Fan always spinning on compaq presario r3000 (r3060us)

Hi,

Just got new laptop. After few days I've noticed that one of the fans
never stops whatever the workload is, neither under linux (fc2) nor
under win xp. It is starting to get on my nerves.

Could anyone having the same model tell if your fan ever stops? Or
someone with the same cpu. Mine is pentium 4m 2.4 ghz

I used to have toshiba satellite with 2ghz celeron, there the fan used
to kick in only occasionally

Vladimir
4 answers Last reply
More about spinning compaq presario r3000 r3060us

    Vladimir wrote:
    || Hi,
    || Just got new laptop. After few days I've noticed that one of the fans
    || never stops whatever the workload is, neither under linux (fc2) nor
    || under win xp. It is starting to get on my nerves.
    || Could anyone having the same model tell if your fan ever stops? Or
    || someone with the same cpu. Mine is pentium 4m 2.4 ghz
    || I used to have toshiba satellite with 2ghz celeron, there the fan
    || used to kick in only occasionally
    || Vladimir

    I have a 2.66 and yes, 1 of the fan always spins while the other rarely
    spins. I think in my case it is because my r3000 model (r3060CA) has a
    desktop P4 and not the the mobile one...

    there are definately 2 fans in your laptop, one is the processor cooling fan
    and the one that spins all the time is the graphics chip cooling fan

    "Vladimir" <vldmrrr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got new laptop. After few days I've noticed that one of the fans
    > never stops whatever the workload is, neither under linux (fc2) nor
    > under win xp. It is starting to get on my nerves.
    >
    > Could anyone having the same model tell if your fan ever stops? Or
    > someone with the same cpu. Mine is pentium 4m 2.4 ghz
    >
    > I used to have toshiba satellite with 2ghz celeron, there the fan used
    > to kick in only occasionally
    >
    > Vladimir

    Well, what I was trying to find - is that normal or is that
    malfunction in fan regulation. This fan mostly pushes cold air. It is
    not as noisy as fans in other laptops I've seen and often is hardly
    noticeable in many ambient noise conditions. But I am afraid in a year
    it will become noisy after constant work.

    The fan does seem to be regulated - it does not start right after
    power-up, it takes about 10 sec before it starts. At that time my
    computer is still in bootloader, so no even slightest load on graphic
    chip.

    I wonder if I can disconnect this fan altogether, as I never use 3d
    graphic acceleration and the air coming from the fan is only slightly
    warm

    Thanks
    Vladimir

    Vladimir wrote:
    > Well, what I was trying to find - is that normal or is that
    > malfunction in fan regulation. This fan mostly pushes cold air. It is
    > not as noisy as fans in other laptops I've seen and often is hardly
    > noticeable in many ambient noise conditions. But I am afraid in a year
    > it will become noisy after constant work.
    >
    > The fan does seem to be regulated - it does not start right after
    > power-up, it takes about 10 sec before it starts. At that time my
    > computer is still in bootloader, so no even slightest load on graphic
    > chip.
    >
    > I wonder if I can disconnect this fan altogether, as I never use 3d
    > graphic acceleration and the air coming from the fan is only slightly
    > warm
    >
    > Thanks
    > Vladimir
    >
    > "Jerry A. Valentino" <pickupmannospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> there are definately 2 fans in your laptop, one is the processor
    >> cooling fan and the one that spins all the time is the graphics chip
    >> cooling fan
    >>
    >> "Vladimir" <vldmrrr@yahhoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Just got new laptop. After few days I've noticed that one of the
    >>> fans never stops whatever the workload is, neither under linux
    >>> (fc2) nor under win xp. It is starting to get on my nerves.
    >>>
    >>> Could anyone having the same model tell if your fan ever stops? Or
    >>> someone with the same cpu. Mine is pentium 4m 2.4 ghz
    >>>
    >>> I used to have toshiba satellite with 2ghz celeron, there the fan
    >>> used to kick in only occasionally
    >>>
    >>> Vladimir

    Disable the fan and the CPU will inevitably fail, probably sooner than
    later, even if the internal thermal protection kicks in and shuts down
    the CPU, which it will do frequently. You should instead take
    precautions to disable unnecessary Services, disable unnecessary
    auto-runs from Start/Run/msconfig, keep the HD reasonably defragmented.
    These will reduce the base or average CPU load and thus the base or
    average thermal load.

Laptops Fan