Best memory with a crosshair III formula?

jmv

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hi, hopefully you guys can help me out. I've been trying to figure out my system problems for a while.

Can you recommend to me what would be the best memory for a Crosshair III forumula board, with a PII 965 BE?? I'm looking for the most compatability and speed that I can get with a budget limit of $175. Asus' compatible memory list seems not to have much of what i'm looking for... for example, lots of 3x2gb setups, not many 1600mhz modules supported, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-Jason

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

If you want the best (and the most expensive one), go for Corsair:

http://www.corsair.com/configurato [...] id=1048893

Sorry, your opinion is valid. But that RAM is CL9, is not good. More expensive doesn't mean the best.

@OP

With your budget, you can get this Mushkin 1600 CL6, is the best RAM that you can get.

These are another options for you.

1- G.Skill ECO1333 CL7 low voltage.
2- G.Skill 1333 CL7
3- Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1333 CL7

Now, choose the best for your and your budget.

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

In that page He has the complete list of the Corsair memory which is compatible with his mobo. My choice was the CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24-2T 1,65V.

And, with no doubt, the best memory brand is CORSAIR by far. Perdóneme usted...

Lutfij

Titan
CL6 has a much tighter timing than the CL8 - @ OP you do the math - choose the one which is lowest. I know that the g.skills are a little cheaper than any ram out there and are available in the states.

apart from the ones mentioned - i'd suggest getting OCZ modules

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227496&Tpk=OCZ%20DDR3%20amd - CL8

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227297 - CL7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227478 - CL7

since you own a crosshair III formula - get the 1333 Mhz and overclock to the bus you want - i read in a forum up at overclockers.net that they all have a 1333 setup in dual channel - 4GB stable and awesome.

jmv

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Well, i have corsair dominator, part# CMD4GX3M2B1600C8. Its listed as supported by corsair, although its not listed as supported by asus (I think their list is old, I can't find the one set of corsair 1600Mhz memory asus lists). I have gotten memOK to get the system to post a few times, but only once was I able to get to BIOS. It either can't find a memory setup that works for it, or it gets stuck on CPU CHECK. Maybe I have bad memory? Or something else?

jmv

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
One stick will post by itself, the other will not. I need to RMA them.

I got all excited because the person on the phone at Fry's said that they had some in stock, so I would be able to just return the memory to newegg and buy new stuff from Fry's, with no wait time. But they lied.

Also, can anyone tell me exactly what the differences are between the "A" and "B" (or "intel" and "amd") versions? Corsairs site says that my motherboard will support both, and the "A" version seems like it is about $50 cheaper....

Thanks for the help so far guys.

BTW, saint19, that mushkin CL6 RAM has awesome timings, but is there any way to know how friendly it will be with my motherboard?? I am sick of things not cooperating together and compatability is very important to me.

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 = for use with AMD Dual Channel DDR3 systems Black Edition Memory Profile (BEMP). This model has the newer DHX+ heat spreader.

CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 = for use with Dual Channel DDR3 Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors (but Corsair says that it is compatible with your mobo too).

There's no reason they wouldn't work in any dual channel platform regardless of version.

Anyway, the way BEMP works is that AMD OverDrive will read the hex string of the memory part number from the SPD and cross-check with a dedicated server hosted by AMD for any profiles corresponding to the particular part number. If there is a match, the system will download the profile in XML format which is then read by AOD and allows updating of the memory settings "in software" which, in most cases, will require a reboot upon which the new frequency and timing parameters are loaded.
In essence, it is the same thing as what nVidia has been pushing with their EPP and Intel with their XMP profiles.

So basically all you should need is the right CPU and AMD's Overdrive software to use BEMP. The profile will only load if it detects that you have a black edition CPU.

If you plan to set the timings and voltage yourself (manually) and you don't care about pre-set timings, buy the cheapest one (A version).

Well I can't tell you anything sure, because the only Mushkin 1600 that is on the QVL list is the Backline (CL9) that isn't good in performance.

But I think that you would not have problems with that RAM an your mobo, since your mobo is one of the best for AMD that exist in this moment.

jmv

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
There is actually another mushkin on the list, 996657, which is 7-7-7-20, but apparently its not made anymore?? The only place I can find it is one retailer through amazon who is asking $250.... no thanks.

I'd really love to go with that Mushkin CL6 memory, however I can't seem to register on their forums to ask about compatibility. Is there any other way to check??

What do you guys think, mushkin, or just replace my corsair??