aim001

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Hi, i need help here, i think i got to weak psu for my pc, my processor wont go over 50% even if i play crysis. I think its same with gpu. If u think its to weak give me a advice, how strong psu i need to buy to get maximum perfomance.

Specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 8650 Triple-Core Processor 2.30 ghz
Ram: 6Gb
GPU:(Graphic card) : Gtx 260 Black edition oc ( recommended 550 watt :O)
Psu:(power supply): Exactly 380 watt

What brand is the PSU? Its a bit weak, you should have a good 500-550W unit, preferably with about 40A between its 12V rails. Something like the Corsair 550VX would do quite well, or if you need to save you can go for the OCZ Modxstream 500W, its a bit weaker but significantly cheaper.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Its a wonder your pc even boots up, I would definitely recommend going with a new PSU. What hunter recommended is fine.

A new PSU will not improve performance, but its a whole lot less likely to die on you.
The graphics card seems fine to me. What resolution are you playing at?

The reason your processor isn't going over 50% in games is because its a triple core, and most games aren't optimized for more than two, so even if you are stressing two cores to their limit, the third one will have relatively little utiliztion

It might improve your performance, depending on how it responds to the over draw, your GPU may be throttling due to lack of power. But even if it doesnt improve your performance it will definitely reduce your risk of catastrophic failure.

aim001

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

Thank you, iwas trying to find a site like this. but this didnt solve my problem. My question was does higher psu solve my maximum perfomance

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
A power supply doesn't affect performance in the way you're thinking - it powers the system or it doesn't.

A CPU won't underclock if there's not enough juice - it just won't work. NVIDIA graphics cards used to throttle if there wasn't enough power, but I don't know if they do or not now.

As hunter said the benefit from having a higher-rated PSU will be for system security, making sure there's plenty of juice to go round and you're not straining it, but as I said, having more juice won't force your cores to 100%.

aim001

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009

I know that Psu dont speed up the perfomance, but im thinking about enough power to the devices. espacially gpu, i hava psu 350 and 380, it didnt start with the 350 but did with the 380, and the recommended power supply for the gpu is 550 watt. Would not the card run slower if it has low on power?