 RPM 16 MB buffer):

Internal HD:
Read Speed: 67 MB/s

Now, I was confused as both are having slow speed of transfer. Can someone give some insight as to what we should expect from an Internal and an External ESATA drives.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
3Gb/s is the theoretical maximum interface bandwidth which is about 375MB/s. The speed you got 66 & 59MB/s which is 528 & 472Mb/s is because the mechanical spin of the device and the density of the platter can only give that that much. The speed is normal for the drive you have.
3Gb/s is the theoretical maximum interface bandwidth which is about 375MB/s. The speed you got 66 & 59MB/s which is 528 & 472Mb/s is because the mechanical spin of the device and the density of the platter can only give that that much. The speed is normal for the drive you have.

Solution