Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Core i7 860 Core Temperatures

Last response: in CPUs
December 28, 2009 6:53:41 PM

I just built my Core i7 rig the other day, and was a bit worried by the difference in core temperatures. Right now it is at stock speeds, but I do plan to overclock, once i sort my problem out. At idle, the temperatures of each core is (in degrees celcius): 19 20 27 19. Cores 0, 1, 3 seems fine, as they are very close. But core 2 worries me as it is about 7 degrees higher then all the other cores? Is this normal for my core i7 or is something wrong with my chip? Or did i seat the heatsink wrong, or put the wrong amount of thermal paste? My previous rig with a Q6600 did not have this problem, and I was using the same heatsink. Please let me know what you think?

My rig:

Core i7 860
Asus P7P55D Deluxe
2 x 2GB OCZ Low Voltage PC12800
Cooler Master V8 with Arctic Silver 5
Cooler Master HAF 932
Western Digital Velociraptor 160GB
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2009 7:07:26 PM

enchantedplague said:
I just built my Core i7 rig the other day, and was a bit worried by the difference in core temperatures. Right now it is at stock speeds, but I do plan to overclock, once i sort my problem out. At idle, the temperatures of each core is (in degrees celcius): 19 20 27 19. Cores 0, 1, 3 seems fine, as they are very close. But core 2 worries me as it is about 7 degrees higher then all the other cores? Is this normal for my core i7 or is something wrong with my chip? Or did i seat the heatsink wrong, or put the wrong amount of thermal paste? My previous rig with a Q6600 did not have this problem, and I was using the same heatsink. Please let me know what you think?

My rig:

Core i7 860
Asus P7P55D Deluxe
2 x 2GB OCZ Low Voltage PC12800
Cooler Master V8 with Arctic Silver 5
Cooler Master HAF 932
Western Digital Velociraptor 160GB

What's the temperatures at full load when running Prime95?

It is DEFINITELY fine if their temperatures are very close at full load.

Quote:
I have a dual core CPU and one of its core is always at 35C given any temperature under that and will read any temperature above 35C correctly

If the temperature difference at full load is still 7C, then it's either due to a bad temperature sensor on that core or bad core itself.

Quote:
BTW, I have seen a lot of LGA1156 CPUs having the same problem and so it's more likely due to the bad temperature sensor.

However, do RMA it if possible. BTW, my i5's highest core temp is always 5-6C higher than the lowest core temp.

Score
December 28, 2009 8:03:10 PM

I just did a stress test using prime95 and the load temps are as follows (in degrees celcius): 52 50 52 52. This numbers are much closer then the idle temperatures. Also, 19 degrees is very cool for a cpu on air, could it be that the sensor is broken and core 2 cant be read under 27 degrees? Do you still thinks it is worth RMAing it, as it seems to perform alright? Also, how are these temperatures for my stock core i7 860?
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2009 8:14:35 PM

enchantedplague said:
I just did a stress test using prime95 and the load temps are as follows (in degrees celcius): 52 50 52 52. This numbers are much closer then the idle temperatures. Also, 19 degrees is very cool for a cpu on air, could it be that the sensor is broken and core 2 cant be read under 27 degrees? Do you still thinks it is worth RMAing it, as it seems to perform alright? Also, how are these temperatures for my stock core i7 860?

No, your CPU is absolutely fine and so I wouldn't waste time in RMA it if I were you.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2009 8:40:06 PM

There's a good chance that the reason 1 core is higher than the others at idle is that it's the core that's active and which is handling interrupts and whatever little activity there is (such as measuring and showing you the temperatures).
Score
December 29, 2009 5:07:06 PM

Thanks for all your reply's. I think im just going to leave it as is. Not bother reseting the heatsink or anything. Im almost 100% that there is nothing wrong with my CPU. Ill now try and see how well this thing overclocks. Hopefully it doesn't heat up to much!
Score
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2009 5:39:27 PM

No worries here. My i5-750 shows different temps between Core 0 and Core 1, 2, 3. There's about a 5C difference between Core 0 and the others at idle and 100% load with Prime 95. From other threads I've seen it seems this might be fairly normal actual with the i5 anyhow.

Someone theorized as to whether Intel set one core higher in order to force thermal throttling before the other cores got too hot. Interesting that your variation was on Core 2.

Since your Prime95 temps are within 2C of one another I don't think you have any issues to worry about at all. I know with the old C2Duo and C2Quad CPUs there was a tendency for some cores to sort of "stick" on the way down in temp, and they became less accurate or woudn't go below a certain temp in some cases.
Score
February 26, 2010 1:45:32 AM

Using Prime95, in-place large FFTs, 8 threads, 100% CPU per Task Manager, my i7 860 showed 44, 39, 42, 42. Core 0 seems to be at 4-6 (mostly 5) degrees higher than core 2.

Is this normal?

Thanks...
Score
December 13, 2010 1:08:47 AM

Old thread, I know, but I came across it searching for similar insight. And, I have pretty much the same kind of results: core 2 is, thus far, consistently 5 degrees or so higher than the average of the other 3 cores. Of course, I am envious of the original poster's idle temps: mine are 30-32 + that 36 degree outlier on core 2 :p 
Score
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2010 11:08:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!