Possible bottleneck by PCI card?

Salsa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Hi, I'm trying to extend the life of a dell dimension 2400 by adding a graphics card to make it able to play back HD video.

The processor and ram are:

2.2 GHz Northwood Pentium 4
1 GB of ram

The motherboard only accepts PCI graphics cards, and after some searching, I found this:

PNY VCG84512SPEB GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Video Card - Retail $39.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133245

Will this be bottlenecked by my processor, ram, or system? If possible, I'm planning to see if I can use this for light gaming too.

Solution
PCI interface will bottleneck for any real gaming, and HD video depends on the content. Copy-protected BR not likely to be smooth at all, but either open BR or else a good codec HD content should be fairly usable especially at 720P, as long as the bitrate isn't too high.

Both the P4 and weak GPU with very VERY limited interface will pose restictions, but you can work around them if you lower your expectations.
PCI interface will bottleneck for any real gaming, and HD video depends on the content. Copy-protected BR not likely to be smooth at all, but either open BR or else a good codec HD content should be fairly usable especially at 720P, as long as the bitrate isn't too high.

Both the P4 and weak GPU with very VERY limited interface will pose restictions, but you can work around them if you lower your expectations.

Solution