Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer - Express Gate

G

Hi folks,

I just joined the forums. Quite a few interesting reads so far! Anyway, I have a question of my own!

I am a first-time builder and I got everything running beautifully. EXCEPT, I'm not sure why Express Gate won't work! :eek: I used the cd that came with the motherboard to install all of the software. I've tried installing and uninstalling express gate several times. The worst part is I can't find any support information for the Express Gate feature online.

Whenever I start-up my computer it says "Loading Express Gate.." Then it says that the installation is incomplete. Any ideas how to get this to work? Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Parts list if it helps:

Intel Core i7 - 860 Lynnfield Processor @ 2.8GHz
Asus P7P55 WS SuperComputer ATXX Motherboard
EVGA 9800 GTX + Graphics Card
G.SKILL RipJaw 4GB Triple Channel DDR3 1600 RAM
Corsair 850W Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF 932 Steel ATX Full Tower Case

The funny thing that ASUS didnt do was put support for AHCI in express gate so if you have your hard drives in AHCI mode in bios express gate wont work. You are not missing much really I have an ASUS board too and I disabled AHCI just to check it out and I dont see the point of it. Windows 7 on a modern system loads in a minute or less anyway so its not like you have to wait a ridiculous amount of time for windows to load. Also most users put there computers in sleep mode most of the time I rarely shut down my desktop. If you are using windows 7 it can wake up from sleep and be ready to go in literally 20 seconds so my point of this story is don't even worry about it what I did was just disabled it in the bios all together.

G

Hi, I just disabled Express Gate like you suggested. No point in waiting if it doesn't work anyway.

I saw the AHCI mode in the bios. I didn't know what it was, but I did recognize RAID so I put it in that mode. Not sure what that does anyway. I certainly don't think my hard drives are in RAID because it didn't even ask me what mode.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Too bad it Express Gate doesn't work. It would have been nice.

G

Just an update for everyones information. In the bios I changed it to IDE and Express Gate worked fine but my computer would not boot. I switched it back to RAID and my computer booted fine.

This is under "Storage Configuration" under the first tab in the bios.

G

Ah, that's why Express Gate won't work on my P7P55 either; I set AHCI in the BIOS as I have an SSD, and ACHI supports some features the older IDE won't. Pity - it would be handy to be able to boot into Linux sometimes, (yes I could set up dual-boot but it would be nice to get it by default!).

I can tell you why you can't boot under IDE: when you install Windows 7 it sets up drivers etc. according to whether your BIOS is set for ACHI or IDE. If you then change the BIOS over, Windows won't boot; if you really want to change to IDE you'll have to reinstall Windows 7! (You may have to reinstall if you switch to or from RAID too - not sure about that.)