Overclocking heat problem

M_ROCAL

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hello,

Because my E6550 was getting slow i decided to overclock it. After reading some articles about OC it seemed a good idea to buy a CPU cooler. So i bought myself a Scythe Mugen 2 revision B.
The problem is that when i overclock my fsb to 400Mhz and use the intel burn test my cpu hit temperatures around 70-80 with in seconds. Lowering FSB speed doesnt solve the problem as does tweeking the CPU voltage etc.
There for I was wondering if somebody hear can help me a hand and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

My specs are:
Intel E6550
Asus P5Q Deluxe
Twinx dominator PC8400 2gig Ddr 2
XFX HD 5850 Black Edition
Antec P-180 Case 3 120mm fan installed 1 sucking in fresh air and 2 blowing out air. The fan on the Mugen 2 is attached under the heat dispencer.

I'm a OC noob so you help me the most by giving me detailed information about BIOS settings like CPU/NB (GTL)/SB volt, FSB strap to frequency,...

7ccccc7

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I would say there is a problem with heat sink mounted on CPU. Check that see if there is enough thermal paste, check the screws. If temperature rises rapidly the problem is between CPU and heat sink conection

M_ROCAL

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I applied the thermal past that was delivered with the Cooler.
What do you mean by check the screws?

It kinda sucks that the porblem is between cpu and heat sink. Had to remove and reinstal my Mobo which wasnt something i enjoyed.

M_ROCAL

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Maybe also important yesterday my CPU was 100% under load for hours according to Core temp but it was of multiple internet explorer screens and the temperature never went above 60°C. It's only when I use the intel burn test things go haywire.

And forget to say thx for the replies :)