Is an HTPC for me??

vincent2722

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Hi Guys,

I've searched all over and found some older convos about this topic, but nothing really staright to the point of my newb question.

I thinking about building an HTPC and running my Comcast cable through it. Main objective is to be able to record to PC, but I'd like to use it as my primary viewing device too. My question is:

Is it possible to get all, or most, of the channels I get through my Comcast STB, through an HTPC? I will still have a STB of course, but I'm wondering if I could build a system that would kind of replace the STB as far as interface goes.

After reading the other forums, it sounds like I can only get a handful of channels to watch and record directly through a custom built HTPC. Is this true?

I would probably run Vista Home Premium or Windows 7 Premium on the new system, and have a somewhat healthy budget for a TV Tunder card. Any advice or suggestions (including alternative options) would be really helpful before I go an dish out the cash for this stuff. Just would love to have a custom system that I could use to watch TV and not lose any non-premium channels that I would normally recieve through a STB. Right now, I get pretty much all the channels except the premium movie channels (HBO, Showtime etc.)

P.S. I would like to view in HD, but recording in HD is not absolutely required if its complicated.

Sorry if my questions are bit too newb to even ask, I'm just totally new when it comes to the HTPC thing. I am fairly literate when it comes to building custom PCs though. Thanks in advance!

Vincent

you don't need a tv tuner for cable, you need a cableCard tuner, though good luck finding one as until pretty recently this wasn't doable for home users

though there is a company called Ceton which is releasing a dual, quad, and hex cableCard tuner

just start doing some research (aka google/ebay) to find a cablecard tuner

vincent2722

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions, mindless! I'll definitely keep an eye on those to see what happens. Any experience with pairing an HTPC and STB? Is it possible to completely use an HTPC to watch you cable, and not have to switch back and forth between inputs to watch the channels you want?

Thanks