Sign in with
Your question

Ordering tonightish

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
October 10, 2009 11:19:43 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:Soon, very soon by Monday

BUDGET RANGE: 1,100.00 or 1,000.00 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:Gaming, surfing the web & movies.. messing APS & fruityloops
PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
OS - i7 920 D0
PSU- Corsair 850Watt psu
HDD - 640gb wd bc
Case - Coolermaster HAF 932
Dvd/cd drive - Samsung burner ( don't feel like looking )
OS - Pre-ordered Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.. zipzoom, amazon.. I don't care aslong as it has good prices =)
PARTS PREFERENCES: I like XFX and EVGA warranty policy. Big on brand name ASUS stuff ect.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, 4.0-4.2ghz Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Sli in the future is most def

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 for now. If you want to help me find a future monitor for this Christmas that is 1920x1200 that is very nice quality and doesn't cost over $600 obviously not being in the title budget I would appreciate it.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Some parts I noticed- Asus P6TD Deluxe which is on sale for $270 right now ( I'm not sure but I think the bios from what I read is quite a bit different than the other P6T Deluxes or Maybe a Rampage II.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231254 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820226050 both of these are nice.
but open to options on any other rams that are nice and don't cost $300

But yeah, I would rather know what you would do/buy with the money to finish the build or the opinions on what I was thinking of. Thanks

More about : ordering tonightish

October 11, 2009 12:08:14 AM

- The 5870 is an awesome GPU, but the 5850 is fairly awesome too and would save you a good hundred bucks or so. I figure the games of today ran fine with the 4890, so the 5850 was maybe already a huge enough improvement.

- Your link to the RAM doesn't seem to be working. What kind of RAM do you intend to order?
Related resources
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 12:45:09 AM

Yeah, that's the main thing.. I know the 5850 is already nice of course the 5870 is an improvement but that will decrease the resale values when the aftermarket oc cooled ones come out.. was leaning towards getting a 5870 or 5850 now and resale once the 5870x2 comes out. The http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it's DDR3 1600 with tight timings but I was also suggested http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and underclocking it to make the timings and save money. I have no idea.. if it would end up underclocking that well though. Still no idea what I should get for a GPU lol.
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 1:12:48 AM

Fixed it~ sorry
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 3:04:14 AM

Yeah, I would replace the hard with the f3 if the 640 is dead.
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 4:26:41 AM

Could I get an opinion or suggestion about the ram? trying to get the mobo and ram ordered tonight! thanks
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 4:55:43 AM

Okay, like the hard drive.. I already have a 850watt PSU corsair. As for the mobo it says Yes! I am overclocking 4.0-4.2 range. Features? uh, Crossfire nice bios features.. as for the suggestions on ram.. those timings aren't that great. As for the 2000mhz trident it would be underclocked and turn the timings down.
October 11, 2009 5:18:01 AM

^haha the trident costs a lot more tho $164.99, what timings u want 6-6-6 for 1600mhz?
if u willing to spend on the trident then do it. but the performance will not be much of a difference.
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 5:43:49 AM

Well.. timings do mean a world of difference especially with HT enabled.
October 11, 2009 5:48:49 AM

Quote:

i said "not much of a difference" ....its less than 3-5% which is not noticeable
gettin expensive ram and underclockin it is just plain stupid and waste of money
the most you can go is probably 6-7-7 with that 2000mhz ram, and i have a doubt too.
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 9:41:29 AM

Anyone else on ram?
October 11, 2009 11:03:29 AM

overshocks said:
i said "not much of a difference" ....its less than 3-5% which is not noticeable
gettin expensive ram and underclockin it is just plain stupid and waste of money
the most you can go is probably 6-7-7 with that 2000mhz ram, and i have a doubt too.

^I fully agree with this.

Anonymous
October 11, 2009 8:34:33 PM

Okay.. I wish people understood what CAS latency was in these forums.
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 8:54:41 PM

Thanks for the good input, Obsidian86. You know how to say stuff that doesn't require me looking through the bargain bin.
October 11, 2009 8:59:16 PM

the second one is currently best value for money.but those are probly only a few of less then a dozen who will safely do 4ghz+ on an i7
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 9:22:11 PM

Yeah, the true isn't bad. I like the Mega alot though.. even if it does only score just a little bit higher. I'm going push-pull trying to find some fans that won't deafen me. lol but pump out some nice cfm
October 11, 2009 10:46:44 PM

Quote:
Okay.. I wish people understood what CAS latency was in these forums.

^funny, you're the one who doesn't understand what latencies are about. 1600mhz with 7-7-7 has same performance/BETTER than 2000mhz with 9-9-9
read some articles before you talk crap, funny "youngster" that comes in and asks for help then tries to talk "crap" but fails badly.

ill quote my paragraph again.

October 12, 2009 12:34:52 AM

Latency and speed affect different applications differently. Some respond more to higher clock speed while others need lower timings to perform best. You can't say one is definitely better than the other unless both the speed is higher and the timings lower.

But as you said, the difference is usually small. I think WinRAR is an exception to the rule, but not everyone does that all day. If you like SiSoft Sandra memory bandwidth benchmarks you can see big differences though :D 
Anonymous
October 12, 2009 12:48:45 AM

Well, infact sometimes people need higher ram speeds to UC the ram to OC the cpu higher. In the long run that was what I was trying to say. Sorry overshocks, you had such bad grammar that I thought you were just some messy foreigner. Yeah, Latency depends program to program.. for one I use fruityloops which does happen to be one.

Also, overshocks.. you didn't even read my post correctly several times. I said parts I did own and you kept telling me new parts to replace parts that I already purchased. I didn't actually think you were paying attention to what I had typed. I'm still going to get the trident =p what I really wanted was suggestions on gpu and the motheboard. I ordered the new P6TD Deluxe which has the NB revision done to it and looks like it has more advanced bios features than the regular P6T Deluxe and such. Hopefully I won't regret that though. I was leaning towards the Rampage II but I hear of blow-out issues all the time on the Rampage which is a bit scary.

As for GPU... I think i'll order the 5870 XFX when it comes into newegg stock tomorrow. I was going to wait for the revised versions with aftermarket coolers and OC twinked/volt changes. I feel like if I order the 5870 XFX version I should be able to sell it out again over ebay without too much of a headache or loss of money.
October 12, 2009 1:52:19 AM

Quote:

Syarani, try this.... Get some of the cheapest Kingston value ram you can find, and some of the most expensive ram with the lowest latencies you can find, OC your CPU to 4+ ghz (if you can) and test both sets of ram....

THEN come back here and tell us the difference.

AND also come back here and tell us just how long your CPU lasted at 4+ghz.

I know the answers to both of the above suggestions, but you obviously just came here to prove that you were the smartest kid in the forums, so I won't tell you the answers.
October 12, 2009 2:37:39 AM

haha croc, that's basically what i said..so i totally agree with you..

"Sorry overshocks, you had such bad grammar that I thought you were just some messy foreigner. Yeah, Latency depends program to program.. for one I use fruityloops which does happen to be one."

bad grammar? don't see any mistakes in grammar. funny guy accusing me of a messy "foreigner". umm discrimination or what?

show me prove that 1600mhz 7-7-7 cant beat 2000mhz 9-9-9 in fruityloops too.

"Also, overshocks.. you didn't even read my post correctly several times. I said parts I did own and you kept telling me new parts to replace parts that I already purchased."

"several times"??? maybe you are the "foreigner" here..clearly you can see i never told you several times. also, you did not STATE you bought the "parts" already. love ur accusations

"I ordered the new P6TD Deluxe which has the NB revision done to it and looks like it has more advanced bios features than the regular P6T Deluxe and such. Hopefully I won't regret that though."

good luck here. show some results here for your overclocking, see if the improvement is actually worth it

"As for GPU... I think i'll order the 5870 XFX when it comes into newegg stock tomorrow. I was going to wait for the revised versions with aftermarket coolers and OC twinked/volt changes. I feel like if I order the 5870 XFX version I should be able to sell it out again over ebay without too much of a headache or loss of money."

good luck here too, but you should wait for aftermarket coolers instead of sellin on ebay after..thats just wasting money
Anonymous
October 12, 2009 7:51:08 AM

croc said:
Syarani, try this.... Get some of the cheapest Kingston value ram you can find, and some of the most expensive ram with the lowest latencies you can find, OC your CPU to 4+ ghz (if you can) and test both sets of ram....

THEN come back here and tell us the difference.

AND also come back here and tell us just how long your CPU lasted at 4+ghz.

I know the answers to both of the above suggestions, but you obviously just came here to prove that you were the smartest kid in the forums, so I won't tell you the answers.

Okay, first of "croc" it's Syrani not syarani.. I doubt I would have the time to do that if you didn't undersand about UC to OC then maybe you should check the overclocking i7 threads. Second off how long my cpu lasted at 4+ghz? I have a golden batch gtfo >_> You smart fellows on this forum need to be nice.. since this is infact just another place to go from overclock.net which actually has.. no comment :) 

As for Croc..

bad grammar? don't see any mistakes in grammar. funny guy accusing me of a messy "foreigner". umm discrimination or what?

I laughed at that discrimination which of course is why you

"read some articles before you talk crap, funny "youngster" that comes in and asks for help then tries to talk "crap" but fails badly."

Seems that some people are trying to flame me pretty bad for asking for some opinions.
October 12, 2009 8:03:00 AM

Quote:
As for Croc..

^LOL get the name right it's Overshocks

you dodging these sentences?? sad. ill quote them again

show me prove that 1600mhz 7-7-7 cant beat 2000mhz 9-9-9 in fruityloops too.

"Also, overshocks.. you didn't even read my post correctly several times. I said parts I did own and you kept telling me new parts to replace parts that I already purchased."

"several times"??? maybe you are the "foreigner" here..clearly you can see i never told you several times. also, you did not STATE you bought the "parts" already. love ur accusations

talk about who's grammar mistakes.

"I laughed at that discrimination which of course is why you "

write a sentence that makes sense?

we were the people trying to help you, then you started talking crap like you know everything..just pathetic.
Anonymous
October 12, 2009 8:58:29 AM

Wow, I did get the names mixed up maybe because i'm spending time with my gf. On another note I don't care you do suck at grammar. Go be poor out of my thread! thanks
Anonymous
October 12, 2009 9:22:04 AM

"show me prove that 1600mhz 7-7-7 cant beat 2000mhz 9-9-9 in fruityloops too."
"proof"

As for several times.. Power supply.. hard drive.. you can't scroll up and read moron? I didn't ask for help btw. I asked for opinions.

This is also just a copy & paste from a overclock.net thread I had started soooooo yeah.
October 12, 2009 5:19:04 PM

Quote:
"proof"

As for several times.. Power supply.. hard drive.. you can't scroll up and read moron? I didn't ask for help btw. I asked for opinions.

This is also just a copy & paste from a overclock.net thread I had started soooooo yeah.

Oh, big deal you asked for opinions. When you take those opinions into consideration, it's help from someone else. Nice try.

Now go to overclock.net and start bashing people too with your so-called knowledge, see if they'll laugh at this noobie sentence.

Quote:

October 12, 2009 8:59:40 PM

Quote:
"proof"

Seems to me that you didn't want 'opinions', but agreement with YOUR opinions. Seems to me that your posts on overclock.net went along in a similar vein. So you seem to have not received an agreement on your opinion, and are now pouting like a petulant child that has been told that they can't have a new toy.

As to your 'golden batch' CPU, when did you get it? Last I heard, from posts on overclock.net

"As for as my i7 goes -_- I ordered it back in march and had the box sitting on a desk since then.. never really bothered looking at it. - S-spec:SLBCH. No idea for OC capabilities with it."

Are you sure that you aren't making this up as you go along?
Anonymous
October 12, 2009 10:48:06 PM

Yeah, i'm sure. Trust me you are the ones trying to start an arguement. As for that post it's rather old. I was looking for opinions on a mobo, ram and the situation with a gpu. Nothing more nothing less. As for my b# it's in a previous post. I could care less what you think of me.. I was just asking.
October 12, 2009 10:57:08 PM

@OP: I agree.

I wonder if he's now satisfied.
October 12, 2009 11:11:48 PM

by what I read, you bough the mobo, you wanted an opinion about ram, well what overshocks suggested seems like the most wise decision to make, around price performance that is, I'd go with that, like overshocks stated there is no point buying 2000 ddr3 and then under clocking it, if that is the case, bad choice, instead get the mushkins red lines 1600 and you will be able to overclock them really well, in case of memory over clocking doesn't not mean upping up the mhz, it mean that highest mhz achieve along with the lowest timing and volts, so if you do for example 1600 7-7-7 at 1.65 thats already an overclock, and yes 7-7-7 1600 beats 9-9-9 2000

by the way, I'am a foreigner, i though you should know that before taking this post into consideration, I don't think i have any grammar problems as the spell check function works like a charm.
Anonymous
October 12, 2009 11:24:53 PM

More flames of hate. As for "there is no point buying 2000 ddr3 and then under clocking it, if that is the case, bad choice, instead get the mushkins red lines 1600 and you will be able to overclock them really well, in case of memory over clocking doesn't not mean upping up the mhz, it mean that highest mhz achieve along with the lowest timing and volts, so if you do for example 1600 7-7-7 at 1.65 thats already an overclock, and yes 7-7-7 1600 beats 9-9-9 2000" First off.. What do you see wrong about what you typed and ask yourself what the suggested voltage is for vdimm? So.. underclocking would be the best option I can hit 1611 6-7-6-18 1T on 1.59v vdimm "1.59" is the keyword here. I'm safe with nice speeds. I could get 1600 7-7-7 a 1.65 which is already in the danger zone and save myself a few bucks and underclock it. About the whole foreigner thing.. I was with five people all reading his posts at the same time. They were the ones who couldn't understand his grammar. Can we all just be nice?
October 12, 2009 11:31:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, i'm sure. Trust me you are the ones trying to start an arguement. As for that post it's rather old. I was looking for opinions on a mobo, ram and the situation with a gpu. Nothing more nothing less. As for my b# it's in a previous post. I could care less what you think of me.. I was just asking.

OK, you asked for, and received, opinions from several knowledgeable forum members. You chose not only to ignore their opinions but to denigrate those opinions. So you may (or may not, in your case) see where I am at in re: my questioning your motives.

I can only speak for myself here, but I dislike arguments, and argumentative behaviour. If you don't want opinions that are not in agreement with your (limited) point of view, then don't ask for them. If you do ask for opinions, at least have the common courtesy to test other people's advice instead of just dismissing that advice out-of-hand.

At this point I am perfectly willing to let you screw the pooch, after all it is YOUR pooch. But please don't ask for 'advice' or 'opinions' anywhere near me, because I am just as likely to tell you that the build you are proposing NEEDS an Asus WS revolution and a PCP&C 1200W PSU as not. BTW, you DO NEED an i7 975 to properly run your fruityloops... That i7 920 you have just really won't cut it. A pair of Xeons would be better...
Anonymous
October 12, 2009 11:34:53 PM

See, the way you responded is the same thing you "dislike".. where are you taking my thread to be exact? Some sort of flame war?
October 12, 2009 11:39:13 PM

hmm, you dont see to get the fact that ddr3 2000 is more expensive, look at my sig; its says OCZ reaper 2x2gb running at 1078/5-5-5-12 at 2.2v, mean while my memory is rated at 800 5-5-5-15 2.1, i payed $48.99 free shipping instead of paying $70 something for the ones rated 1066 5-5-5-18 2.1, that was a while ago before i upgraded to PII, thing is why would i pay more if i can gain same results paying less, unless you rich, then forget everything i said , and give me some money..:)  i was never mean to be rude, im just trying to save you some money.
Anonymous
October 12, 2009 11:46:03 PM

DDR3 is trichannel for the i7.. not to be sure if you know that or not.. i'm really just paying about $20 more than the norm for DDR3. Norm being a ocz plat kit for 145-150. The Trident kit is 165/w free shipping. Thanks for the input though.
October 12, 2009 11:49:55 PM

Lmao, yes, I know that mines are ddr2, and your is ddr3, triple channel just apply to x58. although that was just an example on how you can buy cheaper memory and get them to perform just as well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------edit:

by cheaper I don't mean a cheap brand, i mean 1600 instead of 2000.

look if you want great performance regardless of price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

those are Muskins red lines, those are use in extreme builds:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tjharlow#p/u/11/UyYVfUkFc4E

at 3:52 he talks about it.
October 13, 2009 12:07:36 AM

randomizer said:
@OP: I agree.

I wonder if he's now satisfied.

if (rant)

OK, now I am in an officially narky mood... If 'I' was the 'he' that you were referring to, then you have several options open to you as a moderator.

I have reviewed this thread and all of my posts in it, and can not see anywhere that I have made an 'inflaming' statement or otherwise denigrated Syrani. However I do see several instances where Syrani has abused some of the posters that offered the opinions that he asked for, with the suggestion that they didn't understand RAM timings. I have also reviewed many of the posts on overclock.net, and see some similarities in his posts there.

Do what you have to do, but just make sure that you do it for the right reasons.

fi (rant over)
October 13, 2009 12:10:52 AM

Actually I was referring to your statement that he wants us to agree with him, not argue. The 'he' was the OP, but I was talking to everyone else.
Anonymous
October 13, 2009 12:15:32 AM

Yeah, Snakej, I was going to get those first but I decided I could save the $20 and just underclock but I do like those redlines quite a bit =)
October 13, 2009 12:22:18 AM

randomizer said:
Actually I was referring to your statement that he wants us to agree with him, not argue. The 'he' was the OP, but I was talking to everyone else.

I apologize. After this past weekend, my ability to discern subtlety is somewhat diminished.
October 13, 2009 12:30:50 AM

usually many people come to this forums, already knowing a bit on pc parts, they usually want more for the money, and we recommend the best for the price, what we call 'best bang for the buck" because we see that there are many products on the market offering 3% increase in performance for a 20% increase in price, what we do is, we tell them you don't need two 4870 to run at 1400x900 just get a 4850 and buy a better processor, and such things, you seem to have the knowledge (OP) and you seem to have the money, so go for what you want and be satisfy, look i build 15 to 20 pc in the past 4 years, and a few of them was strictly on recommendations and even though i knew i was getting the most out of my budget i wasn't satisfy and thats the worst feeling, I'm sorry we cant agree with some things you said, doesn't mean your wrong it just mean there are better ways to it, but I'll recommend something we dont recommend to often, go with what you want, make that killer pc you though of for the past few months/weeks/days and be happy.
October 13, 2009 1:13:51 AM

croc said:
I apologize. After this past weekend, my ability to discern subtlety is somewhat diminished.

Clearly my ability to write unambiguously has done the same. ;) 
!