Sign in with
Your question

1200$ Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
October 12, 2009 6:44:08 AM

Hey everyone. I been looking around here since I found this site while deciding on what to use to make a PC build. This is my first so it will be a new experience for me. Decided to make a build because factory made computers are too expensive for what I want it to do and for being on a pretty tight budget and my old PC is a way old Dell so I figure its time for the upgrade.

Decided to post here for some help because I am like a kid in a candy store when looking at these parts. Cant decide on anything. Thought some friendly advice would help me come to somewhat of a decision.

Thanks for any help that you all can do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 2 - 3 months

BUDGET RANGE: up to 1200$

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Programming, Gaming, Graphic Design & Photo Editing(Photoshop & Illustrator mostly), Normal Computer Stuff (ie Internet, Word, etc).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
Speakers
Monitor (I plan on getting a smaller on but for now I am gonna use my 32" LCD TV as a monitor and its resolution is 1080 x 720)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com and/or tigerdirect.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: I do prefer the look of NZXT and Coolmaster cases. Only looking for a Mid Tower Case do to space restraints.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want it to be somewhat quiet because I am in college and dont want to wake up my roommates when playing late at night.

More about : 1200 gaming

October 12, 2009 8:36:47 AM

"APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within 2 - 3 months "

Okay, come back in 2-3 months. Why? Because prices will vary. New products are coming. If we suggest you something now, it's totally different in 2-3 months.

Don't revive thread.
m
l
October 12, 2009 5:20:11 PM

I start all my planning 1.5 to 2 months out but agree prices will vary. My son has a build going (posted here on 09-04-2009) and so far prices gave gone up as follows:

Memory - up $8
CPU fans - up $7 each x 2
Mouse - Down $10

So by waiting, so far he's out about $12 :) . He's ordering on the 19th when newegg says they will start shipping Win7.

There are many ways to approach a build but when budget restraints knock ya down from where ya wanna be, I like to get a better case , PSU and MoBo and figure I can upgrade one or two items later. Also two months from now, I am going to assume prices will drop an estimated $50 so I'm gonna use $1250 as my target today.

Antec 902 case - $125
Antec TP650 PSU - $95 (near top PSU , overkill if never gonna OC or do twin video)
Asus P6T - $239
OCZ Gold CAS 8 DDR3 (6GB) - $129
1 TB Seagate 7200.12 - $89
Win7 OEM Home Premium - $99
i7 920 CPU - $279
Plextor PX-880A - $52 retail $44 (OEM)
XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB - $145

Total $1252
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2009 5:26:05 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I start all my planning 1.5 to 2 months out but agree prices will vary. My son has a build going (posted here on 09-04-2009) and so far prices gave gone up as follows:

Memory - up $8
CPU fans - up $7 each x 2
Mouse - Down $10

So by waiting, so far he's out about $12 :) . He's ordering on the 19th when newegg says they will start shipping Win7.

There are many ways to approach a build but when budget restraints knock ya down from where ya wanna be, I like to get a better case , PSU and MoBo and figure I can upgrade one or two items later. Also two months from now, I am going to assume prices will drop an estimated $50 so I'm gonna use $1250 as my target today.

Antec 902 case - $125
Antec TP650 PSU - $95 (near top PSU , overkill if never gonna OC or do twin video)
Asus P6T - $239
OCZ Gold CAS 8 DDR3 (6GB) - $129
1 TB Seagate 7200.12 - $89
Win7 OEM Home Premium - $99
i7 920 CPU - $279
Plextor PX-870A - $52
XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB - $145

Total $1252

What was the point reviving? 2-3 months left..

Okay, the PSU you suggested is a TP, not a earthwatts. Which means it's not as good for the price. like you said overkill if no crossfire/sli
Mine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

that Plextor PX-870A is IDE. wont work with p6t.

that's good ram tho.

to OP that O.S comes with free coupon to windows 7.
m
l
October 12, 2009 8:25:54 PM

overshocks said:
What was the point reviving? 2-3 months left..

Because many people don't start off their posts with "buying tonight" and like to spend 2 months +/- planning their next build. So I decided to comply with the OP's request rather than telling him to take a hike. Not much going to happen in next two months other than nVidia's gonna introduce something and ATI is gonna add some more 5xx cards.

Quote:
Okay, the PSU you suggested is a TP, not a earthwatts. Which means it's not as good for the price.

Earthwatts is the lower tier Antec below the Signature and TruePower lines. Given the budget, saw no reason to drop that far, especially for $10. The TP is a far better deal w/ $35 off the list price of $129 as opposed to $15 off the list price of the Earthwatts at $99.99 SO not only does the purchaser get a better PSU, he gets an additional $20 off to boot.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Quote:

Oops, it's the that Plextor PX-880SA

m
l
October 12, 2009 9:15:41 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Because many people don't start off their posts with "buying tonight" and like to spend 2 months +/- planning their next build. So I decided to comply with the OP's request rather than telling him to take a hike. Not much going to happen in next two months other than nVidia's gonna introduce something and ATI is gonna add some more 5xx cards.

Quote:
Okay, the PSU you suggested is a TP, not a earthwatts. Which means it's not as good for the price.

Earthwatts is the lower tier Antec below the Signature and TruePower lines. Given the budget, saw no reason to drop that far, especially for $10. The TP is a far better deal w/ $35 off the list price of $129 as opposed to $15 off the list price of the Earthwatts at $99.99 SO not only does the purchaser get a better PSU, he gets an additional $20 off to boot.

Quote:

Oops, it's the that Plextor PX-880SA

Was trying to save him so money, but you are right getting the TRUEPOWER is better when you have more money.

for the plextor px-880sa which one?
m
l
October 13, 2009 12:12:30 AM

The only difference is OEM versus Retail....typically the retail comes with a cable and software that may be missing from the OEM version as well as fancy box like you see in the store with features listed and perty pictures. The OEM is just a "white box".

Many times tho, the OEM version also comes with software. In any case, I had originally listed the $52 retail version but saving $8 for the OEM is worthwhile if ya don't need the cable (should be plenty in MoBo box)
m
l
October 13, 2009 1:16:50 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
The only difference is OEM versus Retail....typically the retail comes with a cable and software that may be missing from the OEM version as well as fancy box like you see in the store with features listed and perty pictures. The OEM is just a "white box".

Many times tho, the OEM version also comes with software. In any case, I had originally listed the $52 retail version but saving $8 for the OEM is worthwhile if ya don't need the cable (should be plenty in MoBo box)

Agree. But if say in another situation buying graphics card, get the one with aftermarket cooler that blows air outside the case. Just a heads up for the OP.
m
l
!