hemphill

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I have just switched over from Windows 7 ultimate 32 to Windows 7 ultimate 64. After I swapped over, with the four (4) gb of ddr2800 I was using, the system booted up with the quickness. However, I installed four (4) more gb of the same stuff and the system wouldn't even get to the bois screen. So I took out one of the modules and tried with six (6) gb onboard. The system booted fine. I then put the 4th module back in and was able to get a half-ass boot that ended in bsod. Finally, after being able to get to the bios, I tried to up the NB voltage a hair. No good. Ended up having to reset the CMOS.

After repeating the steps up to the successful entry into the bios with 8gb onboard, I nudged the DRAM voltage+ .30v. Now everything boots up and that but slower. I mean, it went from BOOM!--booted, "welcome to windows!" to "yeah, yeah, I'll be there in a minute!"

So, I'm wondering 1) why would the system do fine on 6gb with no voltage increase on the memory but require a .30v boost for the 4th module? and 2) will my modules survive at 2.08v when they are rated for 1.8v (xms26400)? and, Finally 3) why would I be booting so slow? (I'm thinking maybe the extra modules make the "road" longer, but I wouldn't think it would double the boot time).

Thanks for any feedback

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
Intel E8400
MSI gtx275
WD 640gb
TP43D2-A7 (Biostar)
8gb (TWIN2X409664005C x2; Corsair)
Sigma 750watt

see above

hemphill

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
(mister g) each stick is 2gb, so just taking out one left 3 2GB sticks in place. But thank you kindly for your response and the information. (treefrog07) I tweaked the system a bit and bumped up the clock a bit and the boot sequence happens at least a little faster now. Once going, it's rather snappy. Thanks to you also for your feedback.

hemphill

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Found some balance. I inquired of Corsair answers to the questions I posed here. The tech was a little slow getting to my inquiry, but once I started receiveing communication from him, his further responses were very prompt (which surprised the hell out of me, to be honest). Anyway, he said that boosting the voltage that much would surely void the warranty, should they fail as a result and that the voltage should not exceed 1.9v.
I had read some time ago that sometimes it helps to reduce the RAM speed in order to gain compatibility. So, prior to receiving the first response to Corsair's tech, I dropped from DDR2800 to 667 which, given I have 1333 fsb, put me at 1:1 (which I have read is optimal; still learning here). As a result, I was able to lower the voltage and boot fine. From there, I oc'd my processor to 3.4 which put my memory running at 758mhz with a +.10v overvoltage on the memory.
At the rated timings of 5-5-5-18, the thing was sluggish (I suppose that's reasonable considering I'm not running at 800) so I adjusted the timings to 4-4-4-13 and it runs like a scalded dog and very stable. I have run the latest version of memtest and a couple burnin programs extensively with no bsod as of yet. I have fast boot, fast everything else, no heat problems and every game I've tried runs seamlessly with all settings maxed to the heavens. The Corsair tech said that I did what he was going to suggest anyway but to loosen the timings if I ran into trouble. Win-win situation.
Again, thanks to each of you for your information and feedback :)

Horace