Sign in with
Your question

DVD Drive not reading DVDs but reading CDs only!!

Last response: in Storage
August 20, 2011 11:43:22 AM

Hi guys, I have this problem since a week already. My DVD drive has not read any DVDs anymore except CDs.
I tried the ''Deleting Upper Filter and Lower Filter in regedit'' method to solve it but I couldn't find any stuff is named Upper Filter or Lower Filter.
Hope you guys able to help me to solve the problem, THX
August 20, 2011 11:47:52 AM

same here dvd= sacred 2
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
August 28, 2011 8:18:39 AM

A typical DVD drive has a CD laser diode and a DVD laser diode. It could be that the latter is malfunctioning.

Here is a reference circuit diagram for a cheap DVD player:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/DVD/Cheertek/CT901A_CT...

See the pinout of the HITACHI 1200W optical pickup unit on page 3. Notice the separate pins for LD(DVD) and LD(CD).
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2011 1:47:40 PM

Ok, thanks xD
m
l
a c 103 G Storage
October 10, 2011 2:30:03 PM

Quote:
I agree to fzabkar, There are two Lazer Diode each for reading CD and DVD. The Lazer diode which reads DVD is either weak or not working. Send it to service center or call Computer Technician to get it repaired.

Would be cheaper to just buy a new drive than pay to get it replaced.
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
October 10, 2011 5:47:31 PM

Replacing the drive would be much cheaper than repairing it. In any case, I doubt that you will be able to find a replacement optical pickup unit.
m
l
March 3, 2012 3:08:43 PM

I have the same problem....but it might be to my own ignorance.....I bought a used/wiped XP desktop......it will not run DVDs.....I downloaded VLC Media Player, after realizing, doh, being wiped, maybe it needs something to allow it to read DVDs. But, even after reboot, it still doesn't work. In Win Explorer, the DVD drive still shows no contents.

I did a ton of reading, prior to realizing I might need a decoder, thinking maybe I need a new drive. But, don't want to go that route, until I'm sure.

What do I need to do, for this back to defaults, XP computer to get the DVD drive to read DVDs?

Thanks in advance.
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
March 3, 2012 7:02:05 PM

If Explorer is able to display the contents of a data CD but not a data DVD, then the optical pickup is probably faulty. The pickup has two lasers, one for reading CDs, and the other for DVDs. Their wavelengths are different.
m
l
a c 289 G Storage
March 3, 2012 8:34:56 PM

On, in the case of an old machine, might that be a CD drive?
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:14:00 AM

fzabkar said:
If Explorer is able to display the contents of a data CD but not a data DVD, then the optical pickup is probably faulty. The pickup has two lasers, one for reading CDs, and the other for DVDs. Their wavelengths are different.

I would've replied sooner, as I have mail notification enabled, but I got no emails of replies.....

Anyhow, I read in some places about the separate lasers for CDs vs DVDs, so know that's a possibility. But, if a computer is not "new" from a store, etc, is there not something you need to add to play DVDs?

I'm somewhat skeptical of it being the drive, because I bought two XP desktops off Ebay, and neither one plays DVDs in the DVD/CD combo drive. Too coincidental for me. They both play CDs in these drives fine. DVD's do nothing and show no contents in Explorer.
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
March 6, 2012 9:42:51 PM

AIUI, data DVDs should show up in Explorer, but video DVDs won't play until you install appropriate application software plus the required audio/video codecs.

In fact I have a newly built bare bones Win98SE system with a DVD writer as its only optical drive. I have installed no additional multimedia related application software. If I open Explorer, I see a video DVD containing AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories. The latter contains VOB, BUP, and IFO files.
m
l
March 6, 2012 9:53:48 PM

Ok....and these are game DVDs..so I am guessing not data DVDs...Titan Quest was the main one I tried to install. Star Wars Battlefront the other. Would not play on either.

I downloaded and installed VLC Media Player.....should that not take care of the codec? From what I read it should have. Maybe I'm just missing something? I did that and it still didn't work. Or do I still need some sort of drivers/dvd software? I know they come resident with new computers, but what do we do with these wiped ones?

m
l
a c 288 G Storage
March 8, 2012 9:03:21 PM

Game DVDs are just software/data DVDs. They should contain a file system that is recognisable by Windows.

In Explorer, if you can see the file system on a CD but not on a DVD, then AFAICS there must a physical problem with the drive.

R-click the drive's icon and select Explore. If you can see a file system, then perhaps you have some peculiar autorun issue. You could also check the Properties of the disc.

Other than that, I have no more ideas.
m
l
March 12, 2012 4:28:55 PM

fzabkar said:
Game DVDs are just software/data DVDs. They should contain a file system that is recognisable by Windows.

In Explorer, if you can see the file system on a CD but not on a DVD, then AFAICS there must a physical problem with the drive.

R-click the drive's icon and select Explore. If you can see a file system, then perhaps you have some peculiar autorun issue. You could also check the Properties of the disc.

Other than that, I have no more ideas.

I hear you there, but if it was just this one used XP computer, I'd buy in....but not when I buy two of them, from separate Ebay sellers, both wiped with Windows reinstalled, and neither reads DVDs. I'm still holding out hope there is something else I can do. I don't buy that both drives on both computers are bad.
m
l
a c 288 G Storage
March 12, 2012 6:48:26 PM

All I can suggest is to create a bootable USB drive with some flavour of DOS that includes a driver for your optical drive. Then try to perform a DIR on the DVD. That should eliminate any Windows issues.
m
l
May 27, 2014 12:09:33 AM

Eclipse95 said:
Hi guys, I have this problem since a week already. My DVD drive has not read any DVDs anymore except CDs.
I tried the ''Deleting Upper Filter and Lower Filter in regedit'' method to solve it but I couldn't find any stuff is named Upper Filter or Lower Filter.
Hope you guys able to help me to solve the problem, THX

Hello, thank you for information about "upper filter and lower filter". and Best luck ! thank you once again.
m
l
!