Running external drive with different OS version

ninewinters

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Hello, I'm thinking about using and older hard drive which has windows Vista 32 bit plus varying compatible programs installed upon it that do not work with my newer Vista 64 bit system. SO I uninstalled from the broken cpu and will use an enclosure and hopefully hook (via usb or firewire)up to the new(er) computer. Will I have a problem as far as booting or anything. And will the 32bit OS be able to run my programs, etc. If I assign a drive name etc, will the external drive run like a partition? Any booting advice, pitfalls or warnings or tips? Thanks!

ninewinters

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
My reason for even wanting to do this is, the 64bit vista won't run my adobe photoshop, and that is messed up! Can't justify paying for newer photoshop when I am proficient on this version plus it is so expensive. So.. I was using it on the other system, thus the handy old hd! But I don't want to make a mess of the new computer, as other people need to use it. Thought I'd just hook it up when I need it. Thanks again :)

ninewinters

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Oh.. one more idea. I was considering a separate partition on the new system where i wonder if i could install the 32 bit OS. How hard could that be? New system has great graphics card and monitor and lots of RAM, drive space, fast processor, etc.