Sign in with
Your question

No graphics but I think it may be either the CPU or motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2009 2:35:56 AM

Hi, this is my first time to post, my problem is I am trying to upgrade my motherboard and cpu ,I bought a Gigabyte GA-819159 duo with a p4 3.4 MHz combo on ebay ,and the first thing I find is my agp graphics card won't fit so I get a new one (radeon hd4650)so I hook everything up and I get nothing so I get on the internet and find out which pin is supposed to have power (#9 pin has 5v )from my vga adapter and I get my vom out and sure enough there's 5v coming from my graphics card,now I'm believing it could a bad monitor so I change monitors with my wife's and still the same thing ,no graphics at all so now I have to believe it is either my motherboard or cpu ,Is there a way to eliminate the good stuff from the bad?
I have win xp home ,my power is 350w but I had to buy an adapter to make it a 24 pin,I have 750MB ram,when I turn the computer on all the fans come on but nothing else happens.I have taken the graphics card out and reinstalled it,
Thank you in advance for your help

Jearl
December 29, 2009 1:01:26 PM

Quote:
You bought it from eBay, right?

First off, the stuff you got from ebay might be destroyed by the previous owner-so reject all products
Second, check online( if you have an operatable computer) and see system requirements for ALL components( that may take a while, but it is cheaper that way)
Last, seek new hardware and OS. this stuff looks out-dated( no offense). There is some great stuff that you can get to build a brand new system under 800 dollars!

Hope this is helpfull!
dogman_1234
P.S. Don't buy electronic hardware from ebay, the previous owner might of abused it and is looking for money. Buy it ONLY if it is NEW and still FACTORY SEALED! That is a sure-end policy of good equipment!

Sounds like good advise to me , I was in the hope I could eliminate the bad and buy what is defective ie motherboard vs cpu
Jearl
m
l
December 29, 2009 1:18:19 PM

my suggestion would be check ur cpu & G-CARD IN ANY OTHER PC with same sockets...uhhh....i think i figured out.... check for damage in ur cpu socket pin......i had this issue... every fan functioned but nothing happened ..........
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2009 9:08:30 PM

Thanks ,I will do that and let you all know,I've got a bad feeling about this outcome.
If I need to buy another mobo and cpu can someone suggest one that will do for a non gamer?
m
l
December 30, 2009 8:29:48 AM

I have breadboarded my old motherboard and got a good start up and did the same with the new one with the same result as before ,I also gave the p4 an eyeball inspection and it all looked okay so I think I'm going to take dogman1234's advice and buy a new one from a store from pricegrabber.
can you all put me on the right track for a new motherboard?
Thanks for all the help
Jearl
m
l
December 31, 2009 1:27:50 AM

I have a p4 3.4MHz, but there's new developments ,I got surfing the net today and found that all p4 processors have to have a separate power source other than the main power so I pluged in the 4 prong power and it lit up like a christmas tree , I was a happy man for about 10 seconds when an error message came on and then the whole thing shut down the message was "system boot failure", at least I finally got it to post.
I'm thinking it has to do with the hdd?
Jearl
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 1:41:04 AM

brizo said:
I have a p4 3.4MHz, but there's new developments ,I got surfing the net today and found that all p4 processors have to have a separate power source other than the main power so I pluged in the 4 prong power and it lit up like a christmas tree , I was a happy man for about 10 seconds when an error message came on and then the whole thing shut down the message was "system boot failure", at least I finally got it to post.
I'm thinking it has to do with the hdd?
Jearl

try a clean install of windows
m
l
December 31, 2009 1:44:56 AM

actually the error message said "disk boot failure insert disk and hit any key"and then shut down ,actually every time I try something different it shuts down sooner.
m
l
December 31, 2009 1:34:24 PM

more progress , I have it now to where I can get into the bios and set the hdd to be the first to boot but I still get a continual post without a shutdown,just over and over ,I'm pretty sure the hdd is good because it's the same one I tested my old motherboard with a couple of days ago. I found a jumper last night and reset the bios to default as per the manual but I'm not sure it worked because when I went into the bios it still looked the same, maybe I can take the battery out for an hour or so, I also checked the voltage on it and it's just under 3v 2.90v
on the shut down problem I took the heatsink off of the processor and put some cooling gel ,that I had from another buils, on it and it worked I guess the p4 got hot now the fan ossilates but stays on.is there a special power supply for p4's?
The floppy was the #1 startup boot before but now it's the hdd.
anyone with a suggestion? I am thinking about trying to boot from a rescue disk if I can find one ,I'm sure I have one somewhere but now to find it.
I have xp home on the hard drive.I also have other computers at home to download a rescue disk if need be.
I hope you pro's don't get frustrated with me with all these dumb questions.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2009 2:19:59 PM

xp home does not like being booted on different motherboards. I repeat do a clean install.
m
l
!