Asus P5Q Pro Turbo MB Hangs on Boot Without PS2 KB Attached

kenwood850

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I upgraded my Slackware server to an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo motherboard. During the testing and configuration phase all went well, but after I put it back in service it hung on a scheduled reboot. Subsequent troubleshooting revealed that it would hang whenever it was rebooted without the PS2 keyboard attached. Since this is a server that doesn't need any direct contact it sits in a remote area with no keyboard or mouse attached, it only has the power cord and LAN cable attached.

Has anyone else run into this and found a solution that would allow it to boot without a PS2 keyboard. I tried disabling the "F1" prompt on a boot error but that had no effect.

As an aside, I also posted this in the Asus MB forum but it took almost 15 minutes to do so, and when I went back to see if there had been a response, I was still waiting for the for the page with a possible response to load 10 minutes later. I gave up in frustration. Their forum site response is really pathetic. If they put half the effort into the forum site as they do their sales site, it might be useful.

kenwood850

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you. I wanted to recheck the BIOS to make sure I had not missed anything and I have to pick and choose when I can take the server down. There is nothing in the BIOS that I could find that would stop the PS2 check. The funny thing is that in this day and age a lot, if not most, people use USB keyboards so you wouldn't think that a missing PS2 keyboard would be a problem. Perhaps it checks both USB and PS2 and halts if they are both missing.

Yes, I could, and am, leaving a PS2 keyboard attached but it adds unnecessary clutter and it seems like a poor way of doing things. I really wish there was another work around.

Thank for taking the time to reply.