I5-2500k and H80, 5ghz....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The H80 can handle those 5GHz without problems, I run the same CPU with an TX3 EVO at 1.420V without problems and overheating.

Its not just the heatsink that effects the temps, ambient temps, voltage and case airflow are also important.

If your temps at 4.8Ghz are good under prime95 then you could try and progress to 5Ghz and then you'll be able to answer your own question.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If your temps at 4.8Ghz are good under prime95 then you could try and progress to 5Ghz and then you'll be able to answer your own question.

Agree. If you've got to 4.8, why are you stopping there until you get the approval of a forum thread? Just go do it and see what happens...every chip behaves a bit differently so no one can really say how yours is going to respond to that speed and the volts needed.

dharmenparikh

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
The H80 can easily do it but the max recommended voltage for 2500k is 1.38v...any higher requires water cooling if you plan to keep the vcore 24/7..just keep that in mind. The H80 can handle it..but it has to run on high fans....aka leafblower noise is to be expected. Get some earplugs

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer

Yes, just because it allows your CPU to run at that speed, at what temperatures does that happen? Most people getting into watercooling really are more concerned about the looks and not really focus on performance...correctly calculating the delta-T for your loop is an essential process for a good build.

Well, really, you don't need to ask us about if you should and what temps. Do it. You have it all.

I wouldn't pass 1.42-1.44v with even a watercooler. I think you could get 5Ghz if you have 4.8Ghz with good temps right now. I am gonna say go for it. 5Ghz on a 2600k is possible and may people have done it, so I bet your H80 could do it if it is paired with a good motherboard. Have fun!

For 4.8Ghz, many people get around 1.38-1.41v. I would say if you are running 4.8Ghz on 1.38v, you are set for 1.4v for 5Ghz. Use offset voltage.

If its not stable increase the Vcore slightly... we've not tested your chip so we don't know what will make it stable... :pt1cable:

i can do 5ghz on 1.4v on my 2600k with a corsair h80 with 2 fans in push pull

only slight issue is when i set the voltage manually to 1.4v in the bios when its idle the cpu speed drops ok but

the voltage stays at 1.4v--dont know if a bios update when it appears will fix this

or if i set something in the bios thats stopping the voltage dropping when idle

its not going to be much faster from 4.8ghz to 5ghz--but its just nice to see the 5ghz boundary broken

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sometimes, doing something for the sake of saying you did it far exceeds any kind of practicality for doing so - often with complete disregard for any kind of valid reasoning other than trying to impress people on the internet that you really don't know or even like.

Going from 4.5ghz to 5ghz falls into this category.

undercovernerd6

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I'm at 4.6 with 1.27 I keep crashing and decided to let it stand. If you want to go further keep increasing the mh and vcore till your mobo is stable. Just fyi anything under 200$ without proper cooling and monitoring of your mobo can cause it to fry. YeA your CPU is cool but what's ur nb and sb at other components can crap out easily. 5gh is a serious overclock even for the experienced.

Does the gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 have good enough heatsinks for them?

Exactly. If he could hit 6ghz on air at stock volts, I would be impressed, that would pretty much equal my best OC, which by the way was actually needed.

How is that like your Best OC? 6Ghz on air and stock volts is impossible. I have no clue how you have hit that.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There are a lot of new people wanting to overclock to very high levels without reading, researching or understanding what they are doing, how to get there and most of all, realistic expectations based on hardware and their own ability.

This 'just tell me what to do because I don't want to learn how on my own' thought porcess really needs to take a step back and realize that everyone with this mentality is causing a degradation in how society expects instant answers without personal contribution. Then you encounter the fact that sometimes what they are asking just isn't reasonable stirs up a pot of what they think they can and should be possible based on obscure information and not realistic, personal limitations. Temper tantrums and what appears to be self-entitlement claims, ensue.

The Internet:

blacksquare-17-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.