Sign in with
Your question

P55 Motherboard-Mem Correctly installed? Won't boot to bios now.

Last response: in Motherboards
March 31, 2010 4:04:58 AM

Quick question.
I installed a new MB in my system over the weekend. Went from an AMD to a Gigabyte P55 with an I5-750. I do not think I ever changed the way the memory was put in-I put each 2 GB stick into the slots closest to the processor. All of a sudden it stopped working and turns on and then off real quickly-does not even get to bios. Now I read where I maybe I had the memory maybe not installed correctly-should have had the memory installed by channel. Here is the graphic I found-let me know if I am reading this correctly...

If I have two modules, I should have installed them in slots 1 and 3...not 1 and 2?
Would that cause the system to NOT even boot up to bios? As I said, it was working earlier in the weekend with the memory incorrectly installed (had the DIMMS in slot 1 and 2)
a c 177 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
March 31, 2010 12:30:14 PM

Should be in DDR3_1 & DDR3_3; you didn't give a MOBO part number, so I'm not positive, but I think all the 1156's are color-coded the same - should be the white slots, second and fourth from the CPU. That could be your problem; as the memory controller is on the processor now, they are more 'finicky' about RAM placement. Don't for get to do the "Load Optimized Defaults" from the BIOS, first time you can get into it...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
April 2, 2010 3:19:07 PM

Bilbat is correct, you want the RAM: in DDR3_1 & DDR3_3 ... the white slots, second and fourth from the CPU.

Based on your screenshot, it looks like you have the GA-P55M-UD2? The key information is acutally just below where your screenshot cut off. Item #2 in that list states (this is page 16 in the manual):

Quote:
2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used for optimum performance. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 sockets.

m
l
!