Smoka70

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hi, can it damage my HD6850 if I turn up GPU & Memory clock speeds in AMD Vision Engine Control Centre?
Thanks in advance....

Lokster1

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
If the temps get to high you can damage your GPU, the usually safe temp range is anywhere below 80C, 80-90 is ok but not recommended and over 90 will most likely reduce the life of your card.

You will probably have to adjust your voltage to get higher STABLE speeds, which will increase your temp.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Generally the settings are pretty conservative, try them out, if you notice any strange fragments or anything odd visually just change it back, you wont do damage on stock voltage most likely, keep an eye on the temps.

Download GPU-Z :)

Smoka70

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Ahh thats good news thanks I've been running the clocks at (GPU)985Mhz & (Memory) 1090Mhz with fan on 100%. I run CPUID HWMonitor Pro & my highest temp (running BF3 Ultra/High mix for 3hrs+) is 57C. I wont be increasing voltages as I haven't got a clue how to lol. Plus I figured that as my card runs all the games I play with ease then there is no need.
Thanks again Lokster +1
OK thanks Joe I'll have a look at GPU-Z +1

Sounds like you're ok, but you should make sure to run some tests for stability.

57C is a very nice low temp. You should reduce your fan speed to maybe 70-80% for both less noise and increased longevity. The fans should run for a long time at full speed, but there's just not any reason to when your temps are that low.

GPUs are good up to 90C, higher than that you want to start worrying.

You can also peruse this article at your leisure: http://wolframpc.blogspot.com/2012/01/graphics-card-overclocking.html

Smoka70

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks Wolfram23,
Just had a quick look at your blog, very ineresting (will study it further when kids in bed lol).
+ 1 to you too man :p