P8Z68V-PRO overclocking problem

Pedro Caruso

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I just bought a P8z68v-pro mobo, because I thought I had an user friendly overclocking with the tpu swith or the auto overclocking option on the bios ezmode or with the ai suite auto tuning feature, but none of this things work out for me!
If I turn of the TPU switch the computer doesn't turns on, if I use the oc option on the ez mode it crashes if I try the ai suite auto tuning it also crashes during the process, I'm using an i5-2500k

hope I can get it fixed because I live in Brazil and I bought it in the US so I can't just RMA it

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Well it still works fine with the switches off right?
I wouldn't recommend auto-overclocking, it dosnt always work (as you know) and it often applies high voltages that aren't needed. If you are going to overclock, take time and make it a project. However, a 2500k is a very strong, fast cpu, and you probably wont see much difference overclocking it. Consider if its worth it. (I'm saying this because I killed my first 2500k via overclocking.)

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

ASUS have International warranty, so, you can use the RMA in your country. Just contact to ASUS and ask for the step to do it.

Ohh yeah, I know that because I¡m from Colombia and my current Maximus IV Gene-z/GEN3 was bought on USA and registered here.

True.

True. Learn to use the BIOS. Overclocking AMD BE's and Intel K's is pretty simple. That is not the same as "easy", though. You still need a pretty good idea of what you are doing.

True.

:lol: :lol: :lol: The difference between the stock speed and all 4 cores running at, say, 4.5 - 5.0 GHz is ... significant.

What did you do wrong?

I have been overclocking for a while (well, since 1978 :)) and I have never killed a CPU.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

:) Well I dont really know exactly. I:
1. Set target clock (4.5ghz) via all 4 core multiplier for turbo mode.
2. Enabled PLL overvolt, LLC really high, all that good stuff.
3. Set vCore high (not offset)
4. Worked my way down to 1.3 volts stable @4.5ghz. (stock voltage=1.2) @60 degrees max

Left it for a week, then decided my temps were a little too high, so I bumped it down to 1.29v hoping to see how far down I could go. (I had never gone lower than 1.3.)
But as I save changes and restart, the bios screen hangs, so I restart via button, then it Posts and says CPU temp error, I reach behind my comp and REALLY hot air is coming out the back, I pull the plug, pray from 10 minutes, and start up the computer, at which point the cpu was dead and I cursed the world.

:) I still dont know what it was, Im at stock ghz now, I read somewhere that the mobo LLC could have compensated too much?

Pedro Caruso

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it works just fine with the switch off, but I kinda woried beacuse I stupdly killed my gpu when flashing it into a 6970 because I was very sleepy at the time and I did it wrong, I don't want to have another loss

brianmz

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Overclock from the bios, 4.5ghz should be a vcore of about 1.35, give or take a bit, if you can do it with offset or constant voltage.
You can try it at that vcore and see if it's stable, then gradually lower it, until it isn't so you can find the right voltage for it.

I tried the auto overclock of the asus deluxe, and gave me voltages that where too high...
I have my i7 2600k oced to 4.7ghz at a vcore of 1.352 according to cpu z.
With auto oc, it was 4.6ghz at a vcore of 1.4...lol

Also: What error do you get when your computer crashes?

steadywaters

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
Funky.

Just to get a better picture:

What CPU cooler are you using? Did you use aftermarket thermal paste?

In BIOS, what were your CPU temps?

I have the GEN3 version of your mobo (pretty much the same) and here's how I overclocked to 4.5 Ghz from default settings:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271631-29-need-overclocking-asus-sabertooth-2500k

Assuming you are using an aftermarket CPU cooler, you could restore BIOS to default setting and give manual overclocking a try.

Starting with low voltages = safe

Starting with high voltages = extremely dangerous

LLC can also fry your stuff, if it only has on/off then so be it, but otherwise you should go for ~70% unless you need to push it to max.

Also, I wasn't aware turbo mode works once you start increasing the multiplier...?

Right, but I was under the impression that once you manually changed the multiplier, turbo stopped functioning. With my i5 750 I can only overclock the turbo boost higher because I'm able to adjust the base clock.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Well sandy doesn't like base clock tweaks. Its 100 by default, and Toms has tested and written that as soon as they hit 105 everything went wack, SATA corruption, etc.
I changed the "Target Turbo Multiplier" or something like that. I didnt touch the base clock. At stock settings, the 2500k clocks up to 3700mhz under stress, as its default turbo multiplier is 37. All I did was change that to 45.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Around 1:50 you can pause and look. It says "turbo ratio - by all cores" and then "By all cores - 45" Then under stress (prime) you look under cpu-z and see that your clock rate has gone up. (To 3700mhz at stock settings, or 4500mhz for my OC)

Sorry, I know what I'm talking about. :)

Ah, yeah. Seems like that's what I meant lol. Basically Turbo Boost is an Intel feature, where as this turbo ratio is an Asus name they decided to use.

Turbo boost has dynamic multipliers depending on CPU usage, so for example with 4 cores it could be 32x, 3C=33x, 2C=34x, 1C=35x.

The dynamic down clocking at idle to 9x is a little different. They both use EIST/Speed Step to function, but EIST can be enabled anyway. They both also require at least C3 idle states.

Anyway, next time just take it easy on the voltages ;)