Worth getting a Physics card?

gtf6

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Have a 9800GTX+ with t-rad2, and overclocked to absolute max. Would adding a 9800GTX be of any benifit for physics? Can't use SLi. I play at 1920x1200, and CPU is QX9650 @ 4.0GHz.
Thanks.
P.S. How hot would the 9800GTX get for physics? I know the stock cooler is fairly loud, and my PC is pretty quiet, would it be running hot enough to be noisey? (i got good airflow).

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007

Like to torture yourself with the inferior cards? :p

On topic - if you cant use SLI, how will you add another 9800GTX? Even if you have SLI motherboard, I dont see much point in card specifically for PhysiX, unless you're die-hard fan of the few games its used much, nonetheless within a year PhysiX will die anyway IMO.

markos1990

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
why not? unless you're runnig games with physx support I also recommend you getting a 5870/5850
if you don't like ati cards well you should get a gtx275 or a gtx260 or something like that...the 9800gtx+ is a decent card but for using games with physx you may need to lower details or resolution a little bit
if you tell us(if you want of course) why you don't want a card like that in your rig we could give you better advices to help you decide what to do

TheViper

Distinguished

The fan is strong in this boy.

You'd do well both financially and from a experience viewpoint to consider ATi cards. As it stands right now, nVidia simply isn't in a position to compete with ATi. Maybe they will with the 300 series but as of today, ATi has every price point covered by a better product.

TRENDING THREADS