ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I would like to know if anyone might be able to steer me in the right direction. I have a MSI-7100 MOBO with Nforce 4 chipset. I have a AMD athlon 64 ( Winchester ) but I am going to be upgrading my cpu to a dual core soon. My main question is I want to get another video graphics card but don't know where to start. I currently have a Geforce 6800, my motherboard is SLI equipped as well. But I dont want to spend too much money. I would like to go with ATI but its not a biggie.

Thanks

ahumphers91

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I don't really want ot spend 100.00 but I will. No more than one hundred I guess. I know there are some steep prices. I shop on NewEgg for everything. Is the power supply I have good enough? What would be good for me, I am a moderate gamer but want to start gaming more because I dont have a 360 or ps3 anymore. Thanks

TheViper

Distinguished
If your monitor has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 then I'd suggest the 1 GB model. Or if you plan to use Anti-Aliasing (AA) in your games.

If it is 1680 x 1050 or smaller or you don't expect to use AA, then the 512 MB model will suffice.

The bit depth won't change between the 2 models as they are 256 bit GPU's. It is related to how much bandwidth or data the GPU can process at one time.