Change a different raid controller without lost data?

webster johnson

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
I have two 60G IDE hard disk in an ITC D900K laptop with raid 0 setting just died. Could I use a different raid card connect them to my pc to read the data without damage the raid , or how to get my data back?

Thanks!

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I would use a data recovery utility to retrieve the data. Hook up the harddrives one at a time through a regular IDE controller, run R-Studio (r-tt.com) and image the drives individually to other storage. You can then reconstruct the array algning thee disk images (there are only two options in your case) and read the full disk and recover your data.

It is POSSIBLE (although dangerous and not recommended without imaging the disks anyway) you can connect them to a similiar IDE raid controller, setup the raid identically without initializing the volume (not all controllers allow this), boot from a windows rapair disk, load the drivers for the new raid controller, and reboot and it MAY work but its a bit of a long shot and could ruin your data.

webster johnson

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

webster johnson

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Thanks Tokencode,
I was using a same way that connect both hard disk to a dual channel IDE motherboard, boot from other hard disk with normal window.The R-Studio deosn't works properly. it only can be created a virtual raid o mirror, and it only recovers the directery as the original raid listed titles, but all sub-directory are unreadable.

webster johnson

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011

Thanks tokencode,
I finally got it work with right connection, all the datas are correctly accessed.
many thanks!