SoulReaperZA

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Hey Guys

Hope you can advise me..

I'm building a new system and it is almost complete. Im just waiting for the CPU & GFX. Would like to know whether my PSU would be able to handle the setup, and whether I can overclock.

The Specs are as Follows:

PSU: Gigabyte Odin 585W
Mobo: Intel DP45SG (Skyberg)
CPU: Intel C2Q9550 2.83GHz (95w TDP)
Ram: Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 4Gb (2x2Gb)
HHD: 2xSeagate 500Gb (Raid)
1x Dvd Combo Drive
2x 12cm Fans.
Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900NT (12cmx1)
4xUsb Devices.
And the GFX is a single Club3D ATI 4890 1GB, STD edition.

In the future I might add another GFX card, coz the board supports full PCIe 16x/16x for crossfireX.. But this is not important now.

The GFX website just quotes the power usage from AMD's website, which is rated in Watt, which is useless to me. Im not sure how much the GFX will pull. I also want to up my CPU to 3.4GHz.
<<Soz for my bad english, 2nd language>>

Please Help me.
The PSU calculator I used said I need about 353w constant supply.

For 2 4890s we generally recommend a good 750 watt PSU such as one from corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec, or OCZ. There are other good ones out there as well, especially since you are overseas and your options may not be as abundant as in the US.

SoulReaperZA

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009

Thx for the 4890 TDP link..Most 4890 card manufactuers' TDP's would be in that range? Except when the cards are overclocked I assume...

Any idea whether my HHD's would pull alot? (this is my first raid setup, and logic tells me that the drives would be working slightly harder than 2 independant drives)

Thx again.

SoulReaperZA

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009

Thx for the reply. Luckily in South Africa we get most brands..incl Corsair & OCZ & Antec. I'll buy in January. The Corsair 700w Whisperer (or sumthing) looks like a sturdy model and it's not that expensive here relative to other PSU's. By that time the 4890 would be VERY cheap I guess, but then I'll prolly want a single 5870. (I don't really trust any sli or crossfire yet. I like raw strenght from a single card)

Thx

SoulReaperZA

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009

I usually order from take2.co.za or Landmarkpc.co.za or prophecy.co.za. All good vendors.. Plus take2's returns system worked efficiently for me in the past. I just told them that my ram has a collision (which it had, amd780 chipset with OCZ overclocked ram--> No No) and the swapped it for the corsair listed above.

Thx guys,,

SoulReaperZA

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009

Jeez dude thanks for the Ikonicit weblink.. the are way cheaper than take2 and the site seems stable.. Could have saved R300 on my chip if I knew they existed..

Thanks.. will try them out..