Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best OS

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
December 29, 2012 8:38:47 PM

I'm building my first PC and I'd thought I'd ask if anyone could give some advice on the best OS. Any replies are much appreciated. :) 

Sorry its in the windows 8 category couldn't find a generalised OS category.

More about : question

December 29, 2012 8:45:05 PM

Linux.
a b * Windows 8
December 29, 2012 8:55:27 PM

whatever your using I suppose
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
December 29, 2012 9:01:56 PM

a b * Windows 8
December 29, 2012 9:02:16 PM

Hi :) 

Actually you should set up a poll, it will have interesting results...

All the best Brett :) 
December 29, 2012 10:01:06 PM

I think in general win7 would be the all-time best OS.

That being said, I have really come to love win8 over the past year, so win8 would get my vote, but it is not for everyone.

Best solution

December 29, 2012 10:08:00 PM

If gaming stick with windows. If you can handle the metro UI go with windows 8. If you prefer the desktop setup go with windows 7.
Considering its your first build I'm making an assumption your computer skills are only basic and may be best to stick with windows. Windows simply has more support. (i.e. if I plug in object A it will be recognized by windows, may not be the same story with linux) By all mean linux is still a good OS, just needs more support to make it more complete.
December 29, 2012 10:10:54 PM

Indeed, Linux is an awesome OS, especially if building a network device (firewall, file server, etc.). But for general computer use, and especially for newbies, Windows 7 would be the way to go, and if you like something a little more interesting that has a few neat features then go with windows 8... just know that the Metro UI may drive you insane the first few weeks until you get use to it.
December 29, 2012 10:23:19 PM

If you feel like pulling your hair out trying to get everything to work right, by all means try Linux. If you're smart and would like an easier way, I would say Windows 7 ;) 
a b * Windows 8
December 29, 2012 10:36:01 PM

m_lowe said:
I'm building my first PC and I'd thought I'd ask if anyone could give some advice on the best OS. Any replies are much appreciated. :) 

Sorry its in the windows 8 category couldn't find a generalised OS category.

Windows 7 or Windows 8 will do you well for pretty much any task. I personally recommend Windows 8, it's a very solid operating system that just happens to have a few odd UI design choices.
Anonymous
December 29, 2012 10:43:47 PM

That would depend on your intended use.
January 7, 2013 7:42:39 AM

Best answer selected by m_lowe.
January 7, 2013 11:47:38 AM

JUST so everyone knows, Windows 8 SUCKS, badly. GW2 will not work on it, Lineage 2 will not work on it, I havent tryed WoW yet so dont know. If you like to play games and that kind of thing, I'd say stick with windows 7. So far it has crashed twice, froze once and nothing will accually work as well as windows 7. I'd wait on windows 8 even if you like it cause it's still got ALOT of problems with it. The only good thing about windows 8 is that it supports USB 3 which is going to be nice in the near future and it does support more ram cap at 64 bit, but windows 7 supports up to 192GB of ram with 64bit.
a b * Windows 8
January 7, 2013 6:04:27 PM

hcool1987 said:
JUST so everyone knows, Windows 8 SUCKS, badly. GW2 will not work on it, Lineage 2 will not work on it, I havent tryed WoW yet so dont know. If you like to play games and that kind of thing, I'd say stick with windows 7. So far it has crashed twice, froze once and nothing will accually work as well as windows 7. I'd wait on windows 8 even if you like it cause it's still got ALOT of problems with it. The only good thing about windows 8 is that it supports USB 3 which is going to be nice in the near future and it does support more ram cap at 64 bit, but windows 7 supports up to 192GB of ram with 64bit.

You're full of ***.

Guild Wars 2 works just fine on Windows 8, not that the game is worth playing anyway
!