Antec 1200 + idiocy

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hey,

I have an Antec 1200, and I now.. DESPERATELY need to change the filters at the front. I remove both side panels and remove ALL thumbscrews, but can't seem to get the front fans out. I push, I pull, I don't have any HDs or other hardware installed in the compartments, so I should be able to just.. PUSH right?
None of them will budge.

Obviously I'm an idiot as I've not found anyone else having the problem, or daring to admit to having it.

A minute for a moron?

Did you perhaps jam some wires in there or use plastic ties to tie up some wires on the HD cages ? BTW, suggest not putting ALL the thumbscrews back in. We have just two in on each side which is more than enough.

BTW, a shopvac from the outside does wonders cleaning the fans .... taking them out maybe every 3 months for inspection only. A a vac every week or 2.

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Thanks guys, I had the PC built by a local shop 9and they didnt use the panel holes) so the inside is a mess, but the power cord to the fan in the front is ready-installed I believe so they won't have mess that up *hope*.
That means it can only be the power cord of those fans themselves, I'll have to get my head in to have a look but thanks alot guys!! and I'll have a look at a shopvac too!

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hey again guys..

I undo all the thumbscrews, I make sure there are no cables directly next to the drive bay, I tug on the fan's powercord a bit to make sure it's not jammed anywhere. Then I pushed on the bay as hard as I could and nothing happens, then I.. pushed on the back of the fan.. and well yeah, that came off: http://img46.imageshack.us/i/dcam0027.jpg/

But what the hell is the with drive bay? are there MORE things holding it in place?? it looks entirely metal, not plastic. it has 2x2 shelves, meaning room for 3 drives per bay.. that's the part I am to move.... but... AHHH! pic of bay - sorry for quality+lighting: http://img705.imageshack.us/i/dcam0031.jpg/

Makes no sense.

p.s. As the fan I pushed came out (and didn't break a hinge, thankfully) I got access to 2 filters, so I've bought myself time to learn what the HELL I'm doing wrong, or the company made what should be plastic, metal.. just for me.

TheOnion

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Why doesn't Antec join the rest of the major case vendors and make fan filters easy? I can't believe they still use thumb screws too.

I've been spoiled by the push-to-open filter doors and the easy-to-remove-and-clean filters on my Antec P182 case. I'm never going to buy another case that doesn't have something similar:

IMG_7835.jpg

antec_rep

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Hello all,

Actually, I think you're trying too hard, OP! ;)

The tabs for the air filters on the Twelve Hundred are on the top front of the drive cages. Just push the drive cage out about 1-2 inches and you should be able to see the tab laying flat against the top of the cage. Just pull up and poof, the filter should slide right out. :D

Hope this helps.

Did you remove all the thumbscrews on both sides? If all of them were kept when it was assembled, you'll need to remove both side panels to access all of the screws.

Honour3

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hey guys, thanks for the many replies.

Thing is I have no idea where the problem lies. I could record what I do but I don't know how to upload that onto here.

I remove both case side panels, remove ALL thumbscrews (both sides). I leave all the factory-fit tiny screws which are clearly meant to stay there. I push the back of the drive holding bay. Nothing happens no matter how hard I push. I've yanked the fan power cable hard, I'm certain it isn't snagged on anything.

The only other thing that's happened is me pushing on the back of a fan itself, and the front popping out as seen on a picture I linked above.

I have no idea what's wrong. Makes NO sense.

edit: Just to recap. When the fan popped off accidentally as I pushed on it directly (trying to get the drive bay out even 1mm), I changed the 2 filters I gained access to (the middle one which popped out and the one under it).

The problem is that I can't seem to get the bays to budge at all. I'm wondering if my case has some manufacturing fault or something. I can't see wires being the problem.. The bays don't even hint at the possibility of moving either forward or backwards - I can't even make them vibrate.