can't preview desktop background

This is a clean install of Windows XP SP-2. In "Display Properties" window,
Desktop tab - the little monitor will not preview any selected image unless
the image is a bitmap. Any JPEG or GIF will not dispaly, although I can
still select from the list and apply. Once applied it will show on the
desktop as well as the little monitor.

--
~john aka: jopa
11 answers Last reply

    John,

    I can repro the problem very well. Type this in Start/Run.

    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

    This also turns On the Picture and Fax viewer, and as a side-effect fixes
    the problem at hand.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    "john aka:jopa" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    This is a clean install of Windows XP SP-2. In "Display Properties" window,
    Desktop tab - the little monitor will not preview any selected image unless
    the image is a bitmap. Any JPEG or GIF will not dispaly, although I can
    still select from the list and apply. Once applied it will show on the
    desktop as well as the little monitor.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    Thanks for reply but, still have problem. I then unregistered the
    shimgvw.dll. This had the effect of not allowing the little monitor to
    change at all even after I click Apply. The desktop would still change. I've
    now re-registered the DLL and am back where I started.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    > John,
    >
    > I can repro the problem very well. Type this in Start/Run.
    >
    > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    >
    > This also turns On the Picture and Fax viewer, and as a side-effect fixes
    > the problem at hand.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "john aka:jopa" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    > This is a clean install of Windows XP SP-2. In "Display Properties"
    > window,
    > Desktop tab - the little monitor will not preview any selected image
    > unless
    > the image is a bitmap. Any JPEG or GIF will not dispaly, although I can
    > still select from the list and apply. Once applied it will show on the
    > desktop as well as the little monitor.
    >
    > --
    > ~john aka: jopa

    Can you post the contents of this registry key?

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    "jopa66" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    Thanks for reply but, still have problem. I then unregistered the
    shimgvw.dll. This had the effect of not allowing the little monitor to
    change at all even after I click Apply. The desktop would still change. I've
    now re-registered the DLL and am back where I started.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    > John,
    >
    > I can repro the problem very well. Type this in Start/Run.
    >
    > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    >
    > This also turns On the Picture and Fax viewer, and as a side-effect fixes
    > the problem at hand.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "john aka:jopa" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    > This is a clean install of Windows XP SP-2. In "Display Properties"
    > window,
    > Desktop tab - the little monitor will not preview any selected image
    > unless
    > the image is a bitmap. Any JPEG or GIF will not dispaly, although I can
    > still select from the list and apply. Once applied it will show on the
    > desktop as well as the little monitor.
    >
    > --
    > ~john aka: jopa

    > Can you post the contents of this registry key?
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}]
    @="HTML Thumbnail Extractor"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}\InprocServer32]
    @="D:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\shimgvw.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}\ProgID]
    @="Shell.ThumbnailExtract.HTML.1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EAB841A0-9550-11CF-8C16-00805F1408F3}\VersionIndependentProgID]
    @="Shell.ThumbnailExtract.HTML.1"

    > And this key:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile]
    "EditFlags"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\DefaultIcon]
    @="\"%1\""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\ScriptHostEncode]
    @="{0CF774D0-F077-11D1-B1BC-00C04F86C324}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell]
    @="opennew"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Edit]
    @="&Edit"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Edit\command]
    @="\"D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office10\\msohtmed.exe\" %1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open]
    @="Open in S&ame Window"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"D:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe\" -nohome"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\ddeexec]
    @="\"file://%1\",,-1,,,,,"
    "NoActivateHandler"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\ddeexec\Application]
    @="IExplore"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\ddeexec\Topic]
    @="WWW_OpenURL"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\opennew]
    @="&Open"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\opennew\command]
    @="\"D:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe\" %1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\opennew\ddeexec]
    @="\"%1\",,-1,0,,,,"
    "NoActivateHandler"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\opennew\ddeexec\Application]
    @="IExplore"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\opennew\ddeexec\IfExec]
    @="*"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\opennew\ddeexec\Topic]
    @="WWW_OpenURLNewWindow"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Print]
    @="&Print"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Print\command]
    @="\"D:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office10\\msohtmed.exe\" /p %1"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\ShellEx]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\ShellEx\IconHandler]
    @="{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}"

    I also notice now in Windows Explorer that all "DLL" files have the icon
    related to shimgvw.dll
    This seems to be right after I registered that DLL.

    I appreciate your help with this. It sure has me confused.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "jopa66" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    > Thanks for reply but, still have problem. I then unregistered the
    > shimgvw.dll. This had the effect of not allowing the little monitor to
    > change at all even after I click Apply. The desktop would still change.
    > I've
    > now re-registered the DLL and am back where I started.
    >
    > --
    > ~john aka: jopa
    >

    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> John,
    >>
    >> I can repro the problem very well. Type this in Start/Run.
    >>
    >> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    >>
    >> This also turns On the Picture and Fax viewer, and as a side-effect fixes
    >> the problem at hand.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Window XP Shell/User
    >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >>

    >> "john aka:jopa" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    >> This is a clean install of Windows XP SP-2. In "Display Properties"
    >> window,
    >> Desktop tab - the little monitor will not preview any selected image
    >> unless
    >> the image is a bitmap. Any JPEG or GIF will not dispaly, although I can
    >> still select from the list and apply. Once applied it will show on the
    >> desktop as well as the little monitor.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ~john aka: jopa

    And this key:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "jopa66" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    Thanks for reply but, still have problem. I then unregistered the
    shimgvw.dll. This had the effect of not allowing the little monitor to
    change at all even after I click Apply. The desktop would still change. I've
    now re-registered the DLL and am back where I started.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    > John,
    >
    > I can repro the problem very well. Type this in Start/Run.
    >
    > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    >
    > This also turns On the Picture and Fax viewer, and as a side-effect fixes
    > the problem at hand.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "john aka:jopa" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    > This is a clean install of Windows XP SP-2. In "Display Properties"
    > window,
    > Desktop tab - the little monitor will not preview any selected image
    > unless
    > the image is a bitmap. Any JPEG or GIF will not dispaly, although I can
    > still select from the list and apply. Once applied it will show on the
    > desktop as well as the little monitor.
    >
    > --
    > ~john aka: jopa

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    It looks ok, but there is another possibility which I documented here.

    Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm

    --

> [...]

    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> John,
    >>
    >> I can repro the problem very well. Type this in Start/Run.
    >>
    >> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    >>
    >> This also turns On the Picture and Fax viewer, and as a side-effect fixes
    >> the problem at hand.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Window XP Shell/User
    >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >>

    >> "john aka:jopa" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    >> This is a clean install of Windows XP SP-2. In "Display Properties"
    >> window,
    >> Desktop tab - the little monitor will not preview any selected image
    >> unless
    >> the image is a bitmap. Any JPEG or GIF will not dispaly, although I can
    >> still select from the list and apply. Once applied it will show on the

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks Ramesh. I'll check it out in the morning. Need sleep.
    I'll let you know how I make out.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    > It looks ok, but there is another possibility which I documented here.
    >
    > Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks Ramesh, it worked.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    > Thanks Ramesh. I'll check it out in the morning. Need sleep.
    > I'll let you know how I make out.
    >
    > --
    > ~john aka: jopa
    >

    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> It looks ok, but there is another possibility which I documented here.
    >>
    >> Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Window XP Shell/User
    >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You're welcome. BTW, the htmlfile association had a key missing.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "jopa66" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    Thanks Ramesh, it worked.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    "jopa66" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    > Thanks Ramesh. I'll check it out in the morning. Need sleep.
    > I'll let you know how I make out.
    >
    > --
    > ~john aka: jopa
    >

    > "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> It looks ok, but there is another possibility which I documented here.
    >>
    >> Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Window XP Shell/User
    >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    > You're welcome. BTW, the htmlfile association had a key missing.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Hmmm.... that's the second time in two weeks that it has messed up. The
    first time I found the answer on your site via Google.
    See thread:
    Any good geeks out there?
    microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

    Since then, I've had to re-install Windows.XP (my fault) <g>. In setting it
    up again, the original problem re-occured and I think I now know which
    software did it. I did the repair again as you suggest here:
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/htmicon.htm but obviously this didn't correct
    everything. Thanks again for your help and I will certainly recommend your
    site as a valuable resource.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    > "jopa66" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    > Thanks Ramesh, it worked.
    >
    > --
    > ~john aka: jopa
    >

    > "jopa66" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Ramesh. I'll check it out in the morning. Need sleep.
    >> I'll let you know how I make out.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ~john aka: jopa
    >>

    >> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> It looks ok, but there is another possibility which I documented here.
    >>>
    >>> Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    >>> http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Window XP Shell/User
    >>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Well! That's a great feedback, jopa. I'll have to modify that note then.
    BTW, I did watch that thread in IE6 group last week and PA Bear (MVP IE/OE)
    also notified me about that kindly.

    --

    > You're welcome. BTW, the htmlfile association had a key missing.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Window XP Shell/User
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Hmmm.... that's the second time in two weeks that it has messed up. The
    first time I found the answer on your site via Google.
    See thread:
    Any good geeks out there?
    microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

    Since then, I've had to re-install Windows.XP (my fault) <g>. In setting it
    up again, the original problem re-occured and I think I now know which
    software did it. I did the repair again as you suggest here:
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/htmicon.htm but obviously this didn't correct
    everything. Thanks again for your help and I will certainly recommend your
    site as a valuable resource.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    > "jopa66" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    > Thanks Ramesh, it worked.
    >
    > --
    > ~john aka: jopa
    >

    > "jopa66" <jopa66@hotmail.com.no.spam.me> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Ramesh. I'll check it out in the morning. Need sleep.
    >> I'll let you know how I make out.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ~john aka: jopa
    >>

    >> "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> It looks ok, but there is another possibility which I documented here.
    >>>
    >>> Unable to preview JPG GIF and HTM files in Display Properties dialog:
    >>> http://www.winxptutor.com/noimgpreview.htm
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Window XP Shell/User
    >>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Configuration Desktops Monitors Windows XP