Which set makes sense for AMD?

BigBlueDart

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Okay, just to look at a subset, consider the following G.Skill Ripjaws with the specified speed, timings, and current newegg prices:

#1 1600, 7-8-7-24, $119.99
#2 1600, 8-8-8-24, $114.99
#3 1333, 7-7-7-21, $109.99

I'm still trying to learn what the limitations are for memory with AMD set ups. Apparently you can't get set #1 to work at advertised speed and timings with AMD and you have to either drop the clock speed or relax the timings. Would it be foolhardy to hope for a BIOS update that unlocks the potential of this set a little more?

Now, in case anybody tells me that I should just go ahead and cross #1 off my list, which would you pick between #2 and #3? Tighter timings or more speed?

I'm sure I could get any of these to work for me and I would be happy, but I'm just trying to explore a little further into the subtle differences so I know what to expect. Muchas garcias!

Solution
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

You won't see a big difference between 1333 and 1600, so, I would got for the 1333. Have a good CL and less voltage.

BigBlueDart

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks, guys!

Last question I have is if I eventually upgrade to a Thuban processor (or perhaps more if Bulldozer is still AM3 compatible), will I end up being held back at all by sticking with a 1333 RAM speed right now? If I plan on just doubling the RAM later and want to make sure it will still be up to par 1 or 2 years down the road, will 1333 cut the mustard? Will it even matter with the mobo options I have now?

The processor upgrade depends of the mobo, if you have a mobo with the new AMD chipset is ready to the Thuban, and some 790FX can support the Thuban too.

Don't worry about the RAM, DDR3 will stay for a long time like DDR2 and the Thuban comes this year.