Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Raid 0 and Intel SRT

Last response: in Storage
August 19, 2011 8:13:17 PM

Hello,

I just built a new computer and want to get the most performance possible with my hard drive configuration. I have 2x1TB WD Caviar Black and 1x60GB OCZ Agility SSD. Curious if anyone can provide insight on the best configuration possible. Thank you.

More about : raid intel srt

September 5, 2011 12:26:23 AM

forsaken23 said:
Hello,

I just built a new computer and want to get the most performance possible with my hard drive configuration. I have 2x1TB WD Caviar Black and 1x60GB OCZ Agility SSD. Curious if anyone can provide insight on the best configuration possible. Thank you.

Hello,
I have the exact same setup, with the exact same WD Caviar Black Hard Drives. I just bought a new MOBO with the Z68 chipset that supports the new Intel SRT, which turns your SSD up to 64GB in capacity into a giant cache for your most accessed programs. The SRT (Smart Response Technology) sets up as a RAID configuration, so I don't believe that you will be able to run SRT in conjunction with a RAID configuration. Im sticking with Raid 0 Striped. Hope that helps.
Bill
Score
September 5, 2011 11:30:24 AM

dragonwstg said:
Hello,
I have the exact same setup, with the exact same WD Caviar Black Hard Drives. I just bought a new MOBO with the Z68 chipset that supports the new Intel SRT, which turns your SSD up to 64GB in capacity into a giant cache for your most accessed programs. The SRT (Smart Response Technology) sets up as a RAID configuration, so I don't believe that you will be able to run SRT in conjunction with a RAID configuration. Im sticking with Raid 0 Striped. Hope that helps.
Bill

Hey Dragon.
Do you also have a SSD? I'm looking at getting the X58 MOBO.

I wanted to have x2 HDD on RAID 0 then connect the SSD as a cache with SRT.
But you reckon this isn't possible?

Have you tried this is practice or are you guessing?

Thanks mate ;) 
Score
Related resources
September 7, 2011 2:59:05 AM

Hello Again,
There were a couple of factors that made me think that it was probably not possible to use SRT with a current RAID setup.
1) Saw it on a youtube overview, althought they did not site there source.
2) Z68 chipset for my MOBO offers 4x speed increass via Raid 0 Striped on 6gbs SATA ports, and then sepperates the SRT option from that.
I am actually still putting togeather my RIG, but based on the information I've seen, and the fact that I don't feel like buying a SSD quite yet, I have decided to go with the Raid 0 Striped. My assumption is that because there is only one RAID controller on a motherboard, you would not be able to setup RAID for the SRT in conjunction with an already setup RAID config. If you have a spare SSD, id say give it a go. I don't seem to see any infomation saying you can't ( ;
My Configuration
2x 1 TB Caviar WD Blacks
I-7 2600k
16GB DDR3 Vengance
Coolermaster HAF X With V8 Cooler
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155
Score
September 7, 2011 4:57:25 PM

I found this that might help out, also, note that I am not going to go with the RAID 0 Striped setup now. Based on what im seeing, you will see about a 25% gain in performance with Raid0 Striped, but with response to the SRT and Raid 0 combo:
It's Intel's way of giving Z68 owners some value for their money, but it's also a silly way to support your most loyal customers—the earliest adopters of Sandy Bridge platforms who bought motherboards, CPUs and systems before Z68 was made available.

What does Smart Response Technology do? It takes a page from enterprise storage architecture and lets you use a small SSD as a full read/write cache for a hard drive or RAID array.

With the Z68 SATA controllers set to RAID (SRT won't work in AHCI or IDE modes) just install Windows 7 on your hard drive like you normally would. With Intel's RST 10.5 drivers and a spare SSD installed (from any manufacturer) you can choose to use up to 64GB of the SSD as a cache for all accesses to the hard drive. Any space above 64GB is left untouched for you to use as a separate drive letter.

The part in the middle makes me belive that you can use the RAID array in conjunction with SRT.
Regards,
dragonwstg
Score
a c 289 G Storage
September 7, 2011 6:20:37 PM

Just to contradict everybody: The SRT technology is really meant for people who don't want to buy a large SSD and put the OS on it. It makes 20-30 GB SSDs useful.

If you have an SSD that is large enough to hold your OS and your applications, you will see a larger improvement if you install the OS on it according to the various guides that you will find on these forums. (fora? forii?) The vast majority of enthusiasts do it that way because, for the vast majority of situations, it's the best use.

If your OS and apps won't fit in 60 GB you might use the drive for cache, or you could install less-frequently used apps on the hdd.

Some rare users will use the SSD for data. If you are processing huge data sets, like editing HD video, you will get quite a boost by having your input files, your output files, and scratch on an SSD. Of course, you have the overhead of copying it to the SSD before you start, and off when you are finished.

Finally, the obligatory advice: back everything up. Especially if you build a RAID 0, which increases your chance of a failure. Note that RAID0 improves sequential read performance for large reads but doesn't do startup and program loading much good, since its advantage in small random reads is nonexistent.
Score
September 14, 2011 1:56:12 AM

Dragon,

Thanks a bunch for the gouge. I set my configuration up as a Raid 0 striped as well and I could not get the SRT to function, I assume this is because of what you stated previously. So, my current configuration is Z68 Mobo, 2x1TB WD Caviar Black (Raid 0) and 1x60GB OCZ Agility. I put the OS (Windows 7 64bit) on the SSD and set up the registry to run all data and program files from my Raid 0.
Score

Best solution

December 1, 2011 1:59:09 AM

forsaken23 said:
Dragon,

Thanks a bunch for the gouge. I set my configuration up as a Raid 0 striped as well and I could not get the SRT to function, I assume this is because of what you stated previously. So, my current configuration is Z68 Mobo, 2x1TB WD Caviar Black (Raid 0) and 1x60GB OCZ Agility. I put the OS (Windows 7 64bit) on the SSD and set up the registry to run all data and program files from my Raid 0.

I have successfully set up a 64GB SRT caching 2x3TB drives in RAID1 on my P8Z68 ASUS.
steps:
1. Install OS (w7-64) on SSD with RAID enabled in CMOS
2. NOTE: you will need the RAID drives on a USB key (F6 install)
3. Install Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST)drivers/software
4. Configure the SSD with desired cache (64GB of course)
5. Reinstall the OS (step 3 blows away the existing partition)
6. NOTE: you will need the RAID drives on a USB key (F6 install)
7. install drives to be in RAID
8. install RST and configure your RAID array
9. Reboot and enjoy
January 26, 2012 11:31:46 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
January 26, 2012 11:32:05 AM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
!