Sign in with
Your question

Problem installing new BFG GTX260 OC

Last response: in Components
December 28, 2009 12:45:42 AM

Hi guys I have a quick question regarding the installation of my new gtx260. The problem I ran into is that this new card requires 2 6pin power cables connected to it and my old graphics card only needed one. so the problem is that my power supply only has 1 6pin plug coming out of it. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or do I need a whole new power supply? do they make splitters or anything like that? I dont know how to do things like solder wires or anything like that so if that is an option I wont be able to do it.
December 28, 2009 2:00:51 AM

would you be able to recommend me a decent power supply that will be compatible and not cost me an arm and a leg? the power supply is one of the few pc components i don't really know much about.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 28, 2009 2:37:33 AM

A good quality 500wat with at least 25amps should do you good. Look for the corsair 550hx, antec 500wats, or comparable PSU's with high ratings and high efficiency.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 2:45:01 AM

They do make an adapter but it depends on if your current PSU
is enough to handle the extra load.
m
l
December 28, 2009 10:40:18 AM

I have been trying to find an adapter but i cant seem to find one would you be able to point me in the right direction? Also how can I tell if my psu will be able to handle it or not? So far it looks like im buying a new psu but id like to avoid that if possible.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 8:30:44 PM

psycho4r5 said:
I have been trying to find an adapter but i cant seem to find one would you be able to point me in the right direction? Also how can I tell if my psu will be able to handle it or not? So far it looks like im buying a new psu but id like to avoid that if possible.

Look in your case at your PSU, it is probably at the top of your case towards the back.
it should have a sticker on the side with information.

The part that says (+12v1) should have a number like 17,18,20.
Hopefully it is higher and/or has 2 (+12v1 and 12v2) numbers.

Something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

Look for the pic with the specs and tell us what yours says. or better yet post a pic if you can.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 105 U Graphics card
December 28, 2009 8:48:26 PM

I can't believe they stopped putting those molex to pci-e adapters in with cards. look at the amperage on the side of the power supply.... under 12v...... there may be more than one. If the power supply can handle it and you have enough molex connectors on the wiring you can get an adapter... "Y" connector.
m
l
!