Help! Pinpointing failing components?

Jezebel

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Hi guys,

I've got this problem for over 3 months now which I thought was minor at first but now I'm afraid it's going to break some of my other hardware pieces.. My computer goes to sleep mode when it stays idle for a little while like most others do I suppose; problem is, at some point during that process it shuts down and tries to restart on its own, but it does it over and over and over again (You can hear the fans opening up as when you open your computer, then everything shuts down, and it restarts the process again..) until I just close down the power, wait a few seconds then restart power and reopen the computer normally.. It'll give me the little "Windows was closed improperly last time" or something then I just choose restart Windows Normally and it'll come back to the windows screen as if my computer went into sleep mode (User: xxx Locked in windows 7, then I just log in normally).. I suspect it's a hardware problem and one component is failing but I have no idea what it could be and I don't want to start replacing pieces one by one randomly..

More recently, the computer started giving me blue screens of death (yes on Windows 7, I thought those were gone!) randomly (maybe when it's thinking a little too hard?) but that doesn't trigger the repeated sequence mentioned above, it just crashes and restart on its own.. The repeated restarts only are triggered by the sleep mode process if I'm not mistaken..

I'm afraid it's a problem with the power supply and that it might cost problems with the other components eventually, on top of being extremely annoying when I fall asleep with the computer on still and then I get awaken in the middle of the night by the noise of the stupid fan restarting over and over again..

Can you guys help me? Any idea what the problem could be?

Thank you so much in advance.
Sincerely!

Jezebel

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
These are my current components, if that can help at all..

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz Wolfdale 6MB 1333FSB 45nm
CPU Cooling OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler-MIR
Overclock Enable Overclock Function (CPU Stable Overclocking Service - Free of charge)
Memory 1 OCZ Plat XTC 4GB Kit DDR2 800MHz (OCZ2P8004GK)-MIR
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L (4DDR2,PCI-E 2.0)
Hard Drive 1 Seagate 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATA (ST3500320AS)
Video Palit Radeon HD 4870 512MB DDR5
Audio Onboard Audio
Network Card Onboard Network Card
Case Antec Three Hundred The Versatile Gamer Case (Black)
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream Power Supply (NVIDIA SLI-Ready) 600W - (OCZ600GXSSLI)
Warranty 1 Year Parts & 3 Years Labor Warranty

Atranox

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
It's impossible to determine just from what you've said, but to me it sounds like a power supply issue.

I'm not too familiar with OCZ units, but the 600W PSU that you have has some very bad reviews on NewEgg. It has 5 reviews, and all gave it the lowest possible score due to it failing.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
considering the cpu cooler, use cpuz or go to system properties and confirm there is no overclock.

Get HWMonitor and check cpu temperatures.

I also have the same OCZ PSU, looked great at first but... Not satisfied with it.
the fan makes noise after 5 months and I hear an electric high pitch noise...
(correction I have the OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS) But OCZ does not impress me at all.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
The standby(sleepmode) thing sounds like its not a hardware problem. It sounds like a problem with standby. Simple solution is don't use sleepmode/standby. Go into power options and change the settings.

The bluescreens should be unrelated. They are usually driver problems and they started recently as apposed to the 3 month old problem. Check your drivers. Install all the latest drivers for your hw and the corresponding OS.

Also get rid of the overclock thing you had listed in your specs.

Jezebel

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008

When I go to system properties, under Processor, that's what I get:

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16 GHz 3.80 GHz

I'd assume the 3.8 means its overclocked? How do I remove that? And does that really affect the problem above?

Jezebel

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I also checked PC Health status in BIOS, they were all disabled, so no shutdowns due to temperature nor part failures were made.. as far as temperature goes.. I'm using Everest Ultimate, thats the temperatures I have at the moment..

Temp Mobo: 37
Temp CPU: 24
Temp CPU Core#1: 34
Temp CPU Core#2: 34
Temp GPU Diode (DispIO): 67
Temp GPU Diode (MemIO): 80
Temp GPU Diode (Shader): 73
Temp GPU VRM: 59
Temp Hard drive: 29
Cooling Fan CPU: 1.1
Cooling Fan GPU: 0.8
Voltage CPU Core: 1..3

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Temp in bios will always be low as the cpu is pretty much sleeping.

I am curious as of what this crap is
"Overclock Enable Overclock Function (CPU Stable Overclocking Service - Free of charge)"

if it's a software controlled overclock, uninstall it.

Jezebel

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I bought my computer from a store that builds clones, it was the best value I could get for the price.. all those retailers that give you prebuilt PCs rip you off.. so I went there and they had that "service" they would do for free which was to overclock the computer slightly to improve performance while still keeping the computer very stable according to them.. I don't really know how to revert that though, if that becomes necessary..

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
In this case it's done in the bios.
If you look around you should find it... most probably under Jumper Free configuration.

If you set it to Auto, you will have the stock speeds.

However your cpu does overclock fairly well and it may not really be the issue so if you wish you can take note of what they did... still worth to do a test under factory default settings.

I agree, not only prebuilt pc's are a ripoff but the hardware is such low end trash it makes me want to strangle kittens... but they do occasionally have fair prices for those old people who only use it too look at the stock market.

I Sell "Clones" and I must admit sometimes I have a hard time matching a futureshop sold compaq PC when it comes to Price with included Windows License unless I truly put an effort into making a really really shitty pc...

As for "Clones" (I hate that term) It's also dangerous as some people don't know what they are doing, others can be greedy and look for too much profit... the best is either to learn or to have a friend in I.T. who is willing to take the time.

Jezebel

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Ok, that being done.. The same problem still occurs.. any idea how I could deal with it? Or the only way would be to invest and start replacing pieces semi-randomly?