Status
Not open for further replies.

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
This may be a silly question.. I recently build a new rig with cooler master elite 335 Casing.. It includes 120mm rear fan.. So i am going to buy 1 or 2 more 120mm fans and there are four places to place them..

1 x front ( near the hdd )
2 x side panel ( 1 in front of cpu and 1 for GPU )
1 x bottom

My questions are

1. if i bought only one ( or two ) where should i place them from above places?
2. what kind of fans should i use for this four places? ( exhaust or intake ) ?

Thanks all..

Solution
As heat rises you'll want cold air coming in from the bottom and front of the case (intake), then you'll want the warm air to be exhausted via the top and back of the case. (exhaust) This will be the most effective cooling configuration.

So to clarify Front and bottom = Intake, Rear/Top = Exhaust.

If you want to add fans to the side panel I would have them as intake fans so there blowing cold air over your CPU/GPU, the air will then heat up and rise out of the top of the case.

:)
As heat rises you'll want cold air coming in from the bottom and front of the case (intake), then you'll want the warm air to be exhausted via the top and back of the case. (exhaust) This will be the most effective cooling configuration.

So to clarify Front and bottom = Intake, Rear/Top = Exhaust.

If you want to add fans to the side panel I would have them as intake fans so there blowing cold air over your CPU/GPU, the air will then heat up and rise out of the top of the case.

:)

Solution

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Confused.. :O Casing includes a rear exhaust fan.. So if i connect intake fans in front, bottom and side panels, there will be 3 intake fans. So there will be more intake fans than exhaust fans? What should i do?

Its just mean that your case will have positive air pressure and air will be pushed out of any ventilation holes in your case... there might be some heat build up though, thats why negative air pressure can be better, but will bring in more dust...

brianmz

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

+1, just get these fans they are awesome:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AVMRPM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2EUTVCJXLAJ4K

And buy 120mm dust filters like these to prevent dust from building up too fast:

http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-120mm-Filter-Grill-FF121B/dp/B0036WTDHK/ref=pd_bxgy__img_b

You could also get quieter fans which move less air. Its up to you, I prefer better cooling over silence, as long as it's not bothersome.

If you can get for it would be for the best, otherwise I would personally go 1 front and 1 for the GPU.

lakshitharxx

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for that dust filter thing idea.. I didn't know about it.. :) Now i am trying to find them in a local shop.. I already have 1 exhaust fan so i thought to buy 2 intake fans + 2 dust filters.. (to side panel).. Is it a good?

Status
Not open for further replies.