Text Partly Disappears

cpuwhiz11

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
This is a rather curious (and vexing) problem that I believe is hardware related (probably graphics card related, hence its placement in this section) as it has happened on both Windows XP and Windows 7. Essentially on occasion (especially during intense system operation) text is either disappearing or become garbled. This happens mostly in web browsers (Firefox, Chrome, and IE). Let me furnish an example, occasionally well browsing only some of the text will display. It will reappear if I highlight it (and not disappear) or scroll down the page and then back up. Here is an example of what I mean.

forumpost2.png

See, you can tell that text should be there as the under line is, but no text displays.

This problem comes and goes, some days I have no problems other days only some of the text is gone. On especially bad days websites will be unreadable as there is practically no text at all. In these severe cases my workaround of highlighting text does not work. This problem also relates to drop down menus on forms and to the actual browser itself (the menus will not fully display the text in them sometimes). This problem will occasionally bleed into the OS itself as file names, and options will be missing unless moused over or highlighted.

Furthermore, this problem happens sometimes in games with the text being garbled or displaying improperly. Also, in order to make this problem even more odd, in addition to the text sometimes being garbled and displaying wrong, in Counter Strike: Source some of the gun images do not show up correctly. Like in this instance.

forumpost1.png

I know that this problem is not specifically related to my original problem, but it happens around the same time and in the same instances so I think it is related and important to note.

Now as to the root of this problem I am not quite sure, hence my post. Lets take a look at my computer specs:

OS: Windows 7 (Currently, although the problem happened in XP too)
Ram: 2 GB DDR2
Graphics Card: EVGA NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GT KO (256 MB) has the latest drivers
Processor: Intel Pentium D (Clock 2.66, Overclocked to 3.60)

I recognize that the processor is overclocked a tad, but when that modification was originally made the system was stable and was not experiencing this problem.

As far as things I have tried I have been pretty much stumped. I thought it was bad memory, but I ran memtest86+ several times and it reported no errors. I have reformatted and reinstalled my OS twice and the problem remains. I have done all the usual stuff to, tried running old graphics drivers, disabling anti-virus software, running a defragment, trying scandisk. As far as my current theories go I can think of three possibilities (although my hardware knowledge is poor so be unwilling to laugh if they seem naif) it is a power problem (maybe although I doubt it, all the computer components are only about a year old), my video card is broken in some way (I have inspected it and it seemed fine, I also dusted out the inside of my rig), or it is a heating issue (possible, but then why does my computer not crash).

I hope I was able to convey to everyone exactly what my problem is and the situation. If clarification is needed I will be happy to give more information. Thank you for your time (it is most appreciated, this is an odd and aggravating issue) and please forgive me if I missed another forum post about this issue (I searched, but was unable to find anything, its kind of an obscure error).

So, perplexing huh.

G

I've had exactly the same thing on my windows xp pro desktop pc at work (fujitsu siemens) and my laptop at home (hp) around the same time. on my work pc it eventually caused outlook 2007 to crash badly with error messages that couldn't be read because of the missing text! i've installed fresh windows 7 on work pc and it solved it (at least for now).

maybe it's malware related? work pc has a/v, laptop doesn't. I'm not convinced it's hardware related because I experienced it on two different machines. i'm planning on installing windows 7 on my laptop to fix it.

my symptoms include the partial text missing (affected by scrolling, hovering, moving window, highlighting, etc), window title bar graphics corrupt. Active Desktop Recovery constantly showing on desktop with "Restore my Active Desktop" button that does nothing but show an hourglass for a couple of seconds. Browsers seem to be the first affected, but maybe simply because it is the most text/graphics rendering intensive so we just notice it here first.

very hard to google for this type of thing with any accuracy.