Sign in with
Your question

955 C3 compatible MOBO???

Last response: in Motherboards
April 1, 2010 2:01:56 AM

Hey all!

I'm having some issues making a MOBO decision on a new build. I am building around a AMD 955 c3 stepped proc. It seems ASUS' BIOS doesn't support the c3 chip.... at least what I have read.

Is this correct? Any other suggestions?

These are my requirements...

-I want OC support (not blazing but moderate)

-I will be running a dedicated GPU (5770) so I likely will not require onboard graphics (so no 790gx)...unless there is some value in maintaining onboard graphics support???

-I will likely crossfire in the future... but only duel cards (5770s). I don't think I need duel 16x PCIe....I'm OK with 2x 8x PCIe. Thus I probably don't need 790fx... unless it was on discount or something.

-USB 3 might be nice.

-Quality manufacturer with good QC. (don't want to play the 'why won't she post game')

Unclear about the impact of Gigabyte boards and their shared PCIe set-up... haven't considered them cause I don't understand the architecture. Maybe I should???

Anyway, any expert advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

More about : 955 compatible mobo

a b V Motherboard
April 1, 2010 3:08:06 AM

Some ASUS motherboards may already have been shipped with a BIOS that supports the Phenom II X4 C3 revision, but, I wouldn't know which ones. As for your requirements, most motherboards have decent overclocking support and there is no real advantage in having onboard graphics support if you want to use a dedicated graphics card. Considering that you don't need an extreme o/c board or more than two way CrossFireX, skip the 790FX chipset, and get a 790X based chipset motherboard instead.

Here's a list of available 790X chipset motherboards on newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I suggest the GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4, as it has CrossFireX (8x/8x, which you don't mind), SATA III and USB 3.0, and right out of the box its BIOS is ready for a Phenom II X4 955 C3 revision processor. The perfect motherboard which suits all your requirements.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What do you mean by Gigabyte's shared PCI-e setup?
April 1, 2010 7:27:41 PM

Quote:

Apparently Gigabyte MOBOs share part of the PCIe 16x pathways with the USB 3.0 and SATA path. In theory, if you were running 2 cards in both PCIe slots with a USB in use you wouldn't be getting 8x by 8x but something closer to 8x and 4x... I don't know if that is true or not. Maybe someone smarter than me could explain?

If it isn't true, that would open up a whole new set of cards from consideration.
Related resources
a c 292 V Motherboard
April 1, 2010 7:59:09 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- Not true, just some ASUS mobos have problems with the C3, but for example the M4A79T Deluxe or Crosshair III support the 955 C3 without problems.
2- ASUS and Gigabyte are good OC mobos, so, any one is a good option for your rig, but the best option for your at this time is the GIGABYTE 790XTA-UD4. Why?, because have SATA III and UBS 3.0 at a good price. Now, if you want something better, go for the 790FXTA ot wait for the Crosshair IV
a c 292 V Motherboard
April 1, 2010 8:00:28 PM

sixeven said:
Quote:

Apparently Gigabyte MOBOs share part of the PCIe 16x pathways with the USB 3.0 and SATA path. In theory, if you were running 2 cards in both PCIe slots with a USB in use you wouldn't be getting 8x by 8x but something closer to 8x and 4x... I don't know if that is true or not. Maybe someone smarter than me could explain?

If it isn't true, that would open up a whole new set of cards from consideration.

Yeah, that's true. But this problem is only in the X58 chipset that is for intel.
April 1, 2010 10:46:13 PM

Lmeow & Saint19,

Thanks! I also identified the GIGABYTE 790XTA-UD4 MOBO as a good deal but was unclear about the USB/SATA interference with the PCIe 16x pathways. It is good to hear that is not an issue! I know it will only support 8x (x2) with crossfire mode, but since I only plan on crossfiring 5770s, it will be a non issue (maybe 1-2%) on FPS. I can save my money over the 790FX boards!

a c 292 V Motherboard
April 1, 2010 10:53:47 PM

^Yeah, you won't see a big difference between x16 or x8, just 3 or 4 FPS more, if you keep in mind that the human eye only can see until 80 FPS (Don't remember fine)
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2010 10:02:34 AM

saint19 said:
Yeah, that's true. But this problem is only in the X58 chipset that is for intel.

OMG, I thought I found a voice of reason and then...

Gigabyte steals PCIe pathways from the graphics cards only on LGA1156 motherboards (eg P55) because those only HAVE sixteen PCIe 2.0 pathways to begin with.

Motherboard that have MORE than sixteen PCIe 2.0 lanes (pretty much, everything EXCEPT LGA1156) don't have this problem, and are thus not treated that way by Gigabyte.
!