I'm going to pick up one of these two cards in the very near future(next week). My system is in my signature. So what does everyone think would be the best. I'm thinking the 5850 would be plenty, since I can get a second one for x-fire down the road. I do plan on getting a new CPU in the next couple of months as well. Probally the 955/965 phenom 2, or maybe the 6 core next year. So keep that in mind. Thanks for the input.

Solution
The 5850 WILL do what you need it to do any more, don't both wasting money on a 5870. Overclock your 5850(s) and you will have near 5870 performance anyways. Save some cash, because it's not worth it. One 5850 can run Crysis wonderfully and your resolution - so what will two do?
Well if I plan to eventually crossfire 2 of the cards in question, will a 750w PSU be enough for for 2x5850/5870. I also game at 1920x1080, but both cards should handle that resolution with ease, I would think from all the reviews I have read. I like turning up the eye-candy as well, so 1920x1080 with say 4x AA for most games.

metalweenis

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The 5850 WILL do what you need it to do any more, don't both wasting money on a 5870. Overclock your 5850(s) and you will have near 5870 performance anyways. Save some cash, because it's not worth it. One 5850 can run Crysis wonderfully and your resolution - so what will two do?

Solution

I plan to get the second card down the road just to keep performance up on future games(next 2-3 years). Down the road maybe a year from now, maybe longer depending on the prices. Basically it's the same as what I did with my 3870's. I bought one card first at regular price, and when a few games came out that bought that card to it's knees, I picked up a second card to compensate. It worked out really well to last for an extra year, year and a half. That would be my overall plan. That and a newer CPU sometime in the next year or so as well. I just try to keep my computer up to date, adding upgrades as needed basically.

I've got plenty of room, about 16 inches to be precise. Even then I could remove the bottom drive bays. :D I'm not quite sure what model case this is. My brother gave it to me about 5 years ago. It has 4 80mm fan slots, and a 120mm slot. It also has a clear side window. The only indication of the manufacturer of the case is a circle with a T in the center. Thermaltake maybe?