Sign in with
Your question

Few Questions

Last response: in Overclocking
January 22, 2012 3:13:38 PM

Okay so I've been reading the sticky about water cooling and am interested. However I have a few questions. What is a good online store for water cooling components? Also what are good brands for each component?

Where does the pump go? I've seen some built into the reservoir but do they all get put in there or where?

I've found this place that seems to have a pretty good range.
www.aquatuning.co.uk is it alright?

More about : questions

a c 190 K Overclocking
January 22, 2012 5:26:58 PM

Well heres mine then :p 

Can't see the red/blue cables once doors closed...
both sites Omg mentioned are good, but post a little info more for us please,
specs of rig including case,
overclocking?
gfx cards in loop as well or just Cpu?
ability/desire to mod if needed (check my signature)
and lastly, budget, how much is too much for your wallet?
that little lot will help us help you a bit better :) 
Moto
Related resources
January 22, 2012 6:45:57 PM

I'm doing an ivy bridge build with the i5 3750 or maybe the i7 with 2 sli gtx 670's which I intend to include in the loop. I have the inwin dragon rider and an ax850. I'm happy to mod. As for budget I'm not to sure. I've given up trying to budget, my "£1200" build has gone really over without the water cooling but everything I have gone over with I've been happy with so what ever. I'm expecting it to cost up to £500.
Could you add your dragon rider pics moto cheers.
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 22, 2012 6:52:55 PM

That's a healthy budget for watercooling, I spent ~£300 on my CPU only loop, although it is overkill.

Your case isn't great for watercooling out the box, you could get a slim 120.2 rad in the roof, and perhaps mount another rad externally or mod the front bay's

:) 
January 22, 2012 7:10:30 PM

The only thing I've decided on at the moment is that I want a 720mm radiator to go on the side in replacement of the 220mm fan. Everything else I'm open to suggestion.
January 22, 2012 11:08:11 PM

Okay after reading motos log, I now have more questions.
The res' you used, what size did you use? Also did the cradle comes with or did you make them specially?

GPU water blocks, do they go on the top in replacement of the fans or do they go underneath? Also do companies make GPU blocks for their non reference cards or do you have to use a universal block?

As for motos log, is the computer still a work in progress or is it finished?
How much did it cost to build? What kit did you use for the water cooling?
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 22, 2012 11:32:19 PM

Which res? The Tvirus resses are 250ml each and the XSPC dual bay res with pump inside holds about the same I believe,
When you say cradle, do you mean the acrylic stand for Tvirus (came with) or the rails I used for the drivebay? as mentioned in the log, they're optic drive rails that came with the case,

Gpu blocks, you remove the heatsink/cooler from the card and mount the waterblock directly onto the Gpu, you will also require ramsinks to cool the memory if you use universal blocks, fullcovers are usually just for reference cards but some are available for non-ref, depends on the card tbh,
Mines finished build, but I have plans to put the gfx cards into the waterloop soon, it means more modding and another radiator to mount, I also want to keep the original shrouds on the cards so I have to find a way round things :-)
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 22, 2012 11:34:59 PM

The kit started life as an xspc RX240 kit though
Moto
January 23, 2012 9:28:30 PM

Okay so i've spent most of the day reading reviews of pumps/res etc and i've found a couple that seem pretty good.
I will be using this http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p1126...
with a cpu block and 2 gpu blocks

Will this be good enough?
http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p8078...

Or am i better off spending a little bit more money and getting this
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/12V-Alphacool-Laing-D...
with this
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/XSPC-Acrylic-Dual-525...

I may add a 240mm radiator after i have both graphics cards so which would be the better option?
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 9:37:25 PM

If you're going to drop the money on a D5, I'd recommend the Swiftech MCP35X if you can find it in the UK - it's a bit better than the D5 and the increased pressure would help push through that big rad.

Why add another 240 rad? Are you planning massive OCs? You may just want to consider something bigger than the 720 (like a Phobya Xtreme 1080 or something)
January 24, 2012 4:38:10 AM

Thanks about the pump will check it out.
As for the 720 it's the biggest I can fit internally.
As for the 240, I was thinking about adding it between the CPU and GPUs.
Would a 720+240+120 work as well as a 1080 provided they were all the same standard?
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 12:11:49 PM

I can't believe you can fit a 720 into that case. You may want to cross-check the dimensions...

In theory, those rads are equivalent. With a 720 (3x240) rad, you'll have about the minimum space recommended to provide above-adequate cooling (240 per component), but more is usually better depending on the circumstances.
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 12:18:25 PM

D5 is an excellent pump for the money (I run one in my loop and it works great) but MCP35x is a bit better, as boiler mentions. It's also smaller, which might benefit you in mounting and pump top options if you go that route.

I'm not sure I believe that you can fit that huge radiator inside a case- you really should check how large it is. What case are you installing it INSIDE?
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 12:54:29 PM

Mans got a Dragon rider :) 

I don't see how a 720 will fit inside either and I'm sat next to one lol,
and it definitely isn't going to replace the 220 fan on the door, just too big
Moto
January 24, 2012 4:39:55 PM

Erm yeah, i may have forgotten about the graphics cards when i looked at measurements because it fits both width and height. The graphics card would leave 15mm for the motherboard, so it looks like it going on the outside then. The only problem at the moment is that i think its brand new so there's no reviews or pictures. Also the holes are on top but at least i can work with that.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 4:42:28 PM

Whats brand new? the Dragon rider, gfx card or the rad?
External mount it is then, and thats not a problem at all :) 
Moto
January 24, 2012 5:49:42 PM

I think the rad has only just been released but I won't be buying it til march at the earliest so plenty of time for reviews etc.
External mount works in my favour because I can get 6 120mm fans to pull but I can also use the stock 220mm fan to push because they use different mounts.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 6:17:19 PM

Are you going for attaching to the back side panel?
you'll have to factor in the mesh for the Cpu fan at the back, maybe work round it by having some interesting brackets,
did you change your picture btw?
I approve ofc...
Moto
January 24, 2012 7:44:28 PM

No the 720 is going on the side where you put your window, going to put a 240 on the top, possibly a single 120 on the back.
I do want to do something to the back but as to what i have no idea at the moment. I'll just keep looking at other peoples builds etc.
I kinda changed my picture. I didn't actually have one before but your picture reminded me how much i love that film. Has to be my favourite film of all time.
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 7:59:44 PM

If you put it on the side where a window would normally go, this is the case door side...how are you going to maintain this when you need to open your case? I realize having some extra tubing will be required, but seems like more trouble than what it's worth. Opposite side would be a better idea, IMO...that's where I had mine mounted. When you need to open the case, you don't have to worry about 5lbs of waterlogged radiator to be part of that process.
January 24, 2012 9:17:12 PM

I had thought of that. I'd considered seeing if the doors would literally switch over. If not see about attaching hinges to the doors.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 11:30:24 PM

Remember the fans mounted in the panel/door, that one on the back blows onto the Cpu and does actually affect its temp,
I'm not just a fan of the film though, series was called Firefly and is the precursive story to the films events,
I also named my Motorcycle after the ship :-)
Moto
January 25, 2012 5:08:35 AM

Can the radiator be on a flat surface or does it have to be elevated to let air through? Would it just be as simple as drilling some holes in the back of the case?
Yeah I've heard of firefly but haven't seen it. I didn't want to watch it, get drawn in only to be disapointed when it finishes on a cliff hanger that I will never see the end of.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:14:20 PM

Well the 'cliffhanger' turned out to be the film so it gets resolved :p 

you can mount the rad onto a flat surface if it is grilled/perforated or even as you said, just elevated from the suface an inch or two

I would mount it on legs tbh rather than drilling a load of holes into the panel,, although that is an option obviously
Moto
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:17:12 PM

Yeah, if you mount a rad, you need to ensure there is space to allow complete airflow from one side and out the other.
January 25, 2012 8:16:03 PM

Well, going to have a look this weekend and see if I can fit a hinge on both panels. Whether or not I do watercool or not they will still be useful.
Yet another question. If I put a radiator on the side panel, how would I route the wires to the motherboard as there are no holes other than the water cooling holes which I intend to use?
Also how heavy is a rad when full of water? Say 2x120?

And as for firefly, didn't realise that serenity carried straight on. If that's the case I'll order them this weekend.
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 8:26:30 PM

Quote:
Yet another question. If I put a radiator on the side panel, how would I route the wires to the motherboard as there are no holes other than the water cooling holes which I intend to use?

Why do you have wires from the outside of your side panel?

Quote:
Also how heavy is a rad when full of water? Say 2x120?

A 220 rad probably weighs, what, maybe about 1 lb or so?
January 25, 2012 8:38:14 PM

For the fans because they would have to go on the rad.
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 8:40:19 PM

You drill or modify the length.

Welcome to watercooling, and by default, welcome to modding. :) 
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 12:25:31 AM

Go over my build log again :-)
And yay for quoting my Signature hehe
Moto
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 12:27:48 AM

Well...it's technically my signature...I said it, you quoted it. But fair enough, it's yours to keep forever.... :) 
January 26, 2012 6:11:19 PM

The funny thing is, when i first read the sig, i thought you were joking. . .then i did more research lol.

Anyway this is what i've come up with so far
MCP35X
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/12V-MCP35X-DDC-Pump-S...
XSPC D5BAY
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/XSPC-Acrylic-Dual-525...
EK Supreme HF Acetal
http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p8201...
Magicool Hexa 720mm Rad
http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p1126...
And then i came across these
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/cat/Hose-Fittings_39.ht...
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/cat/Hose-&-Accessories_...
While i understand about thread, id and od, i'm not actually sure what fittings i need.
My only requirement for tubing is that its uv green.

I've also come across another problem.
At the moment i have 2 fans as intake, 1 220mm and 1 120mm.
And 3 exhaust, 2 120mm's up top and another 120mm at the back.
But when i get the rad i will have another 6 120mm's as exhaust plus i will have to change the 220mm to exhaust to help the rad.
Is it as simple as changing the current exhaust to intake? or is that likely to cause heat pockets at the top or something?

PS sorry if i seem to be dragging this thread on a bit.
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 6:27:42 PM

Fittingswise, you decide what diameter tubing you are having,
say 11mm id/16mm od,(or the imperial equivalent 3/8"/5/8")

you then have to select fittings with an outside diameter of 5/8 or thereabouts,
so that the tubing fits tight enough not to leak, but isn't too hard to get onto the fitting :p 
If you mount the rad on the door panel, you can have the fans blowing into the case, I'd remove the 220mm fan as well and just let the radfans push air into the case along with the two intakes at the front, top and rear stay exhaust,
and rather than thinking you're dragging this out, we admire the fact that your learning and avoiding future fkups :p 
too many threads here start with 'I to is fitting watercooling now my house burned down and my feet are wet' :) 
better to learn first then apply I reckon
@Rubix, I tried finding the original thread where I said that and you quoted it and said, "^This needs to be your sig" but can't,
either way at least people see the wisdom, whoever said it :p 
Moto
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 6:35:55 PM

Quote:
MCP35X
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/ [...] _3740.html
XSPC D5BAY
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/ [...] _1453.html

Might want to change one or the other...DDC pump, D5 res.

Quote:
@Rubix, I tried finding the original thread where I said that and you quoted it and said, "^This needs to be your sig" but can't,

Yeah, I don't remember where it was either. I've said a lot of stuff like that, but then it dawns on me that I should make a sticky of a bunch of stuff we all tend to say. :) 
a c 190 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 7:59:39 PM

@Rubix, start up a sticky then, posts with sig-worthy statements get moved into the Original post
And first on the list is.........

'That needs to be a sticky."
Moto
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 8:30:25 PM

I think that's what someone said when the WC forum went live...'make your sig into a sticky'. :)  Might have to do something like this...

Quote:
Does tubing size affect performance at all or is some just more flexible than others or something?

Tubing size does, but only when you get smaller than 3/8"ID. 3/8"ID, 7/16"ID and 1/2"ID are the most common, with 1/2 being the most mostest commonly used. Flexible tubing is usually those that have a thicker tubing wall, typically about 1/8" or so. So, when looking at tubing, there are usually 2 dimensions, ID and OD. For instance, my tubing is Primochill LRT blue 1/2"ID and 5/8"OD...meaning the difference is 1/8" tubing wall...it flexes well without kinking.
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2012 12:39:49 AM

Quote:
most mostest commonly used

Intentional? Hilarious nonetheless

Quote:
Flexible tubing is usually those that have a thicker tubing wall, typically about 1/8" or so. So, when looking at tubing, there are usually 2 dimensions, ID and OD. For instance, my tubing is Primochill LRT blue 1/2"ID and 5/8"OD...meaning the difference is 1/8" tubing wall...it flexes well without kinking.

Whereas my 1/2" ID 3/4" OD (1/4" tubing wall) has a wall twice as thick and tends to not bend as easily. It doesn't have issues kinking, just with ease of bending.
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 27, 2012 12:43:12 AM

Quote:
Whereas my 1/2" ID 3/4" OD (1/4" tubing wall) has a wall twice as thick and tends to not bend as easily. It doesn't have issues kinking, just with ease of bending.

It's been a long couple days...this was what I meant... I have 1/2"ID 3/4"OD Primo LRT. But they do make thin walled 1/2"ID 5/8"OD as well.

Quote:
Intentional? Hilarious nonetheless

This actually was intentional, while most of my other screw-ups are accidental. :) 
January 29, 2012 9:32:07 PM

Okay so I managed to have a look about the hinges and there's no room what so ever unless I take the front panel off.
Read through the sticky (again) and was wondering how do you know when to change water? I mean does it start going murky or something?
Also how do you empty the water loop without spraying everything with water as soon as you undo something?
Another thing, the rad plus fans are going to come out about 75mm off the side, am I going to have to replace the feet with longer/stronger feet or will it be alright?
One last thing (I think) is bi-distilled water better than normal distilled or is it something they do as an exscuse to charge more?
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2012 10:37:31 PM

Quote:
Read through the sticky (again) and was wondering how do you know when to change water? I mean does it start going murky or something?

It shouldn't start changing color, but the general rule is ~6 months. It's kind of a case-by-case sort of deal. If your loop was prepped right (everything washed properly prior to installation, biocide, etc.) you don't have to flush as often. really the only things that can change the water color are biological growth, dirty components (metal shavings from manufacture, etc), or metal-metal reactions (which shouldn't happen if you don't mix metals).

Quote:
Also how do you empty the water loop without spraying everything with water as soon as you undo something?

You have a few options. If you are going to use a bayres, you can empty the loop via the fillport. You can also add a T- or Y-fitting and a plug fitting to create a small drainage loop without compromising flow rates. Feel free to be inventive here, as adding these options isn't really one-size-fits-all.

Quote:
Another thing, the rad plus fans are going to come out about 75mm off the side, am I going to have to replace the feet with longer/stronger feet or will it be alright?

Not sure here. It may help to add something that will stabilize the rad, as it may bend the case panel.

Quote:
One last thing (I think) is bi-distilled water better than normal distilled or is it something they do as an exscuse to charge more?

I'd assume it's cleaner, but I don't know how much cleaner. Normal distilled water from the grocery store is generally clean enough. It's probably not worth 100%+ of the price of distilled for the marginal increase in cleanliness.
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 29, 2012 10:39:15 PM

I ran a loop on distilled, dye and biocide for over 2 years...nothing happened except I ended up with blue stained tubing.
!