7970 HD doesn't work

G

So I tried to OC my i7-3930K and 7970 HD on P9X79 Pro. All I did is set frequency from 925/1375 to 1125/1525 in ATI Control panel, everything else was on auto. Then I used Asus overclocking function on Asus Utility, put it on Extreme mode. It OCed my i7-3930K to 4.6Ghz and then when it restarted my PC, I got a motherboard warning beeps meaning "VGA is not detected". I installed my old 7800GTX from old PC and system started back on.

So what could be wrong with 7970? Is it fried or something?

Can I bring it back to store for replacemet or send it back to manufacturer in this case?

G

That's the max you can put in ATI Control panel or MSI Afterburner.
So, is is there anything I can do to make 7970 work again? Is there way to underclock it?

Smooth... just randomly try maxing out GPU clocks and run an auto CPU OC tweaker at the same time, and wonder why *** fucked up.

Next time, read some guides/tutorials so you don't screw your extremely expensive computer up.

brianmz

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Like they said, reset the Bios, and did you also up the vid card voltage when you increase the frequency?

Next time try, overclocking in small intervals.

G

I didnt touch any of voltage settings. Just set on Extreme auto CPU/RAM tuner (Auto Tuning TurboV) and maxed up GPU frequency in ATI Control Centre.

So my PC is started back on, kinda... When I pressed CLR_CMOS it finally detected 7970 and loaded the system. But when I turned off the system or restarted it normally, the same error happened again. Only time it works is when I press CLR_CMOS button on P9X79 and it automatically starts the PC.

Then I enabled EPU and TPU switches on my motherboard, and now it's loading without pressing CLR_CMOS again and again. Backed out every tweak I did, will see how it will run. The only thing I don't like is that now it's only working with EPU and TPU switches on, before it worked without them being enabled...

Make sure that your overclock isn't still being applied in CCC when you boot, that may be whats causing the issue when you restart.

Also I'd recommend going into the BIOS and making sure that your memory timings/voltage/speed are all set up correctly.

Like other people have mentioned, take it easy next time, small increments is the way.

G

Wouldnt those settings set back to defaults when I cleared CMOS?
Just realized that utility TurboV EVO also OC GPU...
Don't really wanna try to OC anything except maybe CPU again.
Is there an utility to test GPU, RAM and CPU so make sure everything is still OK?

No when I said "Make sure that your overclock isn't still being applied in CCC" I was referring to the GPU overclock...

Use Prime95's blend mode or LinX's maximum burn mode to test CPU and RAM, you could use Furmark, a benchmark like 3DMark11 or a demanding game like BF3 to test your card.

G

Oh, yes I set it back to 925/1375 stock settings right away. I was referring that to going into BIOS and making sure timings and voltage are set up correctly.

Ah right sorry yeah most of the time the BIOS doesn't get it right so its best to go into the BIOS and manually set the values for timings/voltage/speed...
Obviously if these values are incorrect then it can cause instability, Maybe the ASUS overclocking utility messed with the RAM?

Anyway you have it at stock so hopefully all is well

:)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Lots of people wanting/trying to overclock that really shouldn't...at least without doing a lot of research first. They really should make you take a quiz before you can download GUI tools for overclocking- too many people think it's a dummy proof option for 'Impress your friends by pushing one button'.

Good lord...use some common sense.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

As harsh as this is... I agree :/
I know way too many people who think like that. "let me just press this! they wouldn't give me this button if they didn't want me to press it!" :/

Anyway. Hope you get your PC running, kind of doubt you damaged anything that quick if you used quality stuff (PSU, MOBO, ect)...

G

That's kinda like I thought:) Gonna be careful next time I ever decide to OC anything.

Thank you all for the help with this.