HELP: 1st time overclocker Q6600

MrFilmMaker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Hello everyone,

I have a Q6600 and I need to squeeze a bit more out of it. The thing is I am a total NooB when it comes to overclocking.

I'd like to get a bit more out of it without voltage or memory increase. I believe that is around 2.8?

I'd really appreciate any guide for dummies to the bios step by step to over clocking to the max WITHOUT playing with voltage/RAM speed.

I have attahced CPU -z images

Help is highly appreciated.

cpucpu.jpg

cpumainboard.jpg

cpumemory.jpg

cpuspeed.jpg

MrFilmMaker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
You might be able to bring your CPU higher than 2.4Ghz without increasing your FSB but... why would you not want to increase voltage?

The beauty of the Q6600 is that even an unexperienced user can easily OC a Q6600 to 3Ghz. As for a guide to OCing, i'd recommend Google (search your motherboard's name and add "overclocking", you'll get tones of results (perhaps even videos that'll take your through it).

Good luck.

MrFilmMaker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
After looking at BIO I realized asus MB had aLEVEL UP feature that allows automatic overclock. Options it has when selected: QX6700, 6800, 6850 and crazy.

QX6700 = 2.66 Gigahertz, QX6800 =2.93 Gigahertz QX6850 = 3.0 (there is also a crazy option but not sure of its speed)

So does that mean everything else (RAM,Voltage) is adjusted automatically? Anyone familiar with that feature?

So does that mean selecting one of these, it will OC and automatically adjust all other settings?.

deadlee690

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
the only way to oc a q6600 is with a increase to the cpu fsb. the 1066 is the speed of your ram. i have a q6600 running prime 95 stable at 3400mhz with a cpu fsb 377 and a cpu voltage of 1.58750v

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hey...make sure you monitor your CPU temp when overclocking. Are you cooling with water or air? If your cooling with air, then your cooling might be your "Bottleneck" sort'of speak.

MrFilmMaker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
cooling with after market cool master air. I am just not sure if I should use the "level up" feature on the asus mobo which is autamtically oc to 2.6 , 2.8, and 3.0. Will that also increase memory/voltage? Or amI better off going though bios (total Boob)

Thanks for clarification

MrFilmMaker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I have oc using level up feature in asus to Q6800 with FSB of 312 = 2.8
Eveything else was on auto.

Prime95 stress test shows temps of core at 86, 84, 78 , 77

Is that too hot? ANy recommendation for what to do next! I really need some expert advice please!

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

I overclocked the FSB and set the processor to 3GHz. Have four of them that have been running at that speed for a couple years. Works great. I did lose a stick of ram on one of them, but that could have been almost anything that caused that. Just bought another.

MrFilmMaker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
But 90 degrees on 2 cours and mid 80s on the other is high?!

The voltage was set auto at 1.35. So I tried setting lower from 1.15 all the way to 1.31 but it will not boot. SO had to undo the oc and go back to 2.4.

What did I do wrong???

If it ups the voltage using the level up, you cant decrease it and expect to work at the speeds it was trying to run at. Set the level up to whatever speed you want and run prime95 to make sure its stable. If you are getting those kinda temps on your CPU, you need to take off the heatsink and fan, clean the crap thermal wax they put on it and use something from Arctic Silver as thermal grease.

MrFilmMaker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I have after market coolmatser and before OC it is idle at 40. But with Prime95 stress test it jumps to 90 on 2 core and mid 80s on other 2. Is this a normal temp for stresst test.

Keep in mind I am only OC to 2.8.

Im not saying to replace your fan and heatsink, im saying to take it off and clean off the thermal wax garbage they put on the back that they try and pass off as thermal grease. Clean it til it shines, apply a small BB sized amount of Arctic Silver to the middle of your CPU and put the heatsink back on. Use Ceramique if you are new at using thermal grease as it doesnt conduct electricity.

bacoss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Leave the voltage alone, up the FSB to 400 for !:! and drop the multi to 8 from 9, 3.2 for 3 years straight like that

MrFilmMaker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The coolmater I just added a few months ago. CPU was overheating and after adding new cooler, temps idle are upper 30s low 40s.

So to jump to 90s (prime95 stresst test) with only 2.8 oc seems odd. SO maybe there is a setting that is generating al the extra heat?

deadlee690

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
after looking closer at your cpuz i noticed that you underclocked your cpu! im sorry but its all wrong, you have your multiplier at 6 with a bus speed of 267 which gives you a cpu speed of 1603mhz. your going to burn out your cpu if you keep giving it the normal 1.35v at that low of a speed, thats why its running so hot. try a multiplier of 9 and a bus speed of 333 which will give you a speed of 3ghz. good luck!

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

This is untrue.

First - Its instel SpeedStep technology that is dropping his CPU Speed.

Second - It doesnt matter if your running 900mhz @ 1.35v it is still going to run cooler and last longer than @ Stock or OC.

The last bit is a repeat of what we have said.

1.58 volts is too high.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That is SpeedStep automatically reducing your internal multiplier during low CPU loads. It also reduces your CPU voltage.

I see a lot of wrong answers in this thread.

The stock cooler is good for 3.0 GHz. Anything higher will require better cooling. The Hyper 212+ EVO is a great choice for around $40.
Suggests for appling thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index. [...] mitstart=0

Run your internal multiplier at max (X 9). That will minimize the load on your memory. After the CPU, memory and bad memory settings in the BIOS will be the second limiting factor in your overclock. Third will be your motherboard. Fourth will be your case and cooler.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide (generic guide based on an Asus motherboard)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to 2.2 volts. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00 - whatever you need to do to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz. A 2:3 ratio means that your FSB freq is 266 MHz and your memory clock is at 800 MHz.

This is important because if you leave your memory settings on Auto, DDR2-800 RAM will be running at DDR2-1000 speeds (or trying to) when you increase your FSB frequency to 333 MHz. You also want to keep the FSB:RAM ratio at 1:1. There are no practical gains to overclocking RAM in a Core2 systemand the improved stability is worth it.
Overclocking RAM:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth

I am unfamiliar with the Asus X48 BIOS (I use G'byte boards) so I cannot give you any advice on what settings to use. Learning to use the BIOS will enable you to overclock both farther and better.

Intel's max recommented voltage for the Q6600 is 1.50 volts. Max recommennded load temps is about 70 C.

Turn off Speed Step while you are working out your BIOS settings. Once you have finished testing, reenable it. There is no point to running at full speed when you do not need to.

I have a Q6600 in a G'byte EP45-UD3L, TRUE cooler, Antec 900 case running at 3.6 GHz. Stock voltage 1.2625 volts increased to 1.425 volts. Load temps are 61 C - 66 C, Prime95 stable after 24 hours.

There's a lot of discussion about how long you need to run P95. Consensus is 4 - 8 hours is adequate. I am just a little fanatical about stability. Start with the small fft's test. 15 minutes will maximize the core temps. Run it for about an hour. Then change to the blend tests. This will do a better job testing the memory settings. When they both run for an hour, you can start the final testing for as long as you see fit.

Keep in mind that these are guides, not cookbooks. YMMV. Because of all the variables, you may not do as well as someone else with a similar system. Or you might do better.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Listen to Rubix & Jsc

I've been in a few Q6600 threads with these 2 and they are extremely knowledgable in the subject.

Ive had one of these since release and was hindered by a 680i Chipset. So many hours of tweaking.

MrFilmMaker

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the great help. I think the coolmaster is ok as temps are upper 30s idle. So if I understand correctly, the high temps are caused by vcore and fsb increase. I only increased fsb to 312 to give me 2.8. So I am trying to narrow it down to what caused the spike in tempsafter oc. So to lower temp I need to manipulate one or both of these components right?