Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Corsair h100 question

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
January 23, 2012 2:38:03 AM

Hey, I have kind of a noob question, I'm looking to add a h100 to my next build, and was wondering if it's possible to run it with a push pull configuration of 4 fans.
Also the rad will be set on top, as an intake if it's feasible, on a Cosmos 2.

Thanks

More about : corsair h100 question

January 23, 2012 3:00:09 AM

after looking at the photos on coolermasters site i don't think there is enough space between the top of the case and the mobo to fit 4 fans on the rad. it wiill still work about the same with only 2 fans and with half the noise
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 4:18:28 AM

deadlee690 said:
after looking at the photos on coolermasters site i don't think there is enough space between the top of the case and the mobo to fit 4 fans on the rad. it wiill still work about the same with only 2 fans and with half the noise


Top side, with cover off:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/cases/rc-120...

Also wondering if I can use it as an intake or leave it as an exhaust.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 23, 2012 5:58:44 AM

I'd want it to blow air OUT of your case.
I fit 4 fans in my case, but I installed the last two fans on the inside after I installed the water block and mounted the radiator.

2 of my fans sit outside the case while the radiator and 2 fans sit inside.
I use a different case than the coolermaster case. I have a black NZXT Mid tower.
I want to mount it so that the radiator sits on the outside of the case to keep it away from the rest of the heat in the case.. Disconnecting and draining the unit seems like too much work and too much could go wrong.

With just two fans on my AMD Phenom II X2 555BE unlocked to AMD Phenom II X4 55BE @ 3.78Ghz still gets me around 28-29Degrees 61 Degrees full load
Four fans with the same setup gets me 23 Degrees idle 57on full load with Prime95
I still have room but I feel like I'm pushing my ram.
Aftermarket cooling on my NB and MOSFET so I'm not too worried there.
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 6:23:40 AM

i take back what i said, after looking at that picture i think it will fit.
m
0
l
January 23, 2012 11:28:22 AM

Yep, so having it as a top intake would not work?
I currently have an h80 as my back exhaust and it heats bad when gaming due to my new vid card throwing hot air in the case.
Usually 59c when gaming the most demanding games(otherwise it stays in the mid 40s since less demanding games dont heat up my gpus) and maybe a max load of 40% on the cpu.
m
0
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 23, 2012 8:37:12 PM

You want the coolest air possible for a radiator.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 2:36:30 PM

kedakari said:
I'd want it to blow air OUT of your case.
I fit 4 fans in my case, but I installed the last two fans on the inside after I installed the water block and mounted the radiator.

2 of my fans sit outside the case while the radiator and 2 fans sit inside.
I use a different case than the coolermaster case. I have a black NZXT Mid tower.
I want to mount it so that the radiator sits on the outside of the case to keep it away from the rest of the heat in the case.. Disconnecting and draining the unit seems like too much work and too much could go wrong.

With just two fans on my AMD Phenom II X2 555BE unlocked to AMD Phenom II X4 55BE @ 3.78Ghz still gets me around 28-29Degrees 61 Degrees full load
Four fans with the same setup gets me 23 Degrees idle 57on full load with Prime95
I still have room but I feel like I'm pushing my ram.
Aftermarket cooling on my NB and MOSFET so I'm not too worried there.

Those temps are terrible my hotter 140W C2 550BE unlocked to 4 cores at 3.7GHz only hit 59C with my old TX3 and single 90mm fan and with a 212+ (single stock 120mm fan) only hit 51C full load prime 95.
m
0
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 5:41:06 PM

Quote:
Those temps are terrible my hotter 140W C2 550BE unlocked to 4 cores at 3.7GHz only hit 59C with my old TX3 and single 90mm fan and with a 212+ (single stock 120mm fan) only hit 51C full load prime 95.


You also realize that this is highly dependent on what manufacturer chip, what release of chip and exact voltage/frequencies
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 6:59:08 PM


According to TTL there is about 50 mm from the motherboard to the top of the case.
The Corsair H100 is 27 mm thick, so you just might be able to mount it inside the case with the bottom fans, and then add fans to pull on the top of the case (under the top cover).
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
January 24, 2012 9:30:29 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
Those temps are terrible my hotter 140W C2 550BE unlocked to 4 cores at 3.7GHz only hit 59C with my old TX3 and single 90mm fan and with a 212+ (single stock 120mm fan) only hit 51C full load prime 95.


You also realize that this is highly dependent on what manufacturer chip, what release of chip and exact voltage/frequencies

Yes I do but my chip is C2 so should have a around 15% higher TPD and the Hyper TX3 a £12 cooler vs a Corsair H100. I was running at 1.5V as well so there is no way a H100 should be near equal to a £12 cooler on a hotter chip unless the room temp is 35C+ (mine was 21C).
m
0
l
a c 325 K Overclocking
January 25, 2012 1:41:03 AM

Ambient temps impact coolers in the same way and neither air or watercooling can ever go below ambient.

What most people don't account for when comparing temps from other people using a specific cooler is 'what ambient temps' are part of the equation? This is really the only way to start leveling the variables involved. If we can estimate TDP @load, ambient temps should help normalize the comparison. But yes, I agree with your theory.
m
0
l
!