Graphics Driver Installation Error

Sniper_Charlie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I have a 4890 1gb card and read great reviews on it. But the drivers wont install like they use to. I use to have a 3870 x2, and kept getting an Error 43 code :fou: .

Whats happening is I uninstall the driver with control panel, restart, I clean with CCleaner, even DriverCleaner Pro, restart again, and install the full driver from amd.com. As its trying to install the driver, it takes forever, sometimes the screen flashes, and I hear the sound as if a new item plugged in, then unplugged then plugged in, it all ends with everything installing except the graphics driver.

I read the install report and it says there was an error installing the graphics driver. When I reboot, I get the ATI error that no graphics device was found, I go to Device Manager, see that windows sees a device, with error code 43.

My only way to ever install is to install CCC, and MANUALLY install the graphics driver by goint to device manager, update driver and then finally selecting the folder its in. This gets old and very lame :pt1cable: .

I use to have no problems installing, it read the driver, installed, and I was ready, now I have a few extra steps. Even dxdiag is reading my card as a 3800 series and I have a 4890!

Has anyone had this with a fix, solution? Am I doomed? Help!!

Specs Below

Windows Vista Home Premium
Asus P5B Delux Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2.4ghz-1066 fsb, 4mb cache
Zalman Ultra Quiet Heatsink w/ Fan.
(x2) 1gb of Geil pc6400 800mhz, 5-5-5-15
Thermaltake TP650w ATX PSU, VisionTek 450w PSU Adapter
74gb WD Raptor 10,000 RPM
(x2) 150gb WD Raptor 10,000 RPM
Razer Lachesis Gaming Mouse, Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard
Red Samsung SyncMaster T220 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor
BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Card
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music w/ 7.1 Creative Inspire T7700 speakers
ATI - XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB Graphics Card

killjoy69

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I'm not sure this could help you but...you can always check in your bios settings,since for my computer when putting SLI (dind;t do it yet) you have to enable it in the BIOS,something like that...Since you had 2x3870,maybe they are still in the bios. Anyways I am not sure,but you can always check your BIOS settings...