(Unsolved) I7 < 1.65v pls!!!

jamesyboy

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I've read numerous places that if your buying ddr3....well--you better have dimms that have less than a 1.65v supply...

I ran across a utility that came with my MB that says my ram is 1.8v...but it CLEARLY states on the memory packaging and various advertisements that this is 1.65v memory. How do i ensure that my ram isnt running hot? What utilities are recommended for this type of thing. I'm using OCZ obsidian 6gb DDR3 Triple-Channel memory. http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0322203

I had to manually set the speed of the ram in my MB to 1600mhz. Under auto i was reading some funky speeds on the different memory utilities out there...i read that i was getting anywhere from 850 to 1066. Whats going on here? I dont wanna blow my i7 ladies and gentlemen.

No, I would not recommend running it that high. It could damage or reduce the life of your chip. But first see what the BIOS says, it is the most accurate short of putting a voltmeter in.

If it agrees with 1.8V, I would highly suggest lowering the volts, even if that means reducing the ram speed to keep it stable.

Also, try CPUID's HWMonitor for another utility.