Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Painting Fan Blades?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 21, 2012 1:45:55 PM

Hello, I am looking into selecting the right fan for me in a low-RPM 9x120mm loop in an external waterbox. the Gentle Typhoon has grabbed my attention, but it sucks that they are not available in red (my whole color scheme). grey completely throws it off, especially in a block of 9, not shrouded and tucked away. plus the box doesn't have an entire side, so its a little obvious. (http://www.dangerden.com/store/external-3-x-360-radiato...).

so assuming it is painted evenly to avoid throwing off balance, would the weight of the paint have any adverse effects?

I will probably test it on my own with a cheapo fan (as to not insult a Gentle Typhoon if it doesn't work out ;)  ).

any alternate fans out there (in red) comparable to GT's? Enermax Magma's are perfect color but don't quite hold up to my performance specs.

Thanks all!

More about : painting fan blades

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2012 5:51:10 PM

I have successfully spray painted several fans. Use 2 or more light, evenly-applied sprays (let each coat dry before adding another). The light sprays avoid drips that could affect the fan's balance.

If you want to keep the fan housing's original color (I think the scythe's are black), then mask them with blue painter's tape before you spray the fan.

Note: I've also tried removing the fan for painting and then trying to reinstall it afterwards - that did not go well for me.
a c 151 K Overclocking
January 21, 2012 6:44:16 PM

I sometimes paint the housings but never the blades
Score
Related resources
January 22, 2012 10:29:32 PM

what actually happened when you disassembled the fan, treefrog? i know some fans are designed to have removable blades for cleaning and such, I am not sure if this is so with scythe's.
Score
January 24, 2012 8:40:47 PM

Best answer selected by 6_5x47lapua.
Score
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 1:48:47 AM

6_5x47lapua said:
what actually happened when you disassembled the fan, treefrog? i know some fans are designed to have removable blades for cleaning and such, I am not sure if this is so with scythe's.
I could not reinstall the fan to the shaft on Scythe and Antec 120mms. None of my models were designed to be removed, and appeared to be mounted by the friction of the blades receiving slot with the fans' shafts. I was unable to re-place the fans to the shafts with sufficient pressure to hold. After ruining one scythe and two antec fans, I decided to mask the housings on their replacements. That worked.
Score
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 4:59:42 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!