krazycarlsberg

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
just did my first home build and am having some problems. i get the message "Boot Disk Error Press Any Key to Continue..." I have the cd drive as the first boot in the bios. I tried the xp cd in both cd slots and still can't get past the screen. why is this happening?

Find and load your HDD's recommended SATA Drivers on a USB thumb drive.
When the setup is loading press F6 when prompted at the bottom of the screen.
Load the SATA drivers from the USB thumb drive.

krazycarlsberg

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
jared, if i press any key, says the same thing again. yes, it recognizes both drives

wr2, xpsp2 and sata hdd, yes. how would i load the sata drivers? where would i find them?

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
It should at least try to attempt to boot from the CD/DVD OS, no matter what, if there is a disc in there, it will attempt it.

Just to be sure, you put the CD in, then restart the computer, and get the same thing? Then when the error comes up, you put the cd in the other drive, and restart, and still get the error?

Are you sure you have the CD drives hooked up correctly? You may want to take out one of the drives, and only work with one of them first, for the install, just to see if that works.

krazycarlsberg

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
ok, i just needed to move around the cd a couple of times and it worked

now when it goes to start windows, i get a system error message. i tried attaching two separate hd's, one at a time, same error. The message is:
STOP: (a long string of numbers and letters
pci.sys

krazycarlsberg

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
new error:

irql not less or equal

this is coming up when installing windows.
tried with 1 stick of ram v. 2 to see if that does anything...nope
computer is running at 24 degrees cent.

any advice?

krazycarlsberg

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
i reset the CMOs. no luck
just realized after looking deeper that the cpu is running at 50 degrees cent. intel core duo e8500. is this too hot?

any advice?

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
are the HDD new? or did they have stuff installed on them before? It should be doing a clean install with a wipe anyway, but this is just another inquiry.

kristalyn

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I would advise you to check the mobo manual again in regards to your hard drive specs.
I had this same issue tonight when finishing my pc (and being new at it). Blue screened a couple of times and checked the manual again. My board had different instructions for SATAII w/NCQ and just had to load a driver at the "where to install" screen. It was actually on the disk included with my motherboard. Now no blue screen. Thanks to the above poster that mentioned the SATA drivers which pointed me in the right direction.

-Kris

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
PJ - OP said he is using XP sp2. So that probably isn't the problem.

OP - if the cd drives needed to be moved around a bit, did you check to make sure that the HDDs are properly seated and connected? Also, I would suggest trying what Krystalyn suggested with the driver during boot - taken from the MOBOs cd.

krazycarlsberg

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
thought the cd was sp2. found out it was not. slipstreamed the cd and all is good. everyone, thanks so much for helping a newcomer along.