GA Mobo Question

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I would like someone to explain what the difference is between " GA-890XA" and "GA-790FXTA" ? The " GA-890XA" is this a typo error ? They both have 790 for chipsets do they not ? What are the advantages between both of them and disadvantages ? I would like to use one of them in a gaming build for myself. Any help would be very grateful to me. Thanks !

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
More of a pc to handle video editing and some light (gaming for my grandson) but also considering putting a cad program as well. Would like to keep it close to the $1000 mark that's why I chose amd over Intel. I have been reading a lot on various forums. Seems to be a lot of different opinions out there however most agree that building your own vs pre-built is the way to go for cost and AMD is far cheaper than Intel. I have done a system on paper using parts from www.newegg.com solely for parts and believe I have everything but still had a question or two about compatibility issues.

I wouldn't say far cheaper, but AMD is excellent for the money if you don't need top-of-the-line. This is actually my first Intel since the P4 days, and really an AMD would have been fine, but I've built so many AMD machines I felt like something different.

I prefer prebuilts not only for their lower cost upfront, but also for their upgradability in the long run (saves money) and how much you learn about PCs from doing it (priceless). I also get OSes free from my college, which helps cost wise too.

If this post was in question format, you can select a "best answer" (should be a button in each of the posts that aren't yours) and then it will officially say "solved" at the top.