Solved

Which set makes sense for AMD?

Okay, just to look at a subset, consider the following G.Skill Ripjaws with the specified speed, timings, and current newegg prices:

#1 1600, 7-8-7-24, $119.99
#2 1600, 8-8-8-24, $114.99
#3 1333, 7-7-7-21, $109.99

I'm still trying to learn what the limitations are for memory with AMD set ups. Apparently you can't get set #1 to work at advertised speed and timings with AMD and you have to either drop the clock speed or relax the timings. Would it be foolhardy to hope for a BIOS update that unlocks the potential of this set a little more?

Now, in case anybody tells me that I should just go ahead and cross #1 off my list, which would you pick between #2 and #3? Tighter timings or more speed?

I'm sure I could get any of these to work for me and I would be happy, but I'm just trying to explore a little further into the subtle differences so I know what to expect. Muchas garcias!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which makes sense
  1. Best answer
    Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

You won't see a big difference between 1333 and 1600, so, I would got for the 1333. Have a good CL and less voltage.
  2. Just for the sake of argument, would I be able to get the 1600 CL8 set and clock it down to 1333 CL7 with the same voltage as the other set?
  3. Yeah, you can do it, but the problem would be that the RAM don't run at CL7 and 1.5V stable
  4. #3 is your best bet. you won't notice a difference with the faster speed most likely, but running at CL7 you might notice a little difference.
  5. Thanks, guys!

Last question I have is if I eventually upgrade to a Thuban processor (or perhaps more if Bulldozer is still AM3 compatible), will I end up being held back at all by sticking with a 1333 RAM speed right now? If I plan on just doubling the RAM later and want to make sure it will still be up to par 1 or 2 years down the road, will 1333 cut the mustard? Will it even matter with the mobo options I have now?
  6. The processor upgrade depends of the mobo, if you have a mobo with the new AMD chipset is ready to the Thuban, and some 790FX can support the Thuban too.

Don't worry about the RAM, DDR3 will stay for a long time like DDR2 and the Thuban comes this year.
  7. Best answer selected by BigBlueDart.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory G.SKILL AMD Product