Sign in with
Your question

Memtest86 wont come out of memory

Last response: in Motherboards
March 31, 2010 5:16:45 PM

Hello,

I'm going to cut to the chase: memtest86 has taken over my wife's PC! The CD-ROM isn't loaded in the tray, but the system is still rebooting to memtest86, even after the power has been off and the RAM physically removed. It's as though it installed itself in some non-volatile RAM somewhere ... HELP!

Now back to why I was running memtest86 in the first place:

I recently replaced the motherboard in my wife's computer with a Biostar TA790GXE running an Athlon II X2 245 processor. Vista has been giving frequent BSODs, so I burned a memtest86 boot CD-ROM and booted from it ... I have 2 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM that I bought with all this new stuff. I did not have the overclocking on the motherboard running, but have since discovered that ECC isn't activated unless you go into manual overclock mode, and I went manual in order to slow the addressing of the memory down.

I'm still getting errors even with every safeguard the BIOS can give me, so I think I'm going to have to take the memory back to CompUSA.

Meantime, I'd like to know how to break memtest86's iron grip on my wife's system.

More about : memtest86 wont memory

a c 229 V Motherboard
April 1, 2010 12:19:30 AM

Doesn't that Biostar motherboard have memtest86 in the BIOS? If so, did you disable it?
m
l
April 1, 2010 4:02:18 PM

memtest86 got into the BIOS when I loaded it ... the problem is solved because I cleared out the BIOS ... which I did not know to do until a friend told me. As for the memory problem ... it was a bad DDR2 module ... I exchanged it at CompUSA and the system is running like a champ even overclocked to V8 speed (had to back down from V12 due to system freezes).
m
l
!