Status
Not open for further replies.

6_5x47lapua

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I know about the issues with mixing Alu and Cu, but what about other metals like brass and nickel interacting with copper?

whats the worst case senario of having say, a nickel (plated) gpu block, brass cpu block, and a copper rad?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
For the record, most rads are copper and have brass solder/brazing- most fittings are brass and then plated. All high-quality watercooling components should be aluminum free, so just make sure you check if ever thinking of using components that seem sketchy...or just avoid. Thermaltake was guilty of having aluminum tubed rads as well as components with aluminum fittings (TT Bigwater components, for instance). Zalman also likes to use anodized aluminum in their gear as well.

6_5x47lapua

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Ok thanks for the tip. so far, loop consists of danger den and ekwb, so should have no troubles there. what is your opinion on Enzotech? I'm considering their black compression fittings.

also does nickel plating extend into the channels, and therefore stop copper oxidation, or just outside surface? i plan to paint my block so looks don't matter.

G

By now those liquid cooling manufacturers should know about mixing metals. So it's pretty safe to assume that if you're buying quality liquid cooling blocks that it's safe.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
But it's still an issue, so you can't just work under this assumption. However, this has more to do with radiators and fittings than actual blocks- blocks typically aren't the issue, unless it has to do with integrated fittings or components ON the blocks. Almost always, it has to do with fittings, couplers or radiator components that are aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.