CAN I USE SSD AND HDD

tonydoran

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
i WAS WONDERING COULD i USE THE SSD FOR THE OS AND HDD FOR DATA STORAGE ON THE SAME COMPUTER.WOULD THEY BOTH BE RECOGNISED?

mryoink

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Yes you can, that is the way most of us use an SSD currently. You can set the SSD ahead of the HDD in the boot order and load your OS, some main programs etc on it and use the HDD as storage.

When I do a build I install the HD only at 1st .... install the OS to the HD on a small partition at the front of the drive. Then I unplug the HD data cable and install the SSD, do the OS install to the SSD. After all is done, I reconnect the data cable.

This way if SSD install gets borked, I can always go into BIOS and tell the machine to boot off the HD instead. Normally tho, you are gonna boot of the HD .... I also put most demanding app or game onto SSD

roth79

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
Jack Im reading alot and am doing a new build now and want a SSD and HD, si there a step by step on htis for install and configuarion, for example using a proggy like excel, open program and save data to regular hard drive not the SSD?

Im confused, can you clear it up for a dumb ass...

Thans

roth79

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2005
sorry to hijack, just caught my rude ass behavior, the same shi_ I get pissed off at when following a thread, Tony and all except my apology.

R

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
just install the SSD and the OS, thatll be your boot drive, thereafter, just install the hdds and save files to them.

for example, i have a 90g ssd (wish it was a bit bigger lol) and i install all my main work programs etc...(photoshop/premiere etc...i have MANY work progs) and i SAVE ALL my files to the other HDDS so as to not take space from my ssd.

i also install ALL my games on reg HDDs aswell.