Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I5-2500k and H80, 5ghz....?

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 149 K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 1:04:10 AM

Right now I have gotten my i5-2500k up to 4.8ghz with the h80 at 1.38v would 5ghz be pushing it? Would the temps significantly increase?

More about : 2500k h80 5ghz

a c 280 K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 12:01:12 PM

amuffin said:
Right now I have gotten my i5-2500k up to 4.8ghz with the h80 at 1.38v would 5ghz be pushing it? Would the temps significantly increase?

The H80 can handle those 5GHz without problems, I run the same CPU with an TX3 EVO at 1.420V without problems and overheating.
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 1:06:57 PM

A better question is with 2 midrange video cards, what would be the point of 5ghz.....or even 4.8ghz?
Related resources
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 1:12:57 PM

Its not just the heatsink that effects the temps, ambient temps, voltage and case airflow are also important.

If your temps at 4.8Ghz are good under prime95 then you could try and progress to 5Ghz and then you'll be able to answer your own question.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 1:18:45 PM

Quote:
If your temps at 4.8Ghz are good under prime95 then you could try and progress to 5Ghz and then you'll be able to answer your own question.

Agree. If you've got to 4.8, why are you stopping there until you get the approval of a forum thread? Just go do it and see what happens...every chip behaves a bit differently so no one can really say how yours is going to respond to that speed and the volts needed.
January 23, 2012 5:21:08 PM

The H80 can easily do it but the max recommended voltage for 2500k is 1.38v...any higher requires water cooling if you plan to keep the vcore 24/7..just keep that in mind. The H80 can handle it..but it has to run on high fans....aka leafblower noise is to be expected. Get some earplugs
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 5:26:46 PM

This also depends at what temps you are comfortable running at as well. Increased voltage = increased temps.
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 6:16:57 PM

+1^

Also no one is considering ambient air temps or case cooling... both of which have a direct effect on CPU temps.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 6:34:57 PM

Rustyy117 said:
+1^

Also no one is considering ambient air temps or case cooling... both of which have a direct effect on CPU temps.

Yes, just because it allows your CPU to run at that speed, at what temperatures does that happen? Most people getting into watercooling really are more concerned about the looks and not really focus on performance...correctly calculating the delta-T for your loop is an essential process for a good build.
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 9:16:27 PM

Well, really, you don't need to ask us about if you should and what temps. Do it. You have it all.

I wouldn't pass 1.42-1.44v with even a watercooler. I think you could get 5Ghz if you have 4.8Ghz with good temps right now. I am gonna say go for it. 5Ghz on a 2600k is possible and may people have done it, so I bet your H80 could do it if it is paired with a good motherboard. Have fun!
a c 149 K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 9:42:42 PM

Well this rig isn't for gaming, mostly video editing and photoshop. How many volts for an optimal 4.8ghz, because it crashed under prime95. I think it was mac os acting up again :\
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 9:48:53 PM

amuffin said:
Well this rig isn't for gaming, mostly video editing and photoshop. How many volts for an optimal 4.8ghz, because it crashed under prime95. I think it was mac os acting up again :\

For 4.8Ghz, many people get around 1.38-1.41v. I would say if you are running 4.8Ghz on 1.38v, you are set for 1.4v for 5Ghz. Use offset voltage.
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 8:55:06 AM

amuffin said:

If its not stable increase the Vcore slightly... we've not tested your chip so we don't know what will make it stable... :pt1cable: 
a c 149 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 1:58:29 PM

So, what is the best way of testing?
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 2:35:02 PM

Trial and error with BIOS settings and Intel Burn test.
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 3:07:52 PM

i can do 5ghz on 1.4v on my 2600k with a corsair h80 with 2 fans in push pull

only slight issue is when i set the voltage manually to 1.4v in the bios when its idle the cpu speed drops ok but

the voltage stays at 1.4v--dont know if a bios update when it appears will fix this

or if i set something in the bios thats stopping the voltage dropping when idle

its not going to be much faster from 4.8ghz to 5ghz--but its just nice to see the 5ghz boundary broken
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 3:26:10 PM

But what temps do you see @ load at 5ghz?

That is the point I'm trying to make.
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 6:10:18 PM

I'm sure another 200mhz is really going to allow you to photoshop so much more efficiently. Screw it go for 6ghz.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 6:28:48 PM

Sometimes, doing something for the sake of saying you did it far exceeds any kind of practicality for doing so - often with complete disregard for any kind of valid reasoning other than trying to impress people on the internet that you really don't know or even like.

Going from 4.5ghz to 5ghz falls into this category.
a c 149 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 4:03:11 AM

I just keep it at 4.5ghz atm, is prime 95 a better way of testing than intel burn in? Because I have mac os on that system and It doesn't have burn in.,...
January 25, 2012 5:29:40 AM

I'm at 4.6 with 1.27 I keep crashing and decided to let it stand. If you want to go further keep increasing the mh and vcore till your mobo is stable. Just fyi anything under 200$ without proper cooling and monitoring of your mobo can cause it to fry. YeA your CPU is cool but what's ur nb and sb at other components can crap out easily. 5gh is a serious overclock even for the experienced.
a c 149 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:44:48 AM

undercovernerd6 said:
I'm at 4.6 with 1.27 I keep crashing and decided to let it stand. If you want to go further keep increasing the mh and vcore till your mobo is stable. Just fyi anything under 200$ without proper cooling and monitoring of your mobo can cause it to fry. YeA your CPU is cool but what's ur nb and sb at other components can crap out easily. 5gh is a serious overclock even for the experienced.

Does the gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 have good enough heatsinks for them?
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 2:15:11 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Sometimes, doing something for the sake of saying you did it far exceeds any kind of practicality for doing so - often with complete disregard for any kind of valid reasoning other than trying to impress people on the internet that you really don't know or even like.

Going from 4.5ghz to 5ghz falls into this category.

Exactly. If he could hit 6ghz on air at stock volts, I would be impressed, that would pretty much equal my best OC, which by the way was actually needed.

a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 2:18:55 PM

geekapproved said:
Exactly. If he could hit 6ghz on air at stock volts, I would be impressed, that would pretty much equal my best OC, which by the way was actually needed.

How is that like your Best OC? 6Ghz on air and stock volts is impossible. I have no clue how you have hit that.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 2:24:38 PM

There are a lot of new people wanting to overclock to very high levels without reading, researching or understanding what they are doing, how to get there and most of all, realistic expectations based on hardware and their own ability.

This 'just tell me what to do because I don't want to learn how on my own' thought porcess really needs to take a step back and realize that everyone with this mentality is causing a degradation in how society expects instant answers without personal contribution. Then you encounter the fact that sometimes what they are asking just isn't reasonable stirs up a pot of what they think they can and should be possible based on obscure information and not realistic, personal limitations. Temper tantrums and what appears to be self-entitlement claims, ensue.

The Internet:

a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 3:49:24 PM

HostileDonut said:
How is that like your Best OC? 6Ghz on air and stock volts is impossible. I have no clue how you have hit that.

I said 6ghz from a 3.3ghz chip would be almost equal my best OC, which would be almost double stock speed. I was referring to a 1.86ghz cpu I ran at 3.45ghz.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:01:24 PM

Quote:

It isn't possible, which circles back around to the point I was making- research into processes, understanding, best-practices and actual DIY would tell you that you couldn't do this with any current i5/i7.

You shouldn't just try to find the BIOS settings to plug in from another user, bump them up a bit and assume it will work. Hardware is never exactly the same, even when using the same exact components. You are directly responsible for the overclocking of your components, and thus...responsible for their failure if/when that happens...no one else. Therefore, you are then responsible for funding the replacement...and no, you can't just RMA a CPU that has been killed from incorrect overclocking.
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:20:05 PM

geekapproved said:
I said 6ghz from a 3.3ghz chip would be almost equal my best OC, which would be almost double stock speed. I was referring to a 1.86ghz cpu I ran at 3.45ghz.

Ah, I see. I was wondering how you did that. I was like, what?! I wanna see that! But taking a (I am guessing core 2 duo) from 1.86Ghz to 3.45ghz is a little different.
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:20:55 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:

It isn't possible, which circles back around to the point I was making- research into processes, understanding, best-practices and actual DIY would tell you that you couldn't do this with any current i5/i7.

You shouldn't just try to find the BIOS settings to plug in from another user, bump them up a bit and assume it will work. Hardware is never exactly the same, even when using the same exact components. You are directly responsible for the overclocking of your components, and thus...responsible for their failure if/when that happens...no one else. Therefore, you are then responsible for funding the replacement...and no, you can't just RMA a CPU that has been killed from incorrect overclocking.

I know, I was just wondering how he did that. 6Ghz would be INSANE even with water cooling and and extremely high voltage.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:25:39 PM

It wouldn't be possible. As it is, 5ghz requires voltages that degrade the lifespan of these chips. Remember that when you increase voltage, you exponentially increase power draw and heat as a result.
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:26:58 PM

rubix_1011 said:
It wouldn't be possible. As it is, 5ghz requires voltages that degrade the lifespan of these chips. Remember that when you increase voltage, you exponentially increase power draw and heat as a result.

Yes, I didn't mean to keep it stable. I just meant to get it there and boot! XD
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:29:55 PM

...So what is the purpose of doing it?
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:31:45 PM

Willy waving and benchmarks/WR's

:) 
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:31:48 PM

rubix_1011 said:
...So what is the purpose of doing it?

Nothing really...... never mind.....
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:35:36 PM

I feel it's a valid question-

If you can have an OC running in BIOS and just get a simple boot, but can't prove it operates under load to show how much performance gain was achieved, how is it really a successful overclock? You'd need to put the CPU under load with a valid testing engine and validate that it is able to operate at the speeds being set.

If you are just wanting to hit <insert target overclock speed here> and not have any way to prove it, save yourself the trouble, skip the actual overclock configuration and just tell everyone that you did it.

Sorry- just trying to provide a valid debate on overclocking and desired intent.
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:37:36 PM

rubix_1011 said:

If you can have an OC running in BIOS and just get a simple boot, but can't prove it operates under load to show how much performance gain was achieved, how is it really a successful overclock? You'd need to put the CPU under load with a valid testing engine and validate that it is able to operate at the speeds being set.

If you are just wanting to hit <insert target overclock speed here> and not have any way to prove it, save yourself the trouble, skip the actual overclock configuration and just tell everyone that you did it.

Sorry- just trying to provide a valid debate on overclocking and desired intent.

Haha, okay, I see, just I don't even think most Core i5 2500Ks will accept a 6Ghz boot up. Just that would have been impressive to me.
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 5:42:46 PM

rubix_1011 said:

I think what you said holds true for almost all people that overclock, Generally people just want a boost in performance and to maintain stability.

There are some people though that are into benching (Look on HWbot) and so don't need an overclock to be 24hr prime stable, just stable enough to get a 3DMark run or whatever.

Also some enthusiasts like to see what clock speed they can boot at, then validate that clock with CPU-Z.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 6:03:57 PM

I will agree with the latter portion of your statement, and while I do agree with this, most people overclocking will usually state this as their goal or even long-term plan. They also tend to know more about the hardware they currently are running as well as more background into what is required. But, as in everything, there is that variable of 'everyone has to start somewhere'...

a c 125 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 6:12:56 PM

Yeah everyone has to start somewhere... I just wish they didn't start with "hey!, I wanna overclock... what settings do I need!" Really grinds my gears

a c 280 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 6:13:50 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Willy waving and benchmarks/WR's

For WR's you will need more than 5GHz and liquid cooling...
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 6:17:04 PM

saint19 said:
For WR's you will need more than 5GHz and liquid cooling...

Yup true, I was referring to the principle of overclocking to the bleeding edge, rather than a specific clock speed.

My inner nerd would love to play with LN2 :D 

a c 324 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 6:24:03 PM

Or liquid helium...

I'd be perfectly content with a good, solid phase setup on CPU and chilled water loop for GPUs.

Dear Santa...
a c 149 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 6:00:24 AM

You can't hit above 5.7ghz on the K series right? Not that there is any setup that could keep that under control 24/7...
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 8:25:36 AM

5.3 is about the extent of what I've seen, but I don't hang out in overclocking circles that much.
a c 125 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 9:10:12 AM

I've seen 2600/2700K's hit 58x multi, that's with crazy volts and certainly not stable.
a c 280 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 11:02:55 AM

5.9GHz for 2500k and around 6GHz for 2600k, with only phase change you can do that since LN2 is extreme cooling at -190ÂșC and Intel couldbug can give you problems.
a c 324 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 1:15:27 PM

It's theoretically possible, you just encounter physical and thermal limitations before you can typically reach those speeds.

Do these guys need to do a lot of board modding to support that much voltage over what a chip is rated? I know you can usually go well over a chip's supported voltage, but how about keeping the board stable?
a b K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 1:50:57 PM

What about the OP? What have you hit?
a c 280 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 3:17:51 PM

I think that we are off topic.

The current mobos doesn't need voltmod, the chips support the overvoltage with good cooling (sub-zero) without problem BUT don't forget reset BIOS after finish the test or you can kill the chip in the idiot way (sorry for the word)
a c 206 K Overclocking
January 26, 2012 3:23:06 PM

rubix_1011 said:
There are a lot of new people wanting to overclock to very high levels without reading, researching or understanding what they are doing, how to get there and most of all, realistic expectations based on hardware and their own ability.

This 'just tell me what to do because I don't want to learn how on my own' thought porcess really needs to take a step back and realize that everyone with this mentality is causing a degradation in how society expects instant answers without personal contribution. Then you encounter the fact that sometimes what they are asking just isn't reasonable stirs up a pot of what they think they can and should be possible based on obscure information and not realistic, personal limitations. Temper tantrums and what appears to be self-entitlement claims, ensue.

The Internet:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll98/gcarver2006/blacksquare-17-1.jpg

Best Statement of the Year Award! ;) 
!