Overclocking GTX 460

dre2626

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
hi guys im new at this so please bare with me ..... my question is >i bought a MSI GTX 460 Hawk today and done some overclocking, i got too 930mhz with a bump of 100mv , now i wanna no is there any way i can make afterburner or any other software allow me to pump more power to the card to get a higher OC? my temps is excellent at the moment, its at 62c under stress while OC now i wanna OC more ..........is there anything i can do ? and what OC have your gotten?>>>>the hawk is good at keeping temps down............. oh and i have tried editing the afterburner cfg file but no luck so all that i can think of is bios editing , is that worth doing and is the gains worth it? thanks Dre all replies will be appreciated :hello:

D

Deleted member 217926

930 core is a crazy high GTX 460 overclock. Stock is 675. I run mine at 820-1640-2000. You sure those temps are that low under load? If so I would leave it alone. Even with the review sites testing every brand made when the card came out ~900Mhz core was about as high as any card could do.

drumsrule786

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Yeah dude your fine where you are, I have mine at 850, could go a little high but sometimes I have stability issues then. If you pump too many volts into the card the lifetime of the gpu will be cut by a lot. There's a reason they put a limit on afterburner.

dre2626

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Sorry for the late reply guys my internet was down but I'm back up now anyway ya those temps are correct and now after adding a few case fans and runing the hawk fans at 100% it only reachers 57c and that's at stock 675mhz ............ Thanks for the input but I have been using the card at stock because I was worried about my power supply ,I've got a ezcool 550w which comes with only 1 6/8pin with 16/20A on the 12v rail which scard me because I'm not to sure wether I should be OC with it and bare in mind thr card needs 2 6 pin. Inputs so I'm using the 1 and for the other 1 I'm using an adapter from 2 5v so I need to no do I need to get a psu or is this 1 ok to oc with? And will running 1 6pin. And 2 5v inputs cause any stablity problems?.................. Thanks for the help I appreciate it...I really need to no wether I need a psu or not , I don't wanna burn this 1

dre2626

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Sorry for the late reply guys my internet was down but I'm back up now anyway ya those temps are correct and now after adding a few case fans and runing the hawk fans at 100% it only reachers 57c and that's at stock 675mhz ............ Thanks for the input but I have been using the card at stock because I was worried about my power supply ,I've got a ezcool 550w which comes with only 1 6/8pin with 16/20A on the 12v rail which scard me because I'm not to sure wether I should be OC with it and bare in mind thr card needs 2 6 pin. Inputs so I'm using the 1 and for the other 1 I'm using an adapter from 2 5v so I need to no do I need to get a psu or is this 1 ok to oc with? And will running 1 6pin. And 2 5v inputs cause any stablity problems?.................. Thanks for the help I appreciate it...I really need to no wether I need a psu or not , I don't wanna burn this 1

D

Deleted member 217926

I would not overclock anything with that power supply. Very little info is available about it but what I do see shows 24a total on the 12v rail making it a 330-350w power supply. So it's a bit exaggerated calling itself a 550w unit.

Look for a real 550w power supply ( 700-750w if you plan to add a second card in Sli ) from Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Enermax, Antec or Silverstone.

dre2626

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
gents how do you unlink the shaders and core speeds? ive got a new psu now so wanna OC the thing is what am i aiming for? stock is 675/1350/1800 >>>am i aiming for high core ? without raising the shader? or should i raise both ? and what about memory? please advice what i should aim for im looking at getting the most performance out of it...... im not sure wether to oc the core and leave the shader at stock or what ay im confused temps at a problem so share all your'll no o and AB only allows me 100mv increase but inspector allows more all the way to 1.087v

D

Deleted member 217926

Core and shaders are linked. You can not unlink them.

A very high overclock for a GTX 460 is 900-1800-2000. A more reasonable overclock is 840-1680-2000. A still good overclock most cards are capable of is 800-1600-2000. A light overclock would be 750-1500-2000.

Don't raise the voltage unless you have to and are certain your temps are OK.

I have mine at 840-1680-2000 and while I probably go higher with it, I see no reason to.

850mhz is pretty much the average for the gtx460 except for the few flaky samples out there. I only bothered to push mine over 900mhz only for kicks on day. Gotten around 910mhz on one of the less glamorous models out there. The Gigabyte version that is known to drop dead if not kept cool and clean. Some out there have gotten their cards to and over 1ghz but they are a small minority. As for the hawk if you can live with noise you could remove the stock fans and face plate then add a pair of high flow rate 80mm fans. They will move much more air than the stock fans could ever do even at 100% and temps will drop by a large margin. Dropped idle temps over around 15c and load almost double.

dre2626

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
@ anort3 thanks for that reply it was well put .....@ nforce your reply was great thanks for the fan tip.....basically i heard about thos getting to 1ghz i dont need the performance now my OC is only based on how far i can get it to go and also achieve the best score when benched just for the sake of doing it so ya i was interested in what your'll guys achieved with the 460 and to me it luks like anything around 900mhz is more than an achievement and anything over 900 is a bonus so ya im aiming high i think i mite just touch 920 not any after that well been stable of cause.......whats your current oc and at what voltage?

dre2626

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

you were 100% correct i done some serious OCing today and found occt didnt give me errors on 900/1800/2100 only any thing above errors appeared dont get me wrong any other stressing software ran it stable but occt broke it down to 900mhz only on the kombustor i ran 930/1860/2300 stable but as soon as i ran occt errors popped up ya so im abit disappointed that, that was as far as i could go but hey its a good enough gain from the stock 675mhz so ya thanks for the help

It has been over a year since I last really overclocked this card but I had the voltage sitting at 1.087v on the core. Not the best sample out there :s