Sign in with
Your question

No POST, rarely boots on new rig GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P

Last response: in Systems
October 12, 2009 8:40:52 AM

Just built this rig for a friend and I'm running into some problems. In doing my research, there seems to be reports of similar problems with this mobo. My troubleshooting efforts have been nothing but confusing, however. I'm almost positive I'll need to RMA the mobo, but I'd like to get some feedback before I potentially spend more of my buddy's money.

Specs:
Athlon II x4 620 Propus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W

Sapphire Vapor-x 4890

I've seated and reseated everything numerous times with the same problems. 9 of 10 boots, there's no post and no video. Rarely it will boot which allowed me to install OS and drivers. On the rare occasion it boots, it does not give any post beeps. I've tried using either stick of ram in each individual slot-- no luck. I used a different video card from a working system and it booted the first time, but stopped after tried to put the second ram stick in. After removing the second dimm, it again would not boot or post. Eventually I was able to get it to boot consistently with the other video card and 1 stick of ram, until I reinstalled the 4890 which left me with no boot or post again.

Would the polarity of the start and reset switch jumpers have anything to do with this? The case I ordered didn't indicate polarity, but they appear to work whichever way they're bridged. I'm going to try resetting CMOS tomorrow (something I did forget to try), but it seems to me that the problem lies elsewhere.

It's frustrating because all my troubleshooting efforts have failed to pinpoint the problem. I'm out of idea's outside of RMA the mobo and hoping everything else is ok. Thanks for any help!
October 12, 2009 10:13:07 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm sure everything is installed correctly, but I'll follow that sticky point by point tomorrow to be 100% sure.

The x4 620 is listed as compatible per gigabytes website. Anecdotal reports from others using this combo never mention the need to update.

I suppose it's worth a try. Hopefully I can get it to boot for long enough to flash the bios.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2009 6:16:24 PM

Check the heat on the North Bridge. Just lightly touch the heatsink with your finger. If it's insanely hot, RMA the board. I've run into two of them that needed an RMA due to the heatsink not sitting flush with the NB chip. For some stupid reason, the thermal paste itself pretty much sticks the two surfaces together. If the two surfaces become "unstuck" from each other, it will not cool properly as the heatsink sits unbalanced on the chip.
m
l
October 16, 2009 6:28:25 AM

Thanks again for the reply!

I've done some more troubleshooting. Resetting cmos did nothing as I expected.

When I start up the rig, all the fans start as they should. However the 4890's fan will stop rhythmically in sets of two for a fraction of a second, and during this time a small red LED on the back of the card lights. Any clue as to what that means?

I also realized that this mobo doesn't have an onboard speaker, which explains the lack of post beeps (duh). As soon as I find one, I'll update.

Also, thanks erocker. I noticed the northbridge heatsink was completely loose, but it wasn't much hotter than I'd expect it to be. I can literally move it half an inch in either direction, which is reason enough to RMA the board. I just want to make sure everything else is ok.

Thanks again!
m
l
October 16, 2009 6:34:16 PM

Anyone else have any advise before I RMA this board?
m
l
October 16, 2009 6:45:32 PM

I am in the same worst situation, i'm Lukas from Italy, i've bought this shitty motherboard only 10 days ago but only today i have tested it,in a fisrt moment i have recognized that the vga (hd4870x2) doesn't work properly infact nothing was on monitor and i have seen that a blinking red led of the vga, the r819 was blinking and the pc seems to restart continuosly, in a first moment i was going to cry because i believe i have broken the vga, instead after resetting cmos and waiting for a while the situation return to normality, but a biggest problem was infesting my day, i tried to install an OS but everytime the system hang......so i think the ram was probably guilty.......i have done a memtest86+ and all ok, then i read what erocker said in this topic, the heatsink was tremendously hot!!! It's a normal thing that achieve that temperature??? th northbridge also seems very loose, i can move it easily........at the end i realized that my system hang is due to the unconceveible temperature that northbridge reach........it's a possibility or instead the big temperature reached doesn't mean nothing and instead i have to investigate on ram incompatibility??

I have 2 sticks each 1gb of Ocz platinum 1333 mhz 7-7-7-20 1.8volts

Thank you.......i'm seriously in trouble with this mobo....i hate it!!
m
l
October 16, 2009 6:46:45 PM

I am in the same worst situation, i'm Lukas from Italy, i've bought this shitty motherboard only 10 days ago but only today i have tested it,in a fisrt moment i have recognized that the vga (hd4870x2) doesn't work properly infact nothing was on monitor and i have seen that a blinking red led of the vga, the r819 was blinking and the pc seems to restart continuosly, in a first moment i was going to cry because i believe i have broken the vga, instead after resetting cmos and waiting for a while the situation return to normality, but a biggest problem was infesting my day, i tried to install an OS but everytime the system hang......so i think the ram was probably guilty.......i have done a memtest86+ and all ok, then i read what erocker said in this topic, the heatsink was tremendously hot!!! It's a normal thing that achieve that temperature??? th northbridge also seems very loose, i can move it easily........at the end i realized that my system hang is due to the unconceveible temperature that northbridge reach........it's a possibility or instead the big temperature reached doesn't mean nothing and instead i have to investigate on ram incompatibility??

I have 2 sticks each 1gb of Ocz platinum 1333 mhz 7-7-7-20 1.8volts

Thank you.......i'm seriously in trouble with this mobo....i hate it!!
m
l
October 16, 2009 11:15:56 PM

Thanks netcrusher, it definitely makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one with this problem.

Now, this begs the question of whether or not I should stick with this board once I RMA it. I've always been a fan of Gigabyte, this is my first problem with them and it's really dissapointing.

m
l
January 1, 2014 12:05:11 PM

Have you tried to reseat the northbridge? If at all possible, try reseating the northbridge.
m
l
!